How's the pollen where you live this year?

Finished in Richmond for the most part. Started early March, ended about a two weeks ago. A rough year here as well.. I did not have allergies till I moved here, and get worse every year. I do not get runny eyes and stuffed nose etc, but my ear canals plug and makes me dizzy and nauseous. Freaking worst.

90 miles away in DC..I am fine!

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It's been horrible. I dont mind it so much, but my son has been snotting all over the place. He sounds terrible and has been rubbing his eyes red for the past several weeks. 

I have allergies, and normally I'm good with a Zyrtec every day. But I've had to use a nebulizer three times so far this season, which is unheard of for me.

Never saw the yellow pollen blankets in Pa growing up, like what appears down here in the South annually and covers everything daily in the Spring no matter how often you clean it off. Not coincidentally, experienced allergies for the first time after moving here, just one of those things to get used to. I think there’s something to the notion of eating local honey though, to help acclimatize your system—local farmers’ markets are a great source for that, fwiw. 

I usually have tree, grass and ragweed problems.

This February  i broke my ankle so the pain and hassles from that kind of made me forget the tree pollen stuff.  Many people in Toronto who don't suffer from tree pollen were complaining a lot.

Now on to grass season, then ragweed season

I used to take the 12 shots for tree and grass but found that didn't prove to be worth it, the 4 shots for ragweed I'm 50/50 on whether it is effective and worth it for me.

Grew up in S Buffalo in the 50's.  We didn't have pollen; we had ore dust from the steel mills.

My Dad had business in Detroit late 50's, and Mom & I drove with him.  We drove across S Ontario.  At that time, S Ontario had a lot of tobacco fields.  Summer travel, no A/C in cars back then, by the time we got to Detroit I thought I would go crazy with watering/itchy eyes.  Found out I'm allergic to tobacco.  Got some eye drops, went to the Doc back in Buffalo, and he told my Mom that I would outgrow the allergies.  Now 60 years later I get shots every couple of weeks.  They don't take the problems away but that's about all I can do.

Living in the Richmond VA area, the allergy Docs tell us that we're in the worst part of the country for allergies.  I think that's BS because I've lived in N VA., Chicago, Houston and Seattle  and still had the symptoms.  When I moved to Seattle, they magically went away, for about one year, but then came back, same as before.  A real pain in the a*s! 

22 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Grew up in S Buffalo in the 50's.  We didn't have pollen; we had ore dust from the steel mills.

My Dad had business in Detroit late 50's, and Mom & I drove with him.  We drove across S Ontario.  At that time, S Ontario had a lot of tobacco fields.  Summer travel, no A/C in cars back then, by the time we got to Detroit I thought I would go crazy with watering/itchy eyes.  Found out I'm allergic to tobacco.  Got some eye drops, went to the Doc back in Buffalo, and he told my Mom that I would outgrow the allergies.  Now 60 years later I get shots every couple of weeks.  They don't take the problems away but that's about all I can do.

Living in the Richmond VA area, the allergy Docs tell us that we're in the worst part of the country for allergies.  I think that's BS because I've lived in N VA., Chicago, Houston and Seattle  and still had the symptoms.  When I moved to Seattle, they magically went away, for about one year, but then came back, same as before.  A real pain in the a*s! 

all vegetation has various strains and "breeds" that can affect you differently

Toronto grass is fine by me usually, driving to London, Ontario leads to sudden near-seizures and asthmatic attacks.

Glad we got past that a while ago! The wife has never had allergy problems until the last couple years. Everything gets covered! I like to open the house up on nice spring days (too hot for that now), but it comes in through the screens and covers everything inside! Nasty! 

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

all vegetation has various strains and "breeds" that can affect you differently

Toronto grass is fine by me usually, driving to London, Ontario leads to sudden near-seizures and asthmatic attacks.

Asthma has been a recent diagnosis, just in the past couple of years.  That what keeps me getting the allergy shots.  The Asthma requires medication, and they write the prescription, so I'm stuck.   Grass is a problem for me also animal dander,  We have a dog & 2 cats but they're worth it.

31 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Asthma has been a recent diagnosis, just in the past couple of years.  That what keeps me getting the allergy shots.  The Asthma requires medication, and they write the prescription, so I'm stuck.   Grass is a problem for me also animal dander,  We have a dog & 2 cats but they're worth it.

keep the pets unless it is seriously life-limiting, i have met a few who are in deep trouble if any dander gets on them, that's sad

12 weeks of the shots was a tremendous time drain, especially when they demand i sit there for 20 minutes to see if a reaction occurs (there wasn't one for 24 years)

i try to avoid histamine-rich foods during peak pollen days, and have had to give up golf (not a big deal for either)

my tests were always negative for dust and animals, with over-the-top reactions for most plant life.... when i said i had a cat they went at me three times giving negative cat results, maybe they wanted me to get rid of her (not happening)

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

keep the pets unless it is seriously life-limiting, i have met a few who are in deep trouble if any dander gets on them, that's sad

12 weeks of the shots was a tremendous time drain, especially when they demand i sit there for 20 minutes to see if a reaction occurs (there wasn't one for 24 years)

i try to avoid histamine-rich foods during peak pollen days, and have had to give up golf (not a big deal for either)

my tests were always negative for dust and animals, with over-the-top reactions for most plant life.... when i said i had a cat they went at me three times giving negative cat results, maybe they wanted me to get rid of her (not happening)

Totally agree with the "not happening," with regard to the pets.  I've always had a dog, since I was a kid.  Never had a cat till we got married, but they're OK too, in their own twisted way

21 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Totally agree with the "not happening," with regard to the pets.  I've always had a dog, since I was a kid.  Never had a cat till we got married, but they're OK too, in their own twisted way

a cat's feedback on the bachelor's apartment conditions is vital

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

In South Jersey, it's been AWFUL. What usually is a couple of weeks has been more like a couple months this season. Can't wait till July/August.

I've had to use my windshield wipers to get it off of the windshield lately.  Some days, it's actually hazy due to all of the pollen in the air.