Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bakin

7 Year Old's First Game - Preseason? WTF?

Recommended Posts

I debated this for a long time.  

Do I make my son's first trip to the Ralph a PRESEASON GAME? 

Or do I take him when the place is going to be electric?  Season Opener, Week 4 vs Pats?

 

My kid is 7, almost 8, and he doesn't REALLY care about the Bills or football like I do...

 

And since it's my first time as a season ticket holder, and these tickets are NOT selling, so I figured we would head down there and enjoy Kids day.

He should get some special treatment in an easy atmosphere. 

 

My older son's first game was when he was 6...(Season Opener, vs Dolphins, 2010) with a bunch of rednecks behind us dropping N-bombs all game.  
Not very fun....plus we sucked so bad.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've debated this myself. Have a 5  year old too. Gotta drive 5 hours to Buffalo as well. 

 

The true Bills experience is a regular season game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Home opener is week 3 against Cincinnati. 

oh, I know...

I decided to reserve this one possibly for my eldest son.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bakin said:

I debated this for a long time.  

Do I make my son's first trip to the Ralph a PRESEASON GAME? 

Or do I take him when the place is going to be electric?  Season Opener, Week 4 vs Pats?

 

My kid is 7, almost 8, and he doesn't REALLY care about the Bills or football like I do...

 

And since it's my first time as a season ticket holder, and these tickets are NOT selling, so I figured we would head down there and enjoy Kids day.

He should get some special treatment in an easy atmosphere. 

 

My older son's first game was when he was 6...(Season Opener, vs Dolphins, 2010) with a bunch of rednecks behind us dropping N-bombs all game.  
Not very fun....plus we sucked so bad.  

 

 

Has he done this type of thing before?  

 

Take him to a preseason game and see how well he "sits still".  I mean do you really want to leave at halftime of a game that counts?

 

 

If he does well the next step is a real game 

 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DJB said:

I've debated this myself. Have a 5  year old too. Gotta drive 5 hours to Buffalo as well. 

 

The true Bills experience is a regular season game. 

Yup...We are driving 5 hours tomorrow...

Will make a day of it - golf 9 holes at the halfway point...anchor bar...and then game time...

Should be good for the kid..

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kids game for a young one is the way to go . Before game activities and use to be  end with fire works. My kids had a great time years ago .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bakin said:

oh, I know...

I decided to reserve this one possibly for my eldest son.

 

 

My bad, I see what you meant to say now. I thought you were equating the opener with week 4. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what time should we show up to allow for enough time to go to the Field House, etc?
We aren't tail gating...

 

Any recommendations on where to park if we are in 109?  I know it's Gate 6 or 7, just not sure where that is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

 

Has he done this type of thing before?  

 

Take him to a preseason game and see how well he "sits still".  I mean do you really want to leave at halftime of a game that counts?

 

 

If he does well the next step is a real game 

 

 

I second this. I’d give it a test run. And a big game might be TOO much for the first time around.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Home opener is week 3 against Cincinnati. 

 

Yep.


I would want my son's first game to be one that we won.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a preseason game would be a good intro to the Bills game day experience for a 7 year old.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

 

Yep.


I would want my son's first game to be one that we won.

 

Haha yeah. That game looks really good for that purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

 

Yep.


I would want my son's first game to be one that we won.

 

true, but at 5  to 7   ... they won't care

 

unless you are a mean miserable SOB all the way home 

 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preseason is nice cause crowds are less intense and its a good toe dipper experience... IMO

 

Plus he is going to be more distracted with everything going on around him for his 1st experience.... where you are going to be dialed in hard at a regular season game. A preseason game gives you more focus time on your son. You can walk around check out the concessions souvenirs and the stadium from different areas and not need to stay in your seat to watch the entire game as intensely as you would a regular season match up

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a season ticket holding father  of 7 and soon to be 3 year old children - take them to a preseason game.  They're really only going to care about the pre-game activities, the field house and eating.  Once the game starts, their day is largely over.  Leave at halftime if they're ready, and don't give a second thought about it.  

 

 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest issue with the little guys is getting them somewhere they can see the field.  Most everyone stands in the lower sections when a good play is happening on offense, and if you're 4 feet tall you miss every good play.   It can be frustrating.

Get ready to lift him up quickly on the big plays, and just stand him on his seat when everyone else is standing.

Any game will be cool for him.  Kids preseason game being the ideal first choice

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

The biggest issue with the little guys is getting them somewhere they can see the field.  Most everyone stands in the lower sections when a good play is happening on offense, and if you're 4 feet tall you miss every good play.   It can be frustrating.

Get ready to lift him up quickly on the big plays, and just stand him on his seat when everyone else is standing.

Any game will be cool for him.  Kids preseason game being the ideal first choice

When I bought my seasons I had a shot at getting first row upper deck but I opted instead for lower bowl. 

Will see if it was a good choice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bakin said:

oh, I know...

I decided to reserve this one possibly for my eldest son.

 

The one you like more?

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bakin said:

I debated this for a long time.  

Do I make my son's first trip to the Ralph a PRESEASON GAME? 

Or do I take him when the place is going to be electric?  Season Opener, Week 4 vs Pats?

 

My kid is 7, almost 8, and he doesn't REALLY care about the Bills or football like I do...

 

And since it's my first time as a season ticket holder, and these tickets are NOT selling, so I figured we would head down there and enjoy Kids day.

He should get some special treatment in an easy atmosphere. 

 

My older son's first game was when he was 6...(Season Opener, vs Dolphins, 2010) with a bunch of rednecks behind us dropping N-bombs all game.  
Not very fun....plus we sucked so bad.  

 

 

Preseason.     It's fun, nobody cares about the game and he can run around without being trampled by drunks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bakin said:

a bunch of rednecks behind us dropping N-bombs all game. 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took my kid when she was 10 to a thursday night game against Miami. It wasn't the best idea. Fall-down drunks. "Hey dad, what's wrong with him?" Me: "He's sick, kiddo. Don't worry about it."

 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I took my kid when she was 10 to a thursday night game against Miami. It wasn't the best idea. Fall-down drunks. "Hey dad, what's wrong with him?" Me: "He's sick, kiddo. Don't worry about it."

 

I used it as an opportunity to show the kids restraint. We are not a drinking household. IE, we dont have to get drunk to have a good time. Not sure I understand paying all that money to be there and falling asleep in the stands. "Look kids, these people wasted their money more then us."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

The one you like more?

hahaha..hardly...they are both *****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With him being young & not being into football yet, preseason is ideal for when he inevitably wants to leave shortly after halftime. Who cares if you miss the 2nd half of preseason game 1, I'd do it. Hopefully he loves it & wants to go again for a regular season game, & stay for the whole thing.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...