Wanted: Chunk Plays

zow2

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

We had 6 plays of 20+ yards yesterday.   If I’m not mistaken, that was up there compared to the rest of the NFL.  Ours just didn’t result in TD’s

Correct and that's not far off of the approximate 100 big plays that the Bills had when they lead the NFL in that category in both 2015 and 2016.

They came in bunches late in the game when they got more aggressive (and when Moseley was out).

Early in the game they were settling for less and what the OP is saying happened.........they couldn't sustain.

Said it many times but the Bills themselves run a defense that tries to force short throws because they know that long drives are hard to sustain.

There needs to be a middle ground between what they were trying to do early in the game and later when they were down by two scores.

12 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I do not understand why so threads are so negative. We need chunk plays smh.

As many posters have already pointed out there were at least 6 chunk plays. We also saw Allen complete almost 65% of his passes. We also saw Allen do something that you usually only see the Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys doing, and that is come back and win a game that the other team should not have lost.

I am a firm believer that teams need to learn how to win. This team is learning how to win and starting to believe. People need to sit back and trust the process.

Are you kidding? Every post in this thread is pro-Bills and suggesting we had plenty of chunk plays and will have more.

The average poster at this board is extremely pro-Bills to the point of it being more of a religion than objective commentary about the team.

11 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

If the Bills invite me to practice, I'll be happy to bring my pitching wedge and display the proper chunk technique.

Get that galdanged loft wedge out of your bag and I bet your handicap drops to 25 within a month.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Correct and that's not far off of the approximate 100 big plays that the Bills had when they lead the NFL in that category in both 2015 and 2016.

Do you have 15 legal pads full of notes or do you just remember this stuff off the top of your head?

There's probably an effective medication for either disorder.

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Are you kidding? Every post in this thread is pro-Bills and suggesting we had plenty of chunk plays and will have more.

The average poster at this board is extremely pro-Bills to the point of it being more of a religion than objective commentary about the team.

To future Bills and Josh Allen dominance  I pray.... Amen,  goooooooooooooooooooooooooo billlllllllllllllllllllllllllls

12 hours ago, eball said:

Offense:  six "chunk" plays of 20+ yards and one TD

Defense:  zero "chunk" plays allowed

Is that how this game is played?  If not for the unfortunate turnovers in the first half (three of them were extremely unlucky) we're talking about a different ballgame.

And before anyone chimes in with "but you can't ignore the turnovers" I know that.  I can also read a box score that shows Buffalo outgained the Jets by almost 150 yards.

Why are you using facts?

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, zow2 said:

The Bills are capable... maybe not like the Chiefs, Eagles, Saints, Pats,...  but the Bills need more chunk plays on offense.

If a team typically needs 8-10+ plays to score points, it's inevitable that something bad will happen along the way.. i.e. penalty, sack, tipped pass, dropped pass,  failed 3rd down conversion, INT, fumble, etc..

Even if it's a Josh Allen 30 yard run, they need to come up with some big yardage plays.

If it's "inevitable" that something bad happens in an 8-10 play drive, the team has other problems they'd best work on

The top scoring teams last year (NE, Rams, NO, KC etc) average 6 plays per drive and score on 40-50% of their drives.  Since even the best scoring teams go 3 and out at times, that means a typical scoring drive is 8-10 plays or more.  Yeah, some teams loaded with electric performers (example: Chiefs last year) score in fewer plays, but most don't.

What the team needs to do is take what the D gives them.  If the D is crowding the box and daring them to throw deep, throw deep.  If the D is playing to take away the deep stuff, dink and dunk 'em.  And so forth.

15 minutes ago, Simon said:

Do you have 15 legal pads full of notes or do you just remember this stuff off the top of your head?

There's probably an effective medication for either disorder.

Just a big fan of big plays..........give those 2015 and 2016 teams this fundamentally sound(but no more talented) defense and they both easily win 10+ games.

12 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

They are coming. The Jets have a really good front seven, which kept us from being able to take shots down field, especially because we could not establish the run and loosen things up. That will not be the case every week.

Erm.  We didn't exactly try to establish the run in the first half.  Counting a couple Allen runs as designed pass plays where he scrambled, we called pass plays on 18 consecutive plays through the 1st Q.  It wasn't until 35 seconds left in the 1st that an RB's number was called and unless I'm missing something, only 2 more times in the entire 2nd quarter.

Gore gained 10 yds on 3 plays, which when the Bills were moving the ball and had something like 37 offensive snaps, doesn't exactly count as attempting to establish the run.

We finished the game with 25 rush plays to 37 pass attempts, but 10 of those rush plays were Allen and I don't think any of those were designed runs. 

Very odd game calling, but Hey, we got the W.

14 hours ago, zow2 said:

The Bills are capable... maybe not like the Chiefs, Eagles, Saints, Pats,...  but the Bills need more chunk plays on offense.

If a team typically needs 8-10+ plays to score points, it's inevitable that something bad will happen along the way.. i.e. penalty, sack, tipped pass, dropped pass,  failed 3rd down conversion, INT, fumble, etc..

Even if it's a Josh Allen 30 yard run, they need to come up with some big yardage plays.

You mean like the chunk play TD that won us the game?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Erm.  We didn't exactly try to establish the run in the first half.  Counting a couple Allen runs as designed pass plays where he scrambled, we called pass plays on 18 consecutive plays through the 1st Q.  It wasn't until 35 seconds left in the 1st that an RB's number was called and unless I'm missing something, only 2 more times in the entire 2nd quarter.

Gore gained 10 yds on 3 plays, which when the Bills were moving the ball and had something like 37 offensive snaps, doesn't exactly count as attempting to establish the run.

We finished the game with 25 rush plays to 37 pass attempts, but 10 of those rush plays were Allen and I don't think any of those were designed runs. 

Very odd game calling, but Hey, we got the W.

Allen had option to check to run but in each case he choose the pass option.  The Bills wanted to attack the secondary but Allen could have dialed up a run any time he saw an opportunity.

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They came in bunches late in the game when they got more aggressive (and when Moseley was out).

Early in the game they were settling for less and what the OP is saying happened.........they couldn't sustain.

Said it many times but the Bills themselves run a defense that tries to force short throws because they know that long drives are hard to sustain.

There needs to be a middle ground between what they were trying to do early in the game and later when they were down by two scores.

In the first half (with Mosley still in) we had 12 plays of 8+ yards and 3 plays of 25+ yards, despite lost opportunities from fluke turnovers and whatnot.

2 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

In the first half (with Mosley still in) we had 12 plays of 8+ yards and 3 plays of 25+ yards, despite lost opportunities from fluke turnovers and whatnot.

When you throw the ball 19 straight times you better be getting good yardage plays because you are exposing yourself to more risk...........fittingly the most significant play of the half was a short pass that was deflected into a pick six.

Those 2015 and 2016 teams lead the NFL in big plays and were also incredible at avoiding turnovers.    People think that you can't have big plays without turnovers but if you don't have a remarkably accurate, consistent passer and the right personnel then a short passing game can put you in position to make a lot of mistakes.