What games in Rich/RWS Stadium history did the fans storm the field?

LabattBlue

22 hours ago, Lurker said:

The game in the video was the final straw for the Bills letting fans go on the field.  They could take tearing down the goalposts but some "fans" took knives out & cut out parts of the turf (which was scheduled to be replaced in the offseason).  For the 1st playoff game 2 weeks later there were patches of new turf where they had to replace the stolen pieces of turf.  Whoever cut up the turf ruined it for all fans to ever get on the field again to celebrate.  

I've been to all 3 games above but only went on the field in 1980 and the only reason I even went on the field that day was the guy I went to the game with was a photo buff & he wanted to go on the field & take pictures of the mayhem.  

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The game in the video was the final straw for the Bills letting fans go on the field.  They could take tearing down the goalposts but some "fans" took knives out & cut out parts of the turf (which was scheduled to be replaced in the offseason).  For the 1st playoff game 2 weeks later there were patches of new turf where they had to replace the stolen pieces of turf.  Whoever cut up the turf ruined it for all fans to ever get on the field again to celebrate.  

I recall seeing fans cutting up turf after the 1980 Fish opener as well.  Saw one guy leave the field with a remnant large enough to cover my living room.  Later, I saw him in the parking lot on the ground crying...said six guys jumped him and took his turf and ran off.  :o

• Haha (+1) 1

I've been to all 3 games above but only went on the field in 1980 and the only reason I even went on the field that day was the guy I went to the game with was a photo buff & he wanted to go on the field & take pictures of the mayhem.  

Is that a rob johnson or drew bledsoe bobble head?  Either way inappropriate on that hallowed goal post.

37 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I recall seeing fans cutting up turf after the 1980 Fish opener as well.  Saw one guy leave the field with a remnant large enough to cover my living room.  Later, I saw him in the parking lot on the ground crying...said six guys jumped him and took his turf and ran off.  :o

I doubt you could get a knife in the stadium these days with the metal detectors.  

It feels like the threat of the fans storming the field or tearing down a goal post is gone now.  Like we just won't see that again.

Back during the Superbowl years, I remember the tactic of putting 4 mounted police officers on huge, powerful, draft horses, and the 4 horses would form a box around the goal post as the game drew to a close.  

So anyone who wanted to get to that center support pole to climb the goal post had to go through 4 horses that looked like this:

220px-Aa_shirehorse.jpg

Was there in '88. 15 years old. Storming the field was great, but my favorite memory of that day was pulling out of the parking lot and seeing a piece of the goalpost being carried through the mist and past our car. Was already a fan for life, but that day I knew I would always be a member of a tribe.

Of lovable idiots. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HarryLime said:

Was there in '88. 15 years old. Storming the field was great, but my favorite memory of that day was pulling out of the parking lot and seeing a piece of the goalpost being carried through the mist and past our car. Was already a fan for life, but that day I knew I would always be a member of a tribe.

Of lovable idiots. 

That's a good way to put it: member of a tribe.

You can't wave a magic wand and change what tribe you come from and by the same token, I could never change what team I root for.  That's just how I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Back during the Superbowl years, I remember the tactic of putting 4 mounted police officers on huge, powerful, draft horses, and the 4 horses would form a box around the goal post as the game drew to a close.  

So anyone who wanted to get to that center support pole to climb the goal post had to go through 4 horses

Did you see the clip from the 1988 Jets game?  Custer's 7th Cavalry couldn't have stopped the fans that day.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, SteveFreeman22 said:

1980 opening day after they stopped the Dolphins streak.

My first game ever. Nine years old. Been hooked ever since.

I had seasons in 88 and was at the Jets game also.

Awesome days!!!!!

I so hope we are on the cusp of a similar era?

At the AFC championship against KC we tried to storm the field but Mr. Wilson has half the Sheriffs Dept. there on horses! 

We were in the non tunnel EZ and the security guys were actually pushing people back up into the stands.

