The PERFECT Steak

26 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

for the most part true...but if you have the time reheating steak in  a 225 oven for 30 minutes on a wire rack on a bking sheet, then a quick re-sear in a skillet 30 seconds each side...pretty damn close to what it was the night before. Take stime no doubt.

BTW, i totally screwed up in this thread...the perfect steak  is duck breast. End of thread

What surprises me is how very few chose filet as best steak (other than the fella that cooked a whole tenderloin on the grill - which I will try sometime). 

EDIT: By the way, start your own damn duck thread. 

Or tell tell me how to make it here. LOL. Sounds great. 

Edited by BringBackFergy

19 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

What surprises me is how very few chose filet as best steak (other than the fella that cooked a whole tenderloin on the grill - which I will try sometime). 

Lots o ways to do duck breast. The basics are as follow

1) score the poop out of the fat cap 

2) season heavily with salt and pepper

3) medium heat on a skillet/grill,  fat cap down, slowly render the fat  cover with a metal bowl or something similar to trap heat and cook more evenely

4 ) continually pour the fat into a vessel that can be stored , duck fat more valuable than gold in my house. 

5) once most the fat has been rendered, flip the duck and recover

6) cook to 125, let rest 10 minutes. 

We have always loved duck breast in our house so. So much so that several servers at restuatanys questioned my 8 -13 year old daughter order of duck, medium rare!  

Tonight i I did a recipe by Jamie Oiliver, awesome, simple and delicious. 

Just two two of us tonight , and this is not a meal to get “ stuffed” but in a hot summer night just perfect

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/duck-recipes/duck-orange-salad/

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

For me, there is filet....and then a big drop to all the others. For doing the whole tenderloin (and other “fitting” reasons), I get the 50 foot roll of sous vide wrap. It’s the perfect way to get perfect steak. I finish with a sear on a flat grill pan on a smoking hot grill to save the house from smoke. 

I had a buddy visit and we went to the store to buy steak. I went tenderloin and he said “no, I prefer ribeye”. I reminded him he wasn’t cooking, and did not get a vote. He told me the next day he woke up in the middle of the night dreaming of his steak, wondering if any was left. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Filet is too low in fat. Ribeye is the Lord and master of all steaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate the thread. My golf group is coming over for a post-game swim and steak. Going to do the reverse seat on aged ribeyes. One quirk, I have an electric smoker I will use for stage one @225, without the smoke of course...

On 7/21/2019 at 3:47 PM, Doc Brown said:

My issue with steak is it's nearly impossible to reheat it without losing some or most of its flavor.  The best you can do is eat it cold.

If it was originally on the rare side, I’ll slice it thin and cook it for 30 seconds in a hot pan and make a cheesesteak.

• 1 month later...

Did a sous vide ribeye last night.  Slight tweak to my usual method which bore great results.  

Rather than cook at 125-128 F and guess about how much internal temp rise to expect during searing I went up to my target final temp of 133 and went twice as long as normal for a cook time of 3 hours.  After 3 hours in the bath I shocked the steak in ice water for about 10 minutes while heating up my pan.  Then dried the meat, lightly re-seasoned with salt, and tossed in the pan with a little grapeseed oil and butter.  i flipped every 30 seconds or so, basting with butter/oil mixture for a total of 4 minutes.

The ice bath sufficiently stops the cooking process and cools the meat such that you buy more time for searing to achieve that perfect steakhouse crust.  My final internal temp was actually 130!  Edge to edge goodness and a perfect crust.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

On 7/16/2019 at 11:28 AM, BringBackFergy said:

Wondering how you fellas prepare steak, what type, heat source and, ultimately, how you eat that mutha.

Let's assume you have everything at your disposal: type of beef, cooking utensils, pans, herbs/seasonings, knives, grills/ovens, etc.

How do you do it?

Fergy's Perfect Steak:

* A 20 ounce prime ribeye with good marbling and thick cut at 2+ inches. Let steak get to room temp and coat with light olive oil.

* Kosher salt and black pepper (peppercorns crushed with a mallet inside a bag. Cover steak with plenty of crushed peppercorns)

* A cast iron skillet real. Olive oil in skillet and bring to medium high temp.  Have two sprigs of thyme and rosemary and two cloves crushed garlic handy as well as 2 tbsp of butter.

* Lay ribeye in skillet and sear first side for two minutes, flip and put thyme and rosemary and butter in skillet. As searing the second side, baste with the butter and herbs.

* Let sear for three minutes, flip and sear another minute to get buttery herb mix on both sides..

* Take off heat and put in oven at 300 for about 10-15 minutes to cook through to medium rare.

