John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

19 years in a row where the team hasn't been in contention?

Say all you want about the management not being the same or whatever...........but it starts at the top and the Pegula's have owned the Sabres and Bills for a combined 12 full seasons and have 1 skin-of-teeth playoff appearance to show for it.

It's definitely warranted to be skeptical of an anemic track record like that. 

It's also your free will to root for teams which are not owned by the Pegulas (no apostrophe).   You're clearly unhappy being a "fan" of Buffalo-based teams.  You deserve to be happy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Say all you want about the management not being the same or whatever...........but it starts at the top and the Pegula's have owned the Sabres and Bills for a combined 12 full seasons and have 1 skin-of-teeth playoff appearance to show for it.

It's definitely warranted to be skeptical of an anemic track record like that. 

They made the playoffs in the first year of the new HC and GM.  But you spin it as a negative.  Wallow in your misery 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's also your free will to root for teams which are not owned by the Pegulas (no apostrophe).   You're clearly unhappy being a "fan" of Buffalo-based teams.  You deserve to be happy.

Right?? I just don't understand the need to be negative about absolutely everything, and being vocal to the point of obnoxiousness about it

• Thank you (+1) 3

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

And if they're in the playoffs each year they're heros.  Why do you want them to fail?

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Why do all your hypotheticals assume the worst?  

Why do you continually accuse posters who DARE to think that McDermott and Beane just might not walk on water want the Bills "to fail"?   

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Terry Pegula and Whaley being in on Mahomes..........and McD(and presumably Beane from his office in Carolina) wanting to buy a vowel instead......... is one of those stories that becomes more important if "the process" goes off course in 2019.

After the early success of Mahomes and Watson it's going to be hard to accept more mediocrity or losing in exchange for just modest improvement from Allen in year 2...........he's not going to throw 50 TD passes but he needs to look VERY GOOD.........which likely isn't made easier by the modest assembly of weapons. 

Unless Allen has a HOF quality career, he's likely always going to be somewhat unfavorably compared to Mahomes by Bills fans unless Mahomes' career is somehow derailed.   It's like the Niners passing on Aaron Rodgers to take Alex Smith -- passing on greatness for decent.   Decent can be pretty good but it'll never be great.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Maybe you should start your own forum where only McDermott/Beane cheerleaders are allowed to post since you so deserve to be happy yourself.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The past 19 years bears no significance or relevance in what Todays Bill's are doing.

For anyone that is being honest with themselves or have the mental capacity to differentiate that unmistakable distinction, understands that to fairly gauge their performance has absolutely nothing to do with the previous 17 years.

New regime has been put in place for not even 2 full completed seasons and they have tangible accomplishments to show for. 

For some odd reason (it really isnt odd), some fans are having a tough time with the concept that new management often times means new processes, new personnel and in layman's terms just a generally new way of doing things.

Beane/McD clearly made a conscience decision to evaluate just about every facet of this organization ranging from upper player personnel, scouting, medical personnel to the players.

Beane/McD also made it a point to to build this team with the sort of players that fit their DNA profile and players they believe fit their system schemes.  No organization is going to make the most fruitful decisions 100% of the time but the best ones usually make the consequential ones count.

Whaley struck out on two huge ones, EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins, two of the worst GM moves in recent memory along with his cringeworthy press conferences led to his demise.  

Beane in his first draft with the Bills landed Allen.  He shrewdly made moves to position himself to have the firepower to go after him while dumping players that didnt live up to their expectations and were nowhere near worth what some other teams were willing to pay for and attain more value than many thought they could fetch.  

When I read these comments that "Watkins is better than anything we have now", I think to myself what an incredibly myopic take.  Never mind the fact that Watkins hasnt put up good numbers in years or that his inability to avoid injury still plagues him to this day, but that often parroted statement is not the consideration that good GM's make.  The questions they ask are " Is he worth $17m a year?"    "At $17m a year do I believe he will stay healthy enough to be on the field often to make a difference on this team?",  "At $17m a year, is he the kind of player that fits the DNA profile that we are looking for?"  And "At $17m a year does he have the track record to justify this cost?"

The Rams had him for one year, decided to give up their 2nd rounder to only decide to not re-sign him to go on to choose Cooks instead.  Let that digest and marinate in some of you guys heads for a bit.

