Bills Mafia > Titans fans

Herc11

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You were there with @Augie

I’m starting to wonder if I should have traveled under an alias this trip. I usually (OK, sometimes) behave on these outings!  But I had a blast! Enjoyed seeing so many of you there! 

Edited by Augie

I will say as a Bills fan in Tennessee, I did not notice a lot of New York license plates. I know fans from NY came, but I think a lot of Bills fans came to the game were actually TN residents. My parents moved down here in 97 when I was in third grade, the cost of living/taxes/etc were just to much in NY! Even the little things add up, for example in TN we do not have state inspections on vehicles. 

On 10/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's a question for fans who went to Nashville. How did you like the tailgating in a downtown setting? That could be the Bills future.

We tailgated in parking lot adjacent to the stadium property just like we do in Buffalo.    Tailgating was close to the same for us.   Downside was we walked there from our hotel room in the morning and it was a long ass walk.     Saw lots of Bills tailgating both on and off stadium property.    Saw a little Titan fan tailgating but nothing like it is in Orchard Park.

I admit it was nice being able to walk to the nicer bars on the Broadway strip after the game and walk back to the hotel afterward.

So glad to have experienced that many Bills fans at an away game.   Has to be a record.   It was unbelievable.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:55 PM, Virgil said:

How were the Titans fans?  I have to imagine it was deflating to see so many Bills fans show up and how loud we were.

Met and talked to a bunch of Titan fans.

Every single one I met was classy - even amongst being overrun by Bills fans.  

One guy in particular, who was there with his 12-13 year old son, commented that people in general around there are welcoming to out of town folk.   He said that is the way it is in the south.   Most people are nice.    Based on my experience, it seemed he spoke the truth.

I can definitely see why people want to live there.    There are construction cranes everywhere.  Looks like the place is booming for business.   I counted a dozen large construction cranes in view when walking a couple blocks from the hotel to a restaurant.     I have never seen that many cranes in Buffalo or Rochester.    I mentioned it to another guy who was there.   He claimed there were way more cranes there than that.

Fun city.  Decent people.  Great weather.   Great entertainment.   Good food.   Low property taxes.   Lots of work.   They have much to be thankful for.

Tennessee just bumped up a notch on my list of potential places to retire or perhaps relocate before retiring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I will say as a Bills fan in Tennessee, I did not notice a lot of New York license plates. I know fans from NY came, but I think a lot of Bills fans came to the game were actually TN residents. My parents moved down here in 97 when I was in third grade, the cost of living/taxes/etc were just to much in NY! Even the little things add up, for example in TN we do not have state inspections on vehicles. 

Factually inaccurate....

yes dome have moved to nadhville srea lime my brother my brother and his wife ( she’s from buffalo too) have lived there almost 35 years.

the flights to nadhville were booked solid.

i was on a flight out st non on Monday got cancelled and couldn’t fly out till today because all plane seats taken.

nashville is an area you don’t necessarily need rental car to go and see the game.  A car measure is faulty.

11 of us came down. I came from dc, others drive from buffalo.

other buffalo transplants live in places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, dc, Philadelphia, and other cities.  Nashville is a destination city so many can easily travel there.

2 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Factually inaccurate....

yes dome have moved to nadhville srea lime my brother my brother and his wife ( she’s from buffalo too) have lived there almost 35 years.

i was on a flight out st non on Monday got cancelled and couldn’t fly out till today because all plane seats taken.

nashville is an area you don’t necessarily need rental car to go and see the game.  A car measure is faulty.

other buffalo transplants live in places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, dc, Philadelphia, and other cities.  Nashville is a destination city so many can easily travel there.

What was "factually inaccurate" about letsgoteam's post? 

That he didn't see many NY plates?

That many former WNYers might actually live in Tennessee or nearby enough to drive?

That he knew a lot of people from NY came?

I can't see anything you posted that contradicts anything he/she posted.

32 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

No offense, but license plates are NOT a good indicator of anything. People drive in, they fly in, they have rental cars, etc.  I’d be willing to bet most of those blue and red jerseys were former WNYers, or just acquired fans over the years. I knew at least two dozen people I hung out with over the course of the weekend, and only one was a person from TN, a friend of my son’s and we bought his ticket.

Bills fans have moved all over the country, and we travel well, just not always from WNY. Off the top of my head, I’d say I met folks from 6-8 different states that were NOT Tennessee. Cities like Nashville, Vegas, Florida in the winter, etc. just happen to draw well. 

