Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

For those still paying attention, Ottawa beats Sharks in OT. Awesome result for the Sabres. Sabres have a great shot to be bottom 3 still! 

bonus is they will pay a cap penalty next year! That is GMing 4d chess style, and was all in the plan y’all! 

It is like the Baltimore Orioles paying a luxury tax.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Eichel will ask to be traded. I wouldn’t blame him. 

Dan disco is laughing 

You think Eichel is having remourse for helping push Dan out?

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/league

New Jersey just passed the Sabres in he standings. Buffalo is now 6th last.

Anaheim is 2 points behind.

San Jose is 3 points behind and have won 3 of 4.

Ottawa 4 points behind and picking up points regularly. 

LA is 6 points behind and have won 5 straight.

And Buffalo has a tough schedule coming up. 3 games against WSH. 2 more against PHI. 2 against CAR. 1 against Boston.

Plus, these teams behind buffalo in the standings just don’t have the tanking experience buffalo does. They’re all rookies compared to the Sabres. Nobody finishes off a tank job like the Sabres do... ?

A bottom 2-3 finish seems like a realistic possibility. I still can’t bring myself to root for losses. I want them to win. But the top of this draft does look pretty good. 

Ugh. So depressing to be looking toward the draft once again. Every season I think they are done tanking, and ever6 season I am wrong. 

19 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2019/league

New Jersey just passed the Sabres in he standings. Buffalo is now 6th last.

Anaheim is 2 points behind.

San Jose is 3 points behind and have won 3 of 4.

Ottawa 4 points behind and picking up points regularly. 

LA is 6 points behind and have won 5 straight.

And Buffalo has a tough schedule coming up. 3 games against WSH. 2 more against PHI. 2 against CAR. 1 against Boston.

Plus, these teams behind buffalo in the standings just don’t have the tanking experience buffalo does. They’re all rookies compared to the Sabres. Nobody finishes off a tank job like the Sabres do... ?

A bottom 2-3 finish seems like a realistic possibility. I still can’t bring myself to root for losses. I want them to win. But the top of this draft does look pretty good. 

Ugh. So depressing to be looking toward the draft once again. Every season I think they are done tanking, and ever6 season I am wrong. 

So they were just passed by the team that traded them Simmonds, the veteran who was going to provide them the veteran presence to help get them into meaningful games in March and make the playoffs.....

Edited by apuszczalowski

On 3/8/2020 at 8:09 AM, May Day 10 said:

Botterill is going over to niagara awards in the falls to get little trophies made to give them for the effort

If the team doesn’t start to win, Botterill will soon be going over Niagara Falls, put there by the fans.

Every part of it is amazing to me.  

The fact that they are very likely to again finish behind either of the Tim Murray/Bylsma seasons, after 3 years of this 3D chess 'cap wizard'.

Ottawa, the team who was a laughing stock with all sorts of toxic player issues, and giving up a lottery pick for nothing (people would excuse the Sabres of poor performance for 10 years if they did this), is now only 4 points behind the Sabres and actually look better.  Ottawa has 3 first rounders, very possibly all lottery picks.... and 2 of them are likely to be top-5.  They have 4 second rounders, 2 thirds, fourth, fifth, and sixth.  In 2021, they have a first, 3 seconds, and a 4th through 7th.

Sabres?  1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 2 7ths.

2021, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th

Indisputably, Ottawa has a better pool of prospects than Buffalo.  They have been rebuilding for 1 year.  

Great asset management "Botts".  

Detroit will be next to pick themselves up in record time, while here, we argue whether a rebuild needs to take 5 or 10 years.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

So they were just passed by the team that traded them Simmonds, the veteran who was going to provide them the veteran presence to help get them into meaningful games in March and make the playoffs.....

New Jersey also sold off their best player (Taylor Hall) and another one of their best forwards this season (Blake Coleman). 

But as I said, they just don’t have the tanking experience Buffalo does. They’re rookies at it. The Sabres on the other hand are like the New England Patriots of tanking. They are grizzled veterans. They know what it takes to close out a tank down the stretch... ?

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Detroit will be next to pick themselves up in record time, while here, we argue whether a rebuild needs to take 5 or 10 years.

We could always go for the ‘Atlanta Option’.  Let 2 franchises leave, hope for a third to be awarded to get it right.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

The fact that they are very likely to again finish behind either of the Tim Murray/Bylsma seasons, after 3 years of this 3D chess 'cap wizard'.

Ottawa, the team who was a laughing stock with all sorts of toxic player issues, and giving up a lottery pick for nothing (people would excuse the Sabres of poor performance for 10 years if they did this), is now only 4 points behind the Sabres and actually look better.  Ottawa has 3 first rounders, very possibly all lottery picks.... and 2 of them are likely to be top-5.  They have 4 second rounders, 2 thirds, fourth, fifth, and sixth.  In 2021, they have a first, 3 seconds, and a 4th through 7th.

Indisputably, Ottawa has a better pool of prospects than Buffalo.  They have been rebuilding for 1 year.  

Exacatickly

5 hours ago, bbb said:

So, what are the draft lottery rules this year?  

This site is great for the draft lottery. It tells you the odds for each team/draft position.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

The odds are:

last place team 18.5%, 2nd last 13.5%, then 11.5%, 9.5%, 8.5%, 7.5% (Sabres current odds), 6.5, 6, 5, 3.5, 3, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Ten! Anyone who says otherwise simply has no clue about the cap and trajectories and talent!

The first star in this game belongs to Ullmark. Beyond his stops what made his performance outstanding is that he gave up few juicy rebounds. Ullmark was exceptional in the shootout. In this game he played as if he is a #1 goalie. Is he a #1 goalie? I'm not sure---that still needs to be determined. What is clearly evident is that for the remaining part of the season he is our primary goaltender and Hutton is the backup. 

I thought that our defensive corps played well in this game. 

The Kahun pickup is a good pickup. 

I thought the goalie interference call on Skinner although technically correct was a marginal and bad judgment call. 

• Like (+1) 2