Beane may end up striking out on Allen and other player personnel decisions.  But no one can rationally make the case that they arent following through with their plans despite some of the early teeth gnashing from some quarters of the peanut gallery regarding some of their moves.  They dont care what they think, they care with executing their vision.  They purposely cleared up the cap space to make the moves they have.  And anyone who says that they neglected the offense and are feebly attempting to make the case that somehow the Bills were fielding what the Bills believed to be a finished product are either not being honest or truth be told behaving like nincompoops.

The overhaul of this team has been drastic and that's the way they decided to go after their evaluations.  This is the first year that they truly in my estimations are fielding a team that can at least compete for the playoffs.  And the year after, the team they will build will be even noticeably better than this ones.  

I bet you that internally they didnt anticipate making the playoffs the first two years, not that they would ever say that aloud.  That this year they believe they will be competing and believing they have a good shot at the playoffs and the following year a deep run into the playoffs.

This year will say alot and personally I think they will be somewhere in the 8-8 to 11-5 range.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Why do you continually accuse posters who DARE to think that McDermott and Beane just might not walk on water want the Bills "to fail"?   

Unless Allen has a HOF quality career, he's likely always going to be somewhat unfavorably compared to Mahomes by Bills fans unless Mahomes' career is somehow derailed.   It's like the Niners passing on Aaron Rodgers to take Alex Smith -- passing on greatness for decent.   Decent can be pretty good but it'll never be great.

Maybe you should start your own forum where only McDermott/Beane cheerleaders are allowed to post since you so deserve to be happy yourself.

Why do you and others constantly spin things in a negative direction?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I'm happier than Bob Kraft in a nail salon, buddy.  TBD has a nice mixture of homers, realists, optimists, pessimists and people who, deep down, really just hate the Bills.

Luckily, the actual haters are heavily outnumbered by real fans.

Through the years, I've seen a lot less homerism and a lot more realism.  Sure, there are more homers this year, but there's nothing wrong with that.  Homers don't crusade like the Negative Nancies of TBD do.

This "Wahhh, we didn't pick Mahomes or Watson," narrative/crusade that I see coming up in seemingly every thread that's created is so tired.  It's convenient and weak.  It's just .... old.

Crusaders usually get weeded out when the season starts.

Thank God.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Why do you and others constantly spin things in a negative direction?

Is everything perfect? Of course not. No team is. But that’s just not the way I want to go through life.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Magox said:

The past 19 years bears no significance or relevance in what Todays Bill's are doing.

For anyone that is being honest with themselves or have the mental capacity to differentiate that unmistakable distinction, understands that to fairly gauge their performance has absolutely nothing to do with the previous 17 years.

New regime has been put in place for not even 2 full completed seasons and they have tangible accomplishments to show for. 

For some odd reason (it really isnt odd), some fans are having a tough time with the concept that new management often times means new processes, new personnel and in layman's terms just a generally new way of doing things.

Beane/McD clearly made a conscience decision to evaluate just about every facet of this organization ranging from upper player personnel, scouting, medical personnel to the players.

Beane/McD also made it a point to to build this team with the sort of players that fit their DNA profile and players they believe fit their system schemes.  No organization is going to make the most fruitful decisions 100% of the time but the best ones usually make the consequential ones count.

Whaley struck out on two huge ones, EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins, two of the worst GM moves in recent memory along with his cringeworthy press conferences led to his demise.  

Beane in his first draft with the Bills landed Allen.  He shrewdly made moves to position himself to have the firepower to go after him while dumping players that didnt live up to their expectations and were nowhere near worth what some other teams were willing to pay for more value than many thought they could fetch.  

When I read these comments that "Watkins is better than anything we have now", I think to myself what an incredibly myopic take.  Never mind the fact that Watkins hasnt put up good numbers in years or that his inability to avoid injury still plagues him to this day, but that often parroted statement is not the consideration that good GM's make.  The questions they ask are " Is he worth $17m a year?"    "At $17m a year do I believe he will stay healthy enough to be on the field often to make a difference on this team?",  "At $17m a year, is he the kind of player that fits the DNA profile that we are looking for?"  And "At $17m a year does he have the track record to justify this cost?"

The Rams had him for one year, decided to give up their 2nd rounder to only decide to not re-sign him to go on to choose Cooks instead.  Let that digest and marinate in some of you guys heads for a bit.

Beane may end up striking out on Allen and other player personnel decisions.  But no one can rationally make the case that they arent following through with their plans despite some of the early teeth gnashing from some quarters of the peanut gallery regarding some of their moves.  They dont care what they think, they care with executing their vision.  They purposely cleared up the cap space to make the moves they have.  And anyone who says that they neglected the offense and are feebly attempting to make the case that somehow the Bills were fielding what the Bills believed to be a finished product are either not being honest or truth be told behaving like nincompoops.

