Julio Jones doesn't care about being highest paid WR

Herc11

21 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Point to where I said they shouldn't. Let me help you, you won't find it because I never said it. What I was saying was that I think its a positive when you have a top rated player that knows the importance of keeping more than just him on the roster.

Earning window of 10 years, huh? I can care less about that. Most starters in the NFL make more money in 1 year playing a game than I will in my lifetime. They only go bankrupt because they don't know how to not spend that money. So you don't think a QB that is getting $30 M per isn't limiting the team? Or a WR make $20 M per isn't? You got save somewhere on the team after having those kinds of contracts. There's a reason why the draft is so valuable now... Rookie contracts that can keep star players and fill the team out for cheap for 4-5 years. This is exactly McBeane's strategy if you haven't noticed.

You certainly alluded to it!! There is never a team that is ever in jeopardy of not keeping the guys that they want. If they have to have them they can BERY easily.

So you don’t care about their earning window but they shouldn’t either? Would you be cool if people found it “refreshing” if you worked for less than your market value? I know I sure as hell wouldn’t want that. I want to be paid what I’m worth.

There is also a MAJOR difference between cap space and contract. The largest cap hit of any QB is 15.7% of the cap. If you don’t think that the right QB is worth that then we don’t agree.  Also, you aren’t keeping star players on “team friendly deals.” You pay market value. It is great to have rookie contracts and everyone agrees with that. It isn’t however a bad thing that a guy wants to get paid what he’s worth. There has never been one reasonable argument that they are out of line.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You certainly alluded to it!! There is never a team that is ever in jeopardy of not keeping the guys that they want. If they have to have them they can BERY easily.

So you don’t care about their earning window but they shouldn’t either? Would you be cool if people found it “refreshing” if you worked for less than your market value? I know I sure as hell wouldn’t want that. I want to be paid what I’m worth.

There is also a MAJOR difference between cap space and contract. The largest cap hit of any QB is 15.7% of the cap. If you don’t think that the right QB is worth that then we don’t agree.  Also, you aren’t keeping star players on “team friendly deals.” You pay market value. It is great to have rookie contracts and everyone agrees with that. It isn’t however a bad thing that a guy wants to get paid what he’s worth. There has never been one reasonable argument that they are out of line.

There certainly are teams that can't keep some of the star players that they would like to keep. Look at how much that Seattle D fell apart as their players started demanding star contracts. Yes, you can afford to keep 2-3 players at top contracts, but that's about it.

Like I said before.... Tom Brady. Take a look at his contract throughout the years. Never once has he been the top paid QB or had the highest contract. He has on many occasions restructured in order to pay other players. Yes, I know restructuring isn't essentially losing money, just changing the way it's dolled out. In fact, in 2016, 17, and 18 Joe fricken Flacco's cap hits were $22.5, $24.5, and $24.7 M... Brady? His was $13.7, $14, and $22 M.

I do agree with you however about the QB position. That is the one position where you have to pay your franchise guy. We all know what its like not to have that guy. And again, I never said it's bad that someone wants to get what they are worth.

Watched a documentary on him once. JJ really has his head on straight and just and all around humble, good, and grounded guy. He spends alot of his off time on a little bass type fishing boat on a lake in North Georgia. Pretty damn good fisherman too! Smart to stay away from the bs and do something peaceful and fun! I would love to have him here but Atlanta isn’t letting him go for nothing less than a kings ransom.

6 hours ago, Herc11 said:

There certainly are teams that can't keep some of the star players that they would like to keep. Look at how much that Seattle D fell apart as their players started demanding star contracts. Yes, you can afford to keep 2-3 players at top contracts, but that's about it.

Like I said before.... Tom Brady. Take a look at his contract throughout the years. Never once has he been the top paid QB or had the highest contract. He has on many occasions restructured in order to pay other players. Yes, I know restructuring isn't essentially losing money, just changing the way it's dolled out. In fact, in 2016, 17, and 18 Joe fricken Flacco's cap hits were $22.5, $24.5, and $24.7 M... Brady? His was $13.7, $14, and $22 M.

I do agree with you however about the QB position. That is the one position where you have to pay your franchise guy. We all know what its like not to have that guy. And again, I never said it's bad that someone wants to get what they are worth.

Tom Brady has already been addressed in this thread. The Seahawks kept Sherman, Thomas, Wagner, Wilson, Baldwin, Avril, Wright, Lynch, Chancellor and Bennett on 2nd contracts. The salary cap in 2015 when they were working on this was $42M less than this year. I’m not sure how you are interpreting that as falling apart?

The cap increasing at the rate that it does makes this simple. The Saints were the first team to master it. They kick the can down the road until their window closes. When Brees retires, they will take a year like the Bills just did and reset it. No one does that while their window is open. No one has “cap issues.” That’s a fallacy. 

