John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Sammy had 114 yards on 8 targets in the championship game.... It's just a matter of staying healthy with him. 

There is no perhaps. He'd be the best WR on this roster by a mile.

I said Sammy is better. 

But I’ll stick to the perhaps he would have helped. Because it’s a HUGE leap.

How can you say there’s no “perhaps” when you do nothing but denigrate the players we had on offense last year? Ok, let’s do that:

Perhaps Sammy would have turned Peterman into a good NFL QB. Especially with all those similarly talented alternate targets we had like in KC.

Perhaps Sammy would have made our OLine one of the best in the league. 

And the biggest perhaps? PERHAPS Sammy would have stayed healthy all year and not be the CURRENT injury liability he is now. 

Your arguments, when they aren’t moving goalposts, are utterly nonsensical at times. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/31/2019 at 1:16 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Serious question.....are you going to provide us with some pertinent comments or are you here to critique a poster who has been here for decades, and may have forgotten more than you will ever know about football. I suggest that you read his posts, evaluate them, and perhaps learn something, or at the very least, consider a point of view that doesn't necessarily coincide with yours.

If you want to read nothing but rah-rah type posts, you might consider signing onto some of these "grade school" sites about which you speak instead of coming here with the sole intent of insulting our members.

Officer Bill, ever the dutiful toady chiming in.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have. But that is a risk for every player in the NFL who suits up every single Sunday (or Monday or Thursday). It is no more a risk for those two than it is Josh Allen (fate forbid) or Tom Brady. 

Who said it was? Yet you're ready to anoint two very young players very early in their careers, I am not.

21 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Just as an FYI--it would have been Mahomes.

THANKS ALOT!

On 6/13/2019 at 10:19 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The big concern should be him continuing to be a modern day Josh Reed............

Eerily similar. My only hope with Zay is that something clicks psychologically in 19 because a WR with his physical limitations has got to be a killer. He's been the opposite thus far in his NFL career.

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

THANKS ALOT!

Eerily similar. My only hope with Zay is that something clicks psychologically in 19 because a WR with his physical limitations has got to be a killer. He's been the opposite thus far in his NFL career.

he has 4.5 speed.
Hope he can show some confident burt out of his breaks.

so what happened since his college  career ? seemed like a steady Robert Wood type of guy coming up/ i miss crazy Bob for real

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

OMG wow, okay one last time here. I am saying, you can not say that the WR core is the bottom of the league right now and the season hasn't started yet. Pretty simple. And AGAIN, yes predicting is fine, no problem. But when a prediction is stated as a fact based upon a football season that hasn't begun yet is silly.

This isn't hard to understand. The point is simple, we DO NOT know if they will be the bottom of the league until the season gets almost over with.

One last time to you too since you also don't seem to get it. First off I wasn't even the one who stated they are at the bottom right now.  My response was to you who is arguing because they haven't played the season yet, it's wrong.   Was it really stated as a fact or an opinion.  If you look at prior years stats and they put the new players towards the bottom, and last years players were also near the bottom, it's not a reach to state that they likely are going to be at the bottom again. And if it's stated in a factual manor, hard to argue against it.

Since you ignored my comment the last time I'll ask again, if past performance can't be used to judge expected future performance, why do they hold a draft every year.  Based on your logic, they should just pick names out of a hat!  Why does everyone in the world except you use past performance to draw conclusions? Why is the whole world wrong??

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

he has 4.5 speed.
Hope he can show some confident burt out of his breaks.

so what happened since his college  career ? seemed like a steady Robert Wood type of guy coming up/ i miss crazy Bob for real

My personal observation has been that he was having fun in college playing against AAC corners. He appears to be intimidated by the competition in the NFL, which is why I alluded to the psychological aspect. And I think he ran a 4.45, but just as some guys play faster than their 40, some play slower. He falls into the latter category. I've never once seen him get separation on a go route. Not once. He's gonna have to really fight for the football if he wants to truly be effective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

My personal observation has been that he was having fun in college playing against AAC corners. He appears to be intimidated by the competition in the NFL, which is why I alluded to the psychological aspect. And I think he ran a 4.45, but just as some guys play faster than their 40, some play slower. He falls into the latter category. I've never once seen him get separation on a go route. Not once. He's gonna have to really fight for the football if he wants to truly be effective.