The overhaul of this team has been drastic and that's the way they decided to go after their evaluations.  This is the first year that they truly in my estimations are fielding a team that can at least compete for the playoffs.  And the year after, the team they will build will be even noticeably better than this ones.  

I bet you that internally they didnt anticipate making the playoffs the first two years, not that they would ever say that aloud.  That this year they believe they will be competing and believing they have a good shot at the playoffs and the following year a deep run into the playoffs.

This year will say alot and personally I think they will be somewhere in the 8-8 to 11-5 range.

Great points all around. 

Regarding Sammy, as much as I liked him as a prospect and as much as I’d like to see his injury issues go away so that he can reach his full potential, he flat out admitted he didn’t have the kind of DNA McBeane are looking for. And I give him credit for that maturity, too. 

The moves Beane made to acquire the draft capital required to implement his plan were bold, forward looking, and very effective. Time will tell if  they were and continue to be the right moves in the long run, but damn!, I like his willingness to make them. 

As the old saying goes, “Fortune favors the bold.” 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Magox said:

Nicely put. Good post. Particularly the bit about Watkins' salary as being a major part of the equation ... a part of the equation that many here simply refuse to think about.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Homers don't crusade like the Negative Nancies of TBD do.

Oh come on Gug, you know that is not true. Just take yourself back a couple of seasons to the CoT. That was unabashed and unabated crusading homerism from folks who refused to see what was right in front of their eyes about the Bills' starting QB. 

There is crusading on both sides on this board almost constantly. There are fewer of us who try and evaluate each decision objectively (and as a consequence like some of what they do and dislike other things they do). 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Oh come on Gug, you know that is not true. Just take yourself back a couple of seasons to the CoT. That was unabashed and unabated crusading homerism from folks who refused to see what was right in front of their eyes about the Bills' starting QB. 

There is crusading on both sides on this board almost constantly. There are fewer of us who try and evaluate each decision objectively (and as a consequence like some of what they do and dislike other things they do). 

Admittedly, I was a borderline crusader against Tyrod Taylor from the beginning of his tenure in Buffalo.  Those three years were my most miserable as a Bills fan.  It wasn't fun at all.

I was also somewhat of a homer during EJ's tenure.  That experience left a bad taste in my mouth and when Tyrod was eventually brought in, it sent me to a dark place as a Bills fan.

I do agree that there are extremists on both sides; perhaps, like everything else in life, the negative just sticks out more/is more memorable.

Personally, I'm now comfortably in the optimistic/realistic camp.  Last year, I found myself criticizing many players and coaches at times - then praising many of the same players and coaches at other times.

What's not fun on this site is when people do everything they possibly can to put a negative spin on something that is otherwise very positive.  Even in my darkest days, I never did that.  Thankfully, there are only a few who do.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Good point about the CoT crusaders. 

What’s ironic is that many of them are the very same negative posters we have around here. 

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Among others when a few pages back he talks about when you are new like Allen you have to learn to be a bust or words to that effect.

Ah I was on about the specific point about playoff appearances. Your comment seemed to suggest that a playoff appearance had been spun into a negative. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have many times said onbthis board if their current regimes plan does not work they'll get fired.  But also that if it does work they'll be heros.  I think that's objective.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah I was on about the specific point about playoff appearances. Your comment seemed to suggest that a playoff appearance had been spun into a negative. 

If you go back through I believe he may be in the they lucked out camp.  SoTier is especially heinous about that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I have many times said onbthis board if their current regimes plan does not work they'll get fired.  But also that if it does work they'll be heros.  I think that's objective.

But Badol who you are accusing of spinning everything as a negative has said the same thing. 

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Thinking people will fail is the easiest thing to do actually.  "DARE" to think is for people that I ight actually see something good.

Failure is for lazy people.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It was spun into as if it was mainly attributed to luck or that it was a fluke due to primarily the Bengals/Ravens game.   As if the 9 victories that the Bills did to get there was also a fluke.   No one in their right mind thought the Bills were going to achieve that, specially with some of the moves they made to slash talent/salary cap.    

It's a feat that is too conveniently ignored or dismissed by the detractors/skeptics.   It's an important and significant accomplishment that is a testimony to McD's ability to connect and coach up his players.  His game day play calling still needs work but far too often fans believe equate being a good coach with play calling, while that is a very important factor, what is equally if not more important is the preparation and practice that occurs before game day.  

• Like (+1) 1