Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

At this point give me Allen over the others guys.

Better than mariota, time will tell regarding darnold and Mayfield.

I follow buffalo from the UK since the Superbowl losses in the 90s. I root for the hope we can win one someday.

Allen is similarly easy to root for but time will tell if he's good enough.

He's exciting to watch aswell. Darnold may be better but not as exciting. 

Go bills

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's way more then Allen turning the ball over. 

* There have been bad drops.  Both our rookie TE's dropped passes that stopped these kinds of drives against TN.

*  There have been sacks, which sometimes are on Allen but other times on the O-line.

*  There have been bad penalties.  Remember that dead ball PF against Feliciano that took us out of FG range against the Jets?  Or those other holding penalties that stalled out drives?

*  Play calling sometimes gets goofy when we get into this area.  Remember the Allen QB sneak on 4th & 2 at TN?  Or how about the McKenzie jet sweep on 3rd & 1 against Cincy?

The good news is that this is all fixable. 

I know it’s not ALL Allen but he is on pace to finish this season with 22 interceptions. 

55 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You don’t know my history of praise and criticism  but still asked the question as if I’ve never acknowledged or praised him for anything good he’s done? 

Is it not a legitimate point? Do you not have a problem with how many times Allen turns the ball over or the fact that we are 26th in the league in points scored at 18 per game? 

Your previous praise or criticism is not relevant to the narrow discussion of his 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives relative to his peers that I introduced, so there’s no need to be defensive about it. 

I have as big a problem with Allen’s turnovers as anyone else. 

I just don’t have a problem with taking a positive and immediately putting a negative spin on it. You and others apparently do. Enough said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's way more then Allen turning the ball over. 

* There have been bad drops.  Both our rookie TE's dropped passes that stopped these kinds of drives against TN.

*  There have been sacks, which sometimes are on Allen but other times on the O-line.

*  There have been bad penalties.  Remember that dead ball PF against Feliciano that took us out of FG range against the Jets?  Or those other holding penalties that stalled out drives?

*  Play calling sometimes gets goofy when we get into this area.  Remember the Allen QB sneak on 4th & 2 at TN?  Or how about the McKenzie jet sweep on 3rd & 1 against Cincy?

The good news is that this is all fixable. 

I don't think any of this is all that very surprising given all of the new talent on offense.  I think the most frustrating thing for me this season have been the motion penalties on the O line.  It seems every time we are already starting deep, we make it deeper.  Everything changes when we go first and ten from the 15 to first and 15 from the 10.  Drive killers before the drive begins.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

You don’t know my history of praise and criticism  but still asked the question as if I’ve never acknowledged or praised him for anything good he’s done? 

Is it not a legitimate point? Do you not have a problem with how many times Allen turns the ball over or the fact that we are 26th in the league in points scored at 18 per game? 

I'm actually not as concerned as you are in regards to average points in the league.  Coaching philosophies dictate that to a large degree.  Slower, methodical, offenses score fewer points while giving defenses more time to rest.  Pass happy, explosive offenses have their defenses on the field a hullava lot more.  Of course, I've always been a disciple of defense.  I enjoy 21-17 pt games more than I do 45-38 type games.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'm actually not as concerned as you are in regards to average points in the league.  Coaching philosophies dictate that to a large degree.  Slower, methodical, offenses score fewer points while giving defenses more time to rest.  Pass happy, explosive offenses have their defenses on the field a hullava lot more.  Of course, I've always been a disciple of defense.  I enjoy 21-17 pt games more than I do 45-38 type games.

You don’t actually believe this right?

Ive never heard of an offense who is not trying to score as many points as possible. Isn’t that their job?

