rumor Nate Clements to the redskins

freester

will you have a similar attitude with willis in a few years? lee evans? jp?

Well....no. Probably not. Circumstances will dictate that, but we likely wont be able to resign willis, lee and JP if we give an 8 year 50 million dollar contract to NC (which isnt unreasonable at all)...Well it is...but thats about what the market will dictate.

I would HATE to get rid of NC, but IMO he is not a top 5 corner, and is arguably top 10. And is NOT worth 50 mil over 8 years.

Whether or not you WANT him back next year is irrelavant. He wont be back. TD will not pay that kind of cash. You need to come to terms with that.

So the question is now, what do you do.

Option A) Keep him for 05, franchise him and try to play the trade game. or.

Option B) Trade him now, select a PacMan Jones, Antrolle Rolle, or Mike Williams/Braylon Edwards and move on.

I think TD is wise to open the phone lines to offers on this one.

This trade should not be done until draft day and we know who/what is on the board, unless we are prepared to move down from the #9. That could be a really good move actually. Trade the #9, for a mid-late first and a 2nd. Pick up a Travis Johnson/Kalif Barnes/Heath Miller and an additional 2nd.

Man this woudl really turn the draft upside down. At least it will make it more fun to watch as a bills fan on draft day!

You would be wrong NOT to listen to offers.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would only consider this if Dan Snyder offered more than his first. TD vs. Snyder in a negotiation like this would be fun to see. Snyder is a pretty formidable business guy but the football team is his toy and when he covets a guy he overpays....

So how about their first and their third this year and maybe a conditional '06 pick based on Nate's playing time in '05--up to a second.

Younger, has more good years left in him, and the potential to be better.

300854[/snapback]

Age, Skills, support in the run game, potential difference maker on special teams...all factors...Nate is simply a better player

I don't know about trading Clements. If you do, your secondary will look something like this.....

Scenario 1...

CB 1st round pick & McGee. McGee had some good moments last year and definitely has a nose for the ball, but there were other games where he was getting turned inside out over and over again.

Safeties....Milloy & Vincent. No problem.

Scenario 2....

CB Vincent & McGee. See notes on McGee above. Vincent is getting older, his best days as a CB are behind him and as shown last year, can be very slow to recover from injuries.

Safeties...Milloy & Baker. Baker going from UDFA to starting free safety in one year is a lot to ask. I know he got some playing time last year, but I'd rather see Vincent back there.

Scenario 3...

McGee, Clements, Milloy & Vincent with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on a CB makes me feel a lot better about the upcoming season and beyond.

I don't know about trading Clements.  If you do, your secondary will look something like this.....

Scenario 1...

CB 1st round pick & McGee.  McGee had some good moments last year and definitely has a nose for the ball, but there were other games where he was getting turned inside out over and over again.

Safeties....Milloy & Vincent.  No problem.

Scenario 2....

CB Vincent & McGee. See notes on McGee above.  Vincent is getting older, his best days as a CB are behind him and as shown last year, can be very slow to recover from injuries.

Safeties...Milloy & Baker.  Baker going from UDFA to starting free safety in one year is a lot to ask.  I know he got some playing time last year, but I'd rather see Vincent back there.

Scenario 3...

McGee, Clements, Milloy & Vincent with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on a CB makes me feel a lot better about the upcoming season and beyond.

Don't count-out Kevin Thomas or Jabari Greer.

Well if hes worht that salary then pay him, which I think he is.

Infact I think Clements is worth the franchise tag next year if it comes to that.

Ugh...you people are missing the point here.

NC WILL NOT BE A BILL NEXT SEASON...TD WILL NOT PAY HIM.

Once you understand this, we can begin to assess exactly what is best for our club, now and for the future.

You have to listen to any offers at this point.

Well if hes worth that salary then pay him, which I think he is.

Possibly, but that's a HUGE chunk of money. Unless TD can get Nate to agree to an extension NOW, with a slight hometown discount, I say do the deal, draft a CB fairly early, and take your chances. Again as I mentioned above, hopefully Kevin Thomas and/or Jabari Greer are factors.

Possibly, but that's a HUGE chunk of money.  Unless TD can get Nate to agree to an extension NOW, with a slight hometown discount, I say do the deal, draft a CB fairly early, and take your chances.  Again as I mentioned above, hopefully Kevin Thomas and/or Jabari Greer are factors.

300867[/snapback]

anyone know if Ty Law is still available?

No matter what, i don't see Vincent moving back to corner. hes way too old and slow. plus a pretty decent fs.

anyone know if Ty Law is still available?

No matter what, i don't see Vincent moving back to corner.  hes way too old and slow.  plus a pretty decent fs.

300872[/snapback]

Law is still available, but a long way from signing with anyone. Until he can prove that he is healthy, he is a non-factor.

NC is my favorite Bill, and has been since the day we drafted him. I just love the way the guy plays and competes. But, not knowing what TD is thinking about the situation makes guessing a bit tough. I can see him shelling out a large amount of money for Nate (not #1 CB money though) to keep him here. I can also see him passing on paying him anything above what the 10th highest CB in the league makes. If the latter is the case, i wouldn't mind making a trade for the #9 pick, their 2nd rounder, and a conditional first day pick next year.

My demands are steep, but all rookies are gambles. NC is a certain #1 corner for at least the next 5 years of his career. Give me three picks all on the first day over the next two drafts, and i may be willing to part ways with my man Nate.

OK. Let me start by saying, If you can trade Clements for a 1st, you do it. The only reason we would trade him would be if he rejected TD's offer and TD feals he cant sign him.

Now, Who replaces Clements? Ty Law, if the Bills know he will be ready by opening day.

The Bills can play alot of cover 2 with the safties they have. Clements is, IMO the best CB in the NFL. But, you dont need the best CB if your coaching is good. I think Gray wants to play alot more cover 2, and having a shut down CB isnt a huge need in a cover 2 defense.

With our Safties, We just need someone who can get a nice Bump and play his area well. Ty Law would be perfect, even though he is slowing down. But who knows.

Also, I dont think Ty Law is that great a CB. He was a Cover 2 guy, and Its much easier to play cover 2 than Man up defense.

Considering that Clements is better than any CB prospect in this draft, and possibly better than any player in this draft, I would want more than the #9 overall pick.

I also want to say this: if this trade happens (and I doubt it will), I never want to see this team select a 1st round CB again. Ever. I'm sick of seeing this team waste 1st round picks on CBs that they have no intention of keeping past their initial contract.