Are you friends with your neighbors?

Another Fan

I have had a mix of all when it comes to neighbors. Growing up we had a few that we didn't have contact with because my dad had feuds with them. Some that we were close to and friends with. 

Since I have had my own places, my first house the neighbors were all good, I would say hi to them and occasionally talk to them but didn't spend time with them. On my current house it's mostly the same except a few neighbors have kids who are friends with mine, and the people in the apartment building next to me I may say hi to if they are out but that's about it.

Not really.  The neighbor to my left is an old, senile woman.  We invite her over for dinner once in a while, however, as she has very few visitors anymore.  The neighbor to my right is also an elderly couple.  We’re friendly with them, but not friends.  We just had a young couple (mid 20’s) move in across the street.  I went over when they were doing yard work and introduced myself, but they are very “peculiar” people.  Don’t seem like the type to enjoy a BBQ and a few beers.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

.  We just had a young couple (mid 20’s) move in across the street.  I went over when they were doing yard work and introduced myself, but they are very “peculiar” people.  Don’t seem like the type to enjoy a BBQ and a few beers.

Probably should have brought over a pan of lasagna..or a pie...

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Actually more of you guys are friendlier with your neighbors than I thought.  Not that that’s a bad thing.   I tended to think the modern world made it a little more difficult: social media, not really being home that often because of work other engagements, etc.....   

A kid of the 90s I always remember the TV shows if that area where people went through each other’s windows 

It’s NOTHING like it used to be! When we were newly married we lived on a street of 30-40 houses. Almost everybody was a first time homeowner, and we all started having kids about the same time. We’d babysit for each other, have oyster roasts in our carports or pig roasts in the back yard. Play hoops and throw darts while testing our beer capacity. We also hung together and did business with one another.  Bankers, lawyers, landscapers, tennis and golf pros....we always tried to use people on our street. Those were great times!

Now, maybe one or two big gatherings a year, and a few small get together for a couple glasses of wine or a meal. It’s not nearly as much as I’d like, but it’s a friendly group in general. An electrician friend came to give me some help and was shocked that  everybody waved. He said that NEVER happened in his neighborhood, so I guess it could be worse. 

...even after 33 years, I try to keep to myself...."Gladys Kravetz" lives across the street (retired as is her husband).....doesn't miss a thing..if I doze off watching the tube with front door open and outside lights off, she'll call at 10:30PM to ask me, "is everything all right?"......just bought another hot rod for my collection and she yelled over, "how can one person drive all of those cars?".....next door to her is a sweet lady slipping with dementia.....no longer remembers my name....lost her husband about eight years ago......won't move closer to her son because she doesn't like the daughter-in-law......fear for her safety.....and then we have "Borrow Boy" who continually looks to borrow other people's stuff.....different lawn tractor every week.....borrowed my roto tiller and destroyed it, leaving at the far end of the house with no mention.......cost me $850 to buy a new one and never got an apology or offer to repair.....eff him......guy next door had wife #4 leave him after 12 years....helped raised her two boys through their early years as well as late teens.....totally abandoned the boys, refusing to show at their weddings or acknowledge the birth of their children......not sure if I live in a neighborhood or asylum community......time to GTFO..........

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...even after 33 years, I try to keep to myself...."Gladys Kravetz" lives across the street (retired as is her husband).....doesn't miss a thing..if I doze off watching the tube with front door open and outside lights off, she'll call at 10:30PM to ask me, "is everything all right?"......just bought another hot rod for my collection and she yelled over, "how can one person drive all of those cars?".....next door to her is a sweet lady slipping with dementia.....no longer remembers my name....lost her husband about eight years ago......won't move closer to her son because she doesn't like the daughter-in-law......fear for her safety.....and then we have "Borrow Boy" who continually looks to borrow other people's stuff.....different lawn tractor every week.....borrowed my roto tiller and destroyed it, leaving at the far end of the house with no mention.......cost me $850 to buy a new one and never got an apology or offer to repair.....eff him......guy next door had wife #4 leave him after 12 years....helped raised her two boys through their early years as well as late teens.....totally abandoned the boys, refusing to show at their weddings or acknowledge the birth of their children......not sure if I live in a neighborhood or asylum community......time to GTFO..........

I heard the 55 and over places are worse.

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

We had friends in Florida who moved to LA to get closer to their grandson, then moved to Vegas to get farther from their daughter-in-law. Oops! 

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Probably should have brought over a pan of lasagna..or a pie...

I don't know if that would do it and I have a great amount of doubt about it.  A lot of people just don't believe in a sense of community anymore and have an entire belief system built around it.  These neighbors were probably raised in a situation where their families did not interact with the neighbors.  Mom and dad were too busy with their careers and considered people who did not think the same way as losers.  A neighbor I had many years back inherited a bunch of money while fairly young so he and his wife had no use for the "poor" neighbors.  People can be too competitive for their own good at times.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I heard the 55 and over places are worse.

...I'd move to the morgue first.......want no part of the "Polident Gang".......I'm 66 and still work every day....asked my direct report, our company President, when he plans to kick me to the curb......he said, "never...you're here as long as you want to be".......WELL compensated as CFO, all operational decisions are mine and despite my best efforts to clear major company financial decisions through him, my actual threshold is >$1 mil before discussion...could I ask for better?.........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'd move to the morgue first.......want no part of the "Polident Gang".......I'm 66 and still work every day....asked my direct report, our company President, when he plans to kick me to the curb......he said, "never...you're here as long as you want to be".......WELL compensated as CFO, all operational decisions are mine and despite my best efforts to clear major company financial decisions through him, my actual threshold is >$1 mil before discussion...could I ask for better?.........

Be honest, you’re staying for the Bills suite. We see through all this!   ?

My son works for a large CPA firm in a small group that outsources CFO’s to small and medium size companies during times of transition. He wants your gig when you finally get tired of it! 

• Haha (+1) 1

My new neighbors? No way. They gossip and talk behind everyone's back. Every time that I see them the questions start. Maybe I should tell them That I am on the relocation program.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

My new neighbors? No way. They gossip and talk behind everyone's back. Every time that I see them the questions start. Maybe I should tell them That I am on the relocation program.

I truly with every fabric of my being can’t stand people like that 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, sherpa said:

I have a larger piece of land, so there's some distance to my "neighbors," but you never know what can happen.

Yesterday morning about 7:40, my wife and I were watching the news and the doorbell rings.

I open the door and this guy asks me if they can land their balloon on my property.

Did they offer you a bottle of wine or champagne? I know a guy that works on a balloon crew, and that's what they offer the landowner when they get permission to land.