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

... Is it not a legitimate point? Do you not have a problem with how many times Allen turns the ball over or the fact that we are 26th in the league in points scored at 18 per game? ...

i'd say it's still quite early to make an accurate observation with regard to points scored per game. consider that two of our games were against the top rated and sixth rated defenses in points allowed. NE @ 6.8 PPG and Tennessee @15.2 PPG allowed. 

the kid has just played his 16th game at the pro level, he is progressing by all appearances. can we just calm down a bit and give him a chance to grow into his new shoes a bit here? it has been close to two decades since we have had even a whiff of what we are now experiencing. enjoy it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Your previous praise or criticism is not relevant to the narrow discussion of his 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives relative to his peers that I introduced, so there’s no need to be defensive about it. 

I have as big a problem with Allen’s turnovers as anyone else. 

I just don’t have a problem with taking a positive and immediately putting a negative spin on it. You and others apparently do. Enough said.

If anything we at least agree that his turnovers need to be cleaned up.

38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You don’t actually believe this right?

Ive never heard of an offense who is not trying to score as many points as possible. Isn’t that their job?

Of course every team wants to score on every possession, but that wasn't my point.  Many teams don't want to score as fast as they can.  They want to use clock, tire out the opposing defense and give their own defense time to rest.  Methodical drives down the field are important to winning, and of course winning is everyone's job (rather than scoring as many points as you can).

Don't confuse total points scored with the number of possessions a team is given.  It's not that I believe it, but rather a fact that game plans exist to limit the number of possessions an opponent gets.  You limit the possessions your opponent gets, you limit the possession your offense gets.

Edited by Pokebball

On 10/9/2019 at 6:23 PM, thebandit27 said:

I'll also say that, regardless of how he played in the first 3 quarters, Josh wins that NE game if he doesn't get hurt

Very possible, but that also goes back to how he played against the Titans. He wasn't trying to truck linebackers, he just slid and lived for another down. He has to learn to not always be the hero or the Pats game won't be the only time he leaves the field early. I liked the progress he showed in Tennessee. Now it's a matter of not reverting to old habits. 

22 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i'd say it's still quite early to make an accurate observation with regard to points scored per game. consider that two of our games were against the top rated and sixth rated defenses in points allowed. NE @ 6.8 PPG and Tennessee @15.2 PPG allowed. 

the kid has just played his 16th game at the pro level, he is progressing by all appearances. can we just calm down a bit and give him a chance to grow into his new shoes a bit here? it has been close to two decades since we have had even a whiff of what we are now experiencing. enjoy it.

It’s definitely still early and things can obviously improve. Our strength of schedule is still in our favor so Allen and the offense should be able to take advantage of these bad teams coming up.

And I am giving him a chance to grow. I like a lot of what he’s done. Being desperate for a franchise QB shouldn’t exclude anyone from talking about his weaknesses and how this offense can improve. If I’m going to hype him up as a franchise QB then that’s where the bar is being set. Simply being better than EJ or Tyrod isn’t good enough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It’s definitely still early and things can obviously improve. Our strength of schedule is still in our favor so Allen and the offense should be able to take advantage of these bad teams coming up.

And I am giving him a chance to grow. I like a lot of what he’s done. Being desperate for a franchise QB shouldn’t exclude anyone from talking about his weaknesses and how this offense can improve. If I’m going to hype him up as a franchise QB then that’s where the bar is being set. Simply being better than EJ or Tyrod isn’t good enough.

currently, we sit @ 10th in YPG. all things being equal, the points will come.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Of course every team wants to score on every possession, but that wasn't my point.  Many teams don't want to score as fast as they can.  They want to use clock, tire out the opposing defense and give their own defense time to rest.  Methodical drives down the field are important to winning, and of course winning is everyone's job.

Scoring as many points as you can is the point of the offense. I’m not so sure they care if it takes them 3 plays or 15. 

Working the clock has its place but I don’t agree that many teams would rather drag out drives. If you have a source for that I’d love to read about it.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

currently, we sit @ 10th in YPG. all things being equal, the points will come.

that’s what I’m hoping for

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Scoring as many points as you can is the point of the offense. I’m not so sure they care if it takes them 3 plays or 15. 

Working the clock has its place but I don’t agree that many teams would rather drag out drives. If you have a source for that I’d love to read about it.

When does working the clock have it's place?