My buddy Jay leaned over and grabbed a Burke Security guards hat and took off up the aisle???. I think he still has it. 

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Did you see the clip from the 1988 Jets game?  Custer's 7th Cavalry couldn't have stopped the fans that day.

Well yeah, but it’s a little known fact that a large contingent of Little Big Horn descendants were comped end zone tickets for that game. so....

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Giving' em the Business said:

We should have stormed the field after we beat the Pats at home in 2011 after being down by two touchdowns.

I just wanted to let you know you have possibly the greatest username and avatar ever. 

I appreciate you.

On 9/5/2019 at 1:01 PM, Chandler#81 said:

What kind of punkazz, snot nosed whippersnapper thread is this?!? What? Rockpile doesn’t mean anything to you? You weren’t even a gleam in your Daddy’s eye? This is Age Discrimination in its ugliest form! Did the Bills NOT play 2 -TWO!! title games within the glorious confines of War Memorial Stadium? Did we who attended NOT rush the field with the thrill of CHAMPIONS!! 

Finally beating a Division foe who beat the hell out of us for 20 straight games? Pfffft! Yeah, THATs something to cheer about!..?

An OT FG for a Division title with 4 games left to play in the regular season? Oh Joy!! Rapture!! Pffffffffffft...

Overcoming an early deficit against the highly favored best team to win a WORLDS CHAMPIONSHIP before our very eyes?? Now THAT rates carrying our QB off on our shoulders into football immortality!

Punks!?

496CE2FB-DC26-4E1E-8E15-E0B828A7A9FE.jpeg

FEFB5772-BCA6-4871-A3D5-63E51F5F729E.jpeg

8EBEBD6D-0662-4483-A3BE-23F7E1784365.jpeg

A315D576-C2D4-4A5C-9569-13802554678C.jpeg

EB87C27B-A490-45A0-8D52-8E3F4FD91CEA.jpeg

B051DC24-EA6E-4855-9B3C-85646B9289D8.jpeg

C822CF02-B5D9-465D-AA92-764607E97B73.png

2EA03884-43FD-4396-A793-02903CDC7BC6.png

Settle down old man :D (From another old geezer) 

On 9/5/2019 at 2:33 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I was 9 years old at that Jets game in 1988 with my dad.

As the game ended and the fans stormed the field I asked him if we could go down and just "get close". He agreed, and I tore down the steps toward the sidelines.

I got down to the wall ahead of my dad, but it was a HUGE drop for a kid to make on his own. So my dad thought Id be stuck waiting there for him to catch up. NOPE!

A couple of friendly, helpful (and drunk) adults grabbed me and safely passed me over the wall and down onto the field, because obviously a small child should be passed down into that sea of madness.

My dad sure moved quick down the rest of those stairs and over the wall to catch up with me.

Great times! Great memories!

Your Dad would probably be arrested for child neglect these days.... :D 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, BarkLessWagMore said:

In 1988 against the Jets when we cliched the division. I believe we won in OT 6-3. Fred Smerlas blocked a FG attempt and then we won it. That is where the famous photo of the fans storming the field on the "Fandemonium" poster came from.

I was at this game. I was 7 years old and all I remember is seeing guys with the field goal posts over their shoulders trotting thru the parking lot. I remember asking my mom if we could go on the field and she wouldn’t let me and I was mad. Those were the days when us kids were only brought because they didn’t pay us down and we could sneak in the beer.??????

On 9/6/2019 at 8:38 AM, Ned Flanders said:

I was at the Rams game and don't recall fans on the field afterwards...some Bills came out of the locker room back to the field to dance with some Jills but that was about it.

I remember that but we wer last row and tossed the goalposts out of the stadium.  We were also drunk so maybe my recall isn’t perfect 

Bobby Womack was warming up for The Rolling Stones, I was making out with my girl friend, we were really stoned, lots of people on the field....

something like that, hard to remember actually...