I was hoping you would elaborate your fine opinion.

I do agree on all counts.
and hoped someone would catch he ran under 4.5 actually. thanks.
like i said he has little to no burst out of cuts ( likely confidence in his game, again)
and his hands and feet were not in sync

these things can be corrected

all hail the new WR Coach 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chemical said:

Haha why aren’t you mad at the star contract then?

Because he was paid half of what Dareus made, 5 years later...

Star clogs holes, that’s his job.  Dareus at a shade below $100 million is supposed to be a wrecking ball.  Did you think they made the same money or something?

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Star Lotulelei had by far his worst season in the NFL last year.

At this stage of his career.....and still at the beginning of his Bills contract......he couldn't get 8 sacks in 4 seasons if the NCAA re-instated his eligibility.

Dareus also had his worst year as a pro but significantly outproduced Lotulelei........and Dareus played at about the same level as 2017 Star Lotulelei......a level that got Star $26M+ guaranteed from the Bills.

McBeane's Lotulelei contract is one of the worst in Bills history.

I just don’t think Star played as bad as you think he did.  We’ve seen very quickly that McBeane have shown zero problems replacing under performing areas this offseason.

Yet we didn’t sign or draft anyone to replace Star and he will start week 1....

Edited by Royale with Cheese

On 6/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, Thurman#1 said:

If the Bills hover around 6 - 8 wins for the next two seasons ... that simply isn't enough evidence, you need to know more.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? It would be plenty of evidence. What Pegs thinks is an entirely different story. McDermott starts his career 9-7, 6-10, 8-8, and 7-9 WITH the franchise QB in place and that wouldn't sway you? You are a very patient man my friend.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One last time to you too since you also don't seem to get it. First off I wasn't even the one who stated they are at the bottom right now.  My response was to you who is arguing because they haven't played the season yet, it's wrong.   Was it really stated as a fact or an opinion.  If you look at prior years stats and they put the new players towards the bottom, and last years players were also near the bottom, it's not a reach to state that they likely are going to be at the bottom again. And if it's stated in a factual manor, hard to argue against it.

Since you ignored my comment the last time I'll ask again, if past performance can't be used to judge expected future performance, why do they hold a draft every year.  Based on your logic, they should just pick names out of a hat!  Why does everyone in the world except you use past performance to draw conclusions? Why is the whole world wrong??

First off, I never said that "you" said it, you quoted me about the subject so I explained. Secondly, the poster that I was originally referring  to once again ,stated it as a fact. 

To answer your IMO awkward question, a draft is held for teams to get better and younger players,  depending on needs and how much cap room they have (amazed I am explaining this). The other part about passed performances is players change, they get better and they get worse (thought that was quite obvious also)

Don't know how you manage to get picking names out of a hat with my previous post, I'm baffled by that one. Anyways, I don't know where your trying to go with this because my previous post was about the poster who stated the WR core was already bottom of the league when the season hasn't started. I made that perfectly clear, all this other stuff you're talking about, I have no idea how you got that out of my post.

Anyways, feel like I'm just repeating myself and talking to air. So I'm going to move and and just let you spin your tires here. Have a good 1.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

5 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

How bout lets not and stick to the facts of which the post I originally quoted was, you can't say a WR core, especially with some new additions are THE BOTTOM of the league in a season which hasn't started yet.

All that jibberish you posted (in regards to quoting me) is just that, jibberish. In no way, shape, or form was I comparing them to those players you listed, so you just posted a bunch of nonsense in that fact. I'm simply stating they can't be the worst in the league in a season that has not started. In all likely hood they will be better than last year, by how much, we don't know.

The nonsense was you attacking another poster for daring to rate the Bills current WR corps as being of significantly lesser stature than most other teams' WR groups before the season starts.  NOBODY knows how anything in the upcoming season is going to turn out but EVERYBODY makes predictions, you included, and it's all based on taking what teams/coaches/players have done in the past and guessing what they'll do in the future.  I'm sure that if the poster had claimed that the Bills had a top ten WR corps now that they added Beasley and Brown, you wouldn't complain that "they can't be [one of the best] in the league in a season that has not started."  

