Daboll Monday Presser

As I was reading the Buff News this week, I was surprised to note the Bills were 4th in offense in the AFC.  It seems things could be worse, they certainly have been in the past.  Lets see how far this face lift goes, but, so far, there is progress.  Daboll looks competant to me, better than many we have had here.

26 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I would have been fine with benching Allen for a drive or two against the PATs last week.  He needs to learn that there's 51 other guys counting on him to not be a knucklehead, and if he doesn't get that, then he's not gonna play.

Agree on that. Same with any player. Stand with coach and have coach explain what he is missing while others play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

What he says to the public and what he says behind closed doors to his players I'm sure are 2 different things.  He is being smart with his words in public because the fans don't need to know every thing that goes through his mind. He is not going to say something that sparks affect or controversy.  The dumb coaches are the ones who shoot their mouth off and run their mouths like Rex Ryan.

You could tell from the question and response at the end that he is feeling a little frustration with Josh Allen, but he also ended on a positive note saying "he's a very competitive guy...he wants to get better.  And he will."

20 minutes ago, eball said:

I heard some insightful comments from Charlie Weis earlier this week when discussing how to bring along a young QB.  He wasn't talking about Josh Allen but he said when you have a young QB you don't try to have him do everything.  You look at what he does well and is comfortable with and you start there.  You add little pieces bit by bit but you don't overwhelm the guy.  He said that's what they did with Brady.  When Brady first took over they were a dink and dunk offense because that's what Brady did well.  It wasn't until later that they developed the deep ball with him.

Making your young QB comfortable isn't "babysitting" -- it's giving him a solid base from which to develop.  Josh has now had the equivalent of one season's worth of starting experience.  I don't think they're going to tell him "don't run" or "don't try to make a play" -- but they need to drive it into his head that he's got to TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL and take care of his body.

This is a polite way to explain what I was snarky about with my example, but Yes, This.  It's not "babysitting" to give a QB a solid base of things he's comfortable with, then add on any more than it's "babysitting" to give a young maths student a solid base of less complex operations before you open things up. 

You're absolutely correct about Brady, and even more - there were rumors that in his early years in the league, Brady's helmet was modified illegally to not cut off 15 seconds before the snap, so that Belichek could assist him tell him what the coverage was.

Meanwhile, there are some QBs who pretty much got thrown into it, and who eventually developed, but took much longer than they could have and needed first to get with a coach who would work with them to simplify and be sure they understood (Alex Smith perhaps the best known example, Nick Foles another).

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Our first series on offense started with designed easy throws that Allen either had bated or missed completely. As an OC if your QB is having trouble seeing the field and getting the ball out accurately then there isn’t a whole lot you can do in the passing game 

Yeah, I agree.  For some reason, I think Allen got a little nerved up in that game.  He's made those short and intermediate throws to open receivers this season, but Sunday, he had trouble being consistent on pretty much everything.  Not only were his deep throws usually ill advised, they were inaccurate too.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

apologies if buried somewhere, couldn't find it

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brian-daboll-be-smart-with-the-football

I didn't like the game Daboll called so far as I could see (haven't had the chance to watch coaches film yet), but I liked how he repeatedly Cowboyed up in the presser and said "we've got to be better...that starts with me, I've got to be better" and "I've got to give him (Josh) plays where he can be smart with the football".

I especially liked his response to someone's question  "what identity are you searching for in terms of this offense?" and he said "Score points.  And take care of the ball."

Daboll's pressers kind of bring life the almost inconceivable notion that Bill Belicheck****** and Father Christmas had a Love Child.  Daboll stands up there all good-natured and smiley-looking and when you come down to it, he really hasn't said that much more than the Hoodie ever does, he's just more jollier-looking while he's not saying much.

He also says any derogatory statements towards Tom Brady should have impunity no matter how crass them may seem...❤️

35 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Yeah, I agree.  For some reason, I think Allen got a little nerved up in that game.  He's made those short and intermediate throws to open receivers this season, but Sunday, he had trouble being consistent on pretty much everything.  Not only were his deep throws usually ill advised, they were inaccurate too.

...certainly will NOT offer excuses....Dr Chandler 81's post about the concussion possibly occurring much earlier is interesting.......the kid with his size, agility and arm sometimes plays with his heart before his head.....Daboll, Palmer & Dorsey will have to tame the "lion hearted"......but I could see an "adrenaline amp up" at home versus Brady and his gaudy 30-3 record vs Bflo.....

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

DO NOT GET ALL CONSERVATIVE. I don’t want a Team to Babysit my QB. I want to know my QB is an asset not a liability. If you have to babysit then you need a new QB. 

The Steelers most definitely "babysat" Ben Rothliesberger the first couple of seasons. The Patriots "babysat" Brady in his first couple as well. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

The Steelers most definitely "babysat" Ben Rothliesberger the first couple of seasons. The Patriots "babysat" Brady in his first couple as well. 