8 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Met and talked to a bunch of Titan fans.

Every single one I met was classy - even amongst being overrun by Bills fans.  

One guy in particular, who was there with his 12-13 year old son, commented that people in general around there are welcoming to out of town folk.   He said that is the way it is in the south.   Most people are nice.    Based on my experience, it seemed he spoke the truth.

I can definitely see why people want to live there.    There are construction cranes everywhere.  Looks like the place is booming for business.   I counted a dozen large construction cranes in view when walking a couple blocks from the hotel to a restaurant.     I have never seen that many cranes in Buffalo or Rochester.    I mentioned it to another guy who was there.   He claimed there were way more cranes there than that.

Fun city.  Decent people.  Great weather.   Great entertainment.   Good food.   Low property taxes.   Lots of work.   They have much to be thankful for.

Tennessee just bumped up a notch on my list of potential places to retire or perhaps relocate before retiring.

My brother gas lived in Nashville almost 25 years. I visited numerous times.

tennesee has crud benefits st the stste levrl compared to ny stste.

the state doesn’t have income taxes. It has a high sales tax. It has lower property taxes which hurt their infradtyre.

the city has had a lot of development in the last 10 years. Downtown area was downtrodden 20+ yrs ago.  There are still parts inside the interstate loop around downtown that is getting developed like the area around the gulch.

they don’t have good public transit and rush hr traffic isbad.

by the way..bless your heart is an Insult.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

No offense, but license plates are NOT a good indicator of anything. People drive in, they fly in, they have rental cars, etc.  I’d be willing to bet most of those blue and red jerseys were former WNYers, or just acquired fans over the years. I knew at least two dozen people I hung out with over the course of the weekend, and only one was a person from TN, a friend of my son’s and we bought his ticket.

Bills fans have moved all over the country, and we travel well, just not always from WNY. Off the top of my head, I’d say I met folks from 6-8 different states that were NOT Tennessee. Cities like Nashville, Vegas, Florida in the winter, etc. just happen to draw well. 

You are probably right about license plates. 

But that doesn't negate his statement that "a lot of Bills fans" might have come from TN. Both of those things can be true.

Just now, djp14150 said:

by the way..bless your heart is an Insult.

:lol:  Yes, it certainly can be.

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

You are probably right about license plates. 

But that doesn't negate his statement that "a lot of Bills fans" might have come from TN. Both of those things can be true.

:lol:  Yes, it certainly can be.

I’m not arguing that some were “locals”, but I knew dozens there, and spoke with MANY dozens more. The only TN guy in Bills gear out of that crowd  was one I invited. Heck, if I lived in WNY I’m flying to that one! I’d say a small minority were from TN. WNY and “other” were the vast majority I found all over town all weekend. 

Regardless, the point is Bills fans travel like crazy, from all over, near and far! 

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All fair enough points. But...

I typically spend well over $100 on tailgating supplies every game. This entire weekend, I spent $50 at the bars. Maybe $100 total if I add in food. It's a wash on price really.

When the Bills start winning, the football fans will come back and replace the "frat kids" that attend games now. The people who get blackout drunk and dont even make it into the game. When the Bills are good, the fans will want to stay sober enough to actually see the game.

The trend of "crazy" tailgating only started when we needed to come up with a reason to go since no one wanted to watch the team. Sure, people always drank and had a good time, but not at the current levels of debauchery until the 2000s.

Ha, winning the Super Bowl is a whole different mess. When we do, I'll be up there to loot and riot as well :devil::thumbsup:

I don’t get why you aren’t separating a regular well planned tailgate from the craziness. 

Not everyone that loves to tailgate is getting blacked out and jumping through tables. In fact I would say the majority don’t. 

I personally love getting a well planned out tailgate gathering.  I love taking a loaded truck full of food and wood up for a fire. The ones cooking usually love cooking. People do that stuff because they enjoy it. It’s not some huge burden. IMO Bar hopping isn’t a unique gameday experience in the least. They can keep that down in Nashville. 

Also I have no clue how you only spent $50 in bars all weekend. My wife and I drop that in 15 minutes at any cheap rural bar with a couple of drinks and food. It’s 100% cheaper for a group of us to get together and tailgate. 

Im with @Gugny . Let me grab my weapon of choice from my own cooler instead of waiting on a bartender and paying $3-6 a drink,  and eat some well prepared game day recipes. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As others mentioned, it's definitely easier.