The Bills WRs were so poor last year that they could improve significantly and still be in the bottom third of the league.  Beasley and Brown could both have career years and the WR corps as a whole could still be a bottom feeder unit if Jones and Foster don't play well.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The fault about their OL was due to the fact that the 2016 Bills didn't have a great OL except for Incognito and Wood.

I forget, didn't something happen to those two. They also had Glenn but needed to trade him for cap relief and to get in a much better place to allow them to draft Josh Allen. Pretty much the same for the WRs. One quite good player in Woods who they couldn't sign for cap reasons and one up and down one in Watkins who they again traded for cap relief and draft capital to bring in Allen.

For about the 18th time - no matter how little you want to hear it - they had terrible cap problems that Beane promised the Pegulas in his job interview that he would solve before the 2019 season. Which then forced him to spend very very little money on the 2018 offense to fill the gaps. This year shows what they do when they have cap space.

And no, the cap issue was anything but overblown. They took massive action. And got massive results, which is why they so very quickly went from a terrible situation to an excellent one.

If the Bills had chosen to keep Cordy Glenn, they would have had two decent OTs.  They could have played Glenn at LT and put Dawkins at RT, but McDermott and Beane either never expected that without Incognito next to him, Dawkins' play would plummet or they didn't care.  They could have also invested more than 1 late fifth round pick and some UDFA and waiver wire refugees in the OL in the 2018 draft.

They might have also tried to work with Incognito ... like not demanding he take a pay cut. It seems to me that they might have wanted to push incognito out the door once Wood was gone.  Maybe they only kept him because he was Woods' buddy.   "Encouraging" Incognito to retire might have very well been the right call but not doing so could have been a possibility. 

FTR, the Bills did not have a "terrible cap problem" in 2017 until they traded Dareus, lost Wood to injury/retirement, and then traded Glenn and had to eat the remainder of the guaranteed portions of those contracts.    They might have incurred dead cap money because of trading Taylor, too.  I think it would have been pretty hard for Beane to promise to "fix" a problem that didn't exist when he was interviewing for the GM position.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:40 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Watson has got some really suspect pocket awareness.

Not sure if that was said in jest, but I agree either way. I think he's a good quarterback. I'm just not 100 sold. The injury issues are a concern and I don't think he sees the field all that well. I've seen him improvise quite a bit, but he OFTEN tucks and runs as opposed to Mahomes who is always looking downfield.

I'm personally OK McDermott passed on Watson. Mahomes; not so much. Time will tell if Allen makes this a moot point.

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just don’t think Star played as bad as you think he did.  We’ve seen very quickly that McBeane have shown zero problems replacing under performing areas this offseason.

Yet we didn’t sign or draft anyone to replace Star and he will start week 1....

There are still $18.5M guaranteed reasons.....above McPridefulness.......that Star's roster spot is safe.

But why would they need to sign or draft a replacement this offseason?

They already have 2018 3rd round pick Harrison Phillips at the position........he who made twice as many tackles as Star and SIX plays behind the line of scrimmage vs. just ONE by Lotulelei (seriously, Star had just ONE TFL and ZERO QB hits).

And Harrison Phillips was no world beater..........Star was just world beaten.

At 340# Jordan Phillips is another possibility to get some snaps there.

The Bills gotta' play Bell and Barkley the first two weeks of the season and if Star doesn't make a significant impact in those games he might even start seeing some healthy scratches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There are still $18.5M guaranteed reasons.....above McPridefulness.......that Star's roster spot is safe.

But why would they need to sign or draft a replacement this offseason?

They already have 2018 3rd round pick Harrison Phillips at the position........he who made twice as many tackles as Star and SIX plays behind the line of scrimmage vs. just ONE by Lotulelei (seriously, Star had just ONE TFL and ZERO QB hits).

And Harrison Phillips was no world beater..........Star was just world beaten.

At 340# Jordan Phillips is another possibility to get some snaps there.

The Bills gotta' play Bell and Barkley the first two weeks of the season and if Star doesn't make a significant impact in those games he might even start seeing some healthy scratches.

I just don’t believe any of this.

• Like (+1) 1