...BUT....15 starts is a CAREER at TBD........imagine Peyton starting 3-13 here?......gallows son......

• Like (+1) 1

all 22 on cover 1 was showing alot of underneath recievers were open on the ints. allen just missed them and mistargeted guys when they did get a few steps because he forgot how to set his feet. 

personally i really like dabs offense. lots of movement and constantly changing personnel to create mismatches, RPOs!! we finally seem to be in the 21st century. a flee flicker throw that was a hand swipe from putting us in the lead!

alot better then straight forward runs and 3rd down passes from the past. i think one more year allen settles down and we can put full draft and fa into our weaknesses and it will be a cohesive machine.

if i had one major complaint it is the rb depth. yeldon isnt much of a force running and its insane to want gore to carry the load so thats alot to put on a unproven rookie! 

also if your going to be aggressive enough to ask about AB then you know your wr are lacking and you had cap to secure a better option then zay. at some point you have to go for it and hopfully this defense will not go to waste as we wait for "next year".

1 hour ago, eball said:

Well, you and I will never know if that is happening so it's a pretty senseless discussion.  In any event, I disagree with your use of the term "babysitting" in this context.  Nobody will be "babysitting" Allen.

agreed
and grasping the play book from a man who has 16 years in the League working with so many different High level guys is nearly impossible.
Each week is different and he gives Josh options of attack for success. Josh never needs the whole playbook. He is not the one designing the game day or making the adjustments during the game.

Josh needs to understand what Daboll is asking of him and execute. he is welcome to learn as much on his on and ask all the questions i am sure

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Not that I'm doubting you, but can you provide a link to any reports that he's sulking? I haven't heard that at all. In fact, the ONLY article I've read all offseason regarding his mood and disposition is that he's been attached at the hip to John Brown, trying to learn from him, and has maintained a great attitude. 

As far as the injury: I've heard turf toe and groin, but never ankle.

Can you provide a link to either piece of info?

You may be right about specific foot injury. Sulking? I follow the Bills. It’s available.

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You may be right about specific foot injury. Sulking? I follow the Bills. It’s available.

I hope this isn't something non-football related between McDermott and Foster.  Foster was a full participant in practice today (injury listed as groin), so I'd think he's a go for Sunday.  Bottom line is that Foster is the ONLY deep threat on this team other than John Brown.  We need him.  And if McDermott doesn't want to play him, then he should just get rid of him and, somehow, replace him with another deep threat.

Or ... just stop throwing deep balls.  Because throwing them to Zay Jones ain't workin'.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

all 22 on cover 1 was showing alot of underneath recievers were open on the ints. allen just missed them and mistargeted guys when they did get a few steps because he forgot how to set his feet. 

personally i really like dabs offense. lots of movement and constantly changing personnel to create mismatches, RPOs!! we finally seem to be in the 21st century. a flee flicker throw that was a hand swipe from putting us in the lead!

alot better then straight forward runs and 3rd down passes from the past. i think one more year allen settles down and we can put full draft and fa into our weaknesses and it will be a cohesive machine.

if i had one major complaint it is the rb depth. yeldon isnt much of a force running and its insane to want gore to carry the load so thats alot to put on a unproven rookie! 

also if your going to be aggressive enough to ask about AB then you know your wr are lacking and you had cap to secure a better option then zay. at some point you have to go for it and hopfully this defense will not go to waste as we wait for "next year".

Serious question who did you think was available at WR that you wanted them to sign?

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I just want someone to ask Daboll why Robert Foster, with whom Josh Allen had a 127 QB rating last year when the two connected -- has only gotten 2 targets thus far this season whilst Zay Jones continues to ***** himself on national TV.

I asked the same question. The answer I got was that Foster sucked!

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I hope this isn't something non-football related between McDermott and Foster.  Foster was a full participant in practice today (injury listed as groin), so I'd think he's a go for Sunday.  Bottom line is that Foster is the ONLY deep threat on this team other than John Brown.  We need him.  And if McDermott doesn't want to play him, then he should just get rid of him and, somehow, replace him with another deep threat.

Or ... just stop throwing deep balls.  Because throwing them to Zay Jones ain't workin'.

Doesn't Roberts run pretty good deep routes?  I could be mis-remembering but I thought this was noticed during training camp, and also that he's pretty fast.

I do agree about the throwing deep balls to Zay though.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Doesn't Roberts run pretty good deep routes?  I could be mis-remembering but I thought this was noticed during training camp, and also that he's pretty fast.

I do agree about the throwing deep balls to Zay though.

I totally forgot about Roberts as a deep threat.  I always think ST when I think of him.

My biggest question coming off of the NE* game is .... where the hell was McKenzie?  I thought for sure he'd be featured with Singletary out.