* Take out of oven, remove steak from skillet and place on cutting board with loose "tin fole". Pour any remaining juices over top of steak before covering.

* Let that mutha rest for 15 mins.

* Remove "tin fole" and get a sharp ass knife.  Cut ribeye in diagonal direction across grain with 1" slices (I may get some argument here, but sliced steak is really solid and tender rather than trying to cut your way through an entire whole steak).

* My wife loves it this way. It's a panty dropper.

I'll hear some argument about charcoal grilling a steak or Sue Vidae (which are all great), but screw it. This is my perfect steak. Make your own!!

I do similar process but reverse seared with a Himalayan Salt Block

1. Let filet/strip/ribeye rest to room temperature
  2. Lightly coat with olive oil
  3. Pepper steak heavily
  4. Place Hemilayan Salt Slab in oven and set to 250 degrees 
  5. Place steak on salt slab with rosemary sprig and garlic clove on top and cook until internal temperature has reached 115 degrees (flip steak at 90 degrees)
  6. While waiting for steak to finish, Set grill on high with cast iron pan 
  7. Remove steak from oven and cover immediately with tin foil and let sit for 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness) 
  8. Place steak on cast iron pan with rosemary and garlic on top and close grill lid, sear for 1 minute
  9. Flip steak and place 1Tblsp of butter cube directly on top of steak, close grill lid and sear for 1 minute
  10. Rotate and sear all sides of steak
  11. Serve and enjoy

Just like my ribs at the tailgate years ago, I’ll gladly put my steak up against anyone and be confident saying I will prevail. 

50 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Did a sous vide ribeye last night.  Slight tweak to my usual method which bore great results.  

Rather than cook at 125-128 F and guess about how much internal temp rise to expect during searing I went up to my target final temp of 133 and went twice as long as normal for a cook time of 3 hours.  After 3 hours in the bath I shocked the steak in ice water for about 10 minutes while heating up my pan.  Then dried the meat, lightly re-seasoned with salt, and tossed in the pan with a little grapeseed oil and butter.  i flipped every 30 seconds or so, basting with butter/oil mixture for a total of 4 minutes.

The ice bath sufficiently stops the cooking process and cools the meat such that you buy more time for searing to achieve that perfect steakhouse crust.  My final internal temp was actually 130!  Edge to edge goodness and a perfect crust.  

I feel like I should add in an ice bath after my oven step before the searing begins. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, mrags said:

Just like my ribs at the tailgate years ago, I’ll gladly put my steak up against anyone and be confident saying I will prevail.

I would gladly be the judge of any steak contest.  You know who wins?  Me.

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, mrags said:

I do similar process but reverse seared with a Himalayan Salt Block

1. Let filet/strip/ribeye rest to room temperature
  2. Lightly coat with olive oil
  3. Pepper steak heavily
  4. Place Hemilayan Salt Slab in oven and set to 250 degrees 
  5. Place steak on salt slab with rosemary sprig and garlic clove on top and cook until internal temperature has reached 115 degrees (flip steak at 90 degrees)
  6. While waiting for steak to finish, Set grill on high with cast iron pan 
  7. Remove steak from oven and cover immediately with tin foil and let sit for 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness) 
  8. Place steak on cast iron pan with rosemary and garlic on top and close grill lid, sear for 1 minute
  9. Flip steak and place 1Tblsp of butter cube directly on top of steak, close grill lid and sear for 1 minute
  10. Rotate and sear all sides of steak
  11. Serve and enjoy

I feel like I should add in an ice bath after my oven step before the searing begins. 

Yeah, the ice bath trick is a good idea to stop the internal cooking if you reverse sear like Jauronimo.  Wouldn't really work for me because I sear first...the proper method. LOL

Worth the watch.  Much of this is common knowledge to participants in this thread.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/09/food-lab-video-episode-2-steak-lies.html

37 minutes ago, mrags said:

I should clarify that I kept the steak in the sous vide bag during the ice bath.  Getting that perfect crust is all about starting with a dry surface.  As the video I posted above details, the crust won't form until ALL surface moisture is gone and it takes a ton of heat energy to evaporate surface moisture.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Worth the watch.  Much of this is common knowledge to participants in this thread.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/09/food-lab-video-episode-2-steak-lies.html

I should clarify that I kept the steak in the sous vide bag during the ice bath.  Getting that perfect crust is all about starting with a dry surface.  As the video I posted above details, the crust won't form until ALL surface moisture is gone and it takes a ton of heat energy to evaporate surface moisture.

@mrags gets a nice crust by adding Ritz cracker crumbs to the top of his steak before microwaving it. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2