There was no real tailgating. Maybe a few Tenn fans in their season ticket holder lot, with small setups. And a couple of large corporate tents. So there is no "real" tailgating, if that is what you want. But Nashville has it setup so getting in and out of the stadium pushes you through the Broadway bar strip.

Didnt have to pack a cooler, didnt have to pack a grill, didnt have to pack supplies, didnt have to go grocery shopping the day before to stock up, didnt have to get out early just to get the fire going, didnt have to start cleaning up and packing up to make the game. Just got in an uber and went to the bars for a couple hours, then walked to the stadium.

Oh, it rained the entire morning (9-11am), but we didnt notice because we were in the bars. It let up right as we left for the stadium, so no being wet or trapped in rain gear for the whole day.

I come from a line of intense tailgaters, some of my dad's parties were legendary, but this was so easy and all the BS is left to someone else. You can still meet up with friends and have the pre-game camaraderie.

I could get used to it.

In the south tailgsiting is more is more common in college football.

with thus being a downtown stadium, tailgating is harder.  Don’t have the places to park.

other cities this is the case too where stadiums are in downtown areas.

i  was eith a group thst set up what amounted to a private tailgate party just on the east side of the stadium near the quality inn.

it cost $30 and thry had beer, snacks, and grilled food.

my brother lives about 1.5 miles from the stadium.  2 didn’t go to the game. Thry drove us to near where the tailgate was and dropped us off.  Then we met up with them by the arena in downtown where we walked over the bridge thrn cut through the city to the meeting point.

there were other similar tailgating going on.

45 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I don’t get why you aren’t separating a regular well planned tailgate from the craziness. 

Not everyone that loves to tailgate is getting blacked out and jumping through tables. In fact I would say the majority don’t. 

I personally love getting a well planned out tailgate gathering.  I love taking a loaded truck full of food and wood up for a fire. The ones cooking usually love cooking. People do that stuff because they enjoy it. It’s not some huge burden. IMO Bar hopping isn’t a unique gameday experience in the least. They can keep down in Nashville. 

Also I have no clue how you spent $50 in bars all weekend. My wife and I drop that in 15 minutes at any cheap rural bar with a couple of drinks and food. It’s 100% cheaper for a group of us to get together and tailgate. 

Im with @Gugny . Let me grab my weapon of choice from my own cooler instead of waiting on a bartender and paying $3-6 a drink,  and eat some well prepared game day recipes. 

Agree 100%. It's EASIER to go to a bar, but is is better? Not for me.  IMO, if the Bills move their stadium downtown we'll adapt and survive. But I'm again' it. I love the current, unique, pre-game atmosphere at the Cap. And, yes, there is a bit too much craziness. But if you don't bother with that, or hang out at those tailgates, I can't understand why it would bother you all that much. Now, I'm no longer in WNY so my opinion means squat and I understand that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Dean said:

Agree 100%. It's EASIER to go to a bar, but is is better? Not for me.  IMO, if the Bills move their stadium downtown we'll adapt and survive. But I'm again' it. I love the current, unique, pre-game atmosphere at the Cap. And, yes, there is a bit too much craziness. But if you don't bother with that, or hang out at those tailgates, I can't understand why it would bother you all that much. Now, I'm no longer in WNY so my opinion means squat and I understand that.

I agree 100% with all of this. I’m sure they’ll move it into town at some point and that will be a sad day for me and the large amount of people I consider my gameday crew. It’ll make our gameday experience the like just another downtown stadium.... BLAH. 

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

Factually inaccurate....

I know that lots of people came from out of state, I was stating what I had seen in the parking lots and on the interstate ( I live in East Tn). I do know on Saturday at a cross country meet I had my Bills gear on and several people asked if I was going to the game on Sunday and those people were fans and some of them were going as well! I was just trying to say I think we do have a lot of Bills fans across TN! Also fun side note, my local TJ Maxx is a basically a Buffalo Bills outlet store with lots of Nike gear and New Era hats, it is amazing!!!

GO BILLS!

I'm a Tonawanda native now living in Kentucky about 2 hours from Nashville.

Took my family to the game this weekend.  Bills' fans were clearly the majority in the stadium on Sunday.

Nashville is a wonderful town and it has started to boom in the last decade or so.  It's now one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S.  Lots of people and businesses moving there from the Northeast.  Booming economy, no state income taxes, great food and music scene, safe downtown area.  My wife and I spend a lot of weekends there.  My son and I came down in the Spring to be there for the NFL draft, that was a great time too.

Nothing but good stuff to say about Nashville.   I wish the Bills played there every season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1