I’m not trying to be a jerk or pick on you specifically. People are always talking about what a “bad guy someone is” when he holds out or asks for more money. The reality is that’s the ONLY leverage that they have in this system. This isn’t a game to them. This is their career. We have a hard time relating to that but it is just like our careers. No one takes a “company friendly deal.” We all expect to be paid the market value of our services. 

I don’t mean to spend so much time on the soapbox but this is a topic I feel strongly on. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Julio is brilliant, no doubt about it. Would likely take a massive amount of compensation to land him and be honest, not many players of Julio's caliber would come here, not because of the city itself but because our guys have a lot to prove. Wouldn't surprise me if Robert Foster was our #1 receiver going into 2019. Obviously we will draft a guy too but Foster and Beasley both had good grades on pff and Zay and Brown both have the upside to be solid contributors as well. Foster to me is the biggest enigma on the roster, no doubt about it. He has #1 potential. 

On 4/2/2019 at 11:39 AM, BillsMafia13 said:

hasnt gone below 83/1400 in over 5 years. 113/1700 last year, what at all makes you think hes slowing down.

He is still a beast. You can just tell his athletic ability is slightly going down. its why he had a lot less td's last season and took to mid season to get one there was plenty of times on break aways with space where he would normally get a TD he would end up getting caught from behind. Still a beast tho, but id rather have antonio brown an overall better route runner but obviously cant go wrong with either hes still a top 5 guy

15 hours ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

He is still a beast. You can just tell his athletic ability is slightly going down. its why he had a lot less td's last season and took to mid season to get one there was plenty of times on break aways with space where he would normally get a TD he would end up getting caught from behind. Still a beast tho, but id rather have antonio brown an overall better route runner but obviously cant go wrong with either hes still a top 5 guy

I just wish the bills could spot a top 5 guy like ever.  I love SJ13 but we havent had jack since moulds

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I just wish the bills could spot a top 5 guy like ever.  I love SJ13 but we havent had jack since moulds

Yea stevie was the last #1 we had and even him wasnt even a top 10 guy in the league. There were plenty of years we couldve drafted one with our first rounder but the one time we do got stuck with Watkins, and other years too busy looking at athletic ability only taking guys like spiller and maybin. The year we took Witner couldve landed a few good guys, but yea as of last good bit of years we rarely take any in the first few rounds. And in FA dont seem to make any plays for guys that are actual #1's

However us offering a first for ant brown was a pure impulsive bad idea. and he is a monster and wouldve been great for Allen, def has good bit of elite years left. And yes we had the $ to pay him cause we were about tied with Oakland in cap space and they paid him. And they got a steal for a 3rd and a 5th. Us giving up a 1 wouldve been so stupid. Giving up a possible great player on a rookie salary is never smart. I am glad he didnt want to come here because we need all of our draft picks, and there is a better class of guys in next years FA.

Beasley and who we signed this off season are more of stopgaps and we can get out of them early if we need to. I am glad we didnt end up in panic mode and over pay for M. Jones or Funchees. I do really wish we got Tyrell Williams, gave a little more than Oakland did. Hes a stud with crazy upside great jump ball guy who wouldve been great for Allen. But least we didnt over pay for anyone and next years class will have money rolled over to snag someone. As great as Brown is he prob wouldnt have been the best fit here anyway, especially not with a 2nd year qb who is still in the early stages of developing, brown would end up inpatient. I still am just shocked we were willing to give our #1. Raiders only giving the 3rd and 5th kind of shows we were acting way way way way wayyyyy too impulsive!

Edited by FreeMaxB585

6 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

Yea stevie was the last #1 we had and even him wasnt even a top 10 guy in the league. There were plenty of years we couldve drafted one with our first rounder but the one time we do got stuck with Watkins, and other years too busy looking at athletic ability only taking guys like spiller and maybin. The year we took Witner couldve landed a few good guys, but yea as of last good bit of years we rarely take any in the first few rounds. And in FA dont seem to make any plays for guys that are actual #1's

Well, it does seem we made a play for AB, but wisely backed off when we realized how stupidly expensive he would be. Anything that happened before the current FO is irrelevant. Better to draft a guy and take your chances, for cheap. Just my opinion, obviously. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Well, it does seem we made a play for AB, but wisely backed off when we realized how stupidly expensive he would be. Anything that happened before the current FO is irrelevant. Better to draft a guy and take your chances, for cheap. Just my opinion, obviously. 

Whats crazy is we couldve topped the Browns offer for OBJ. thats what i dont get. We went after Brown but not him!!!! We have a higher first than cleveland and a higher 3rd! We couldve topped them. And as amazing as Brown is, OBJ is younger and wouldve fit Allen better, bigger body possession guy, Brown more of a crisp route runner and Allen is improving but is still not fully there yet in his accuracy. I am just shocked we would give up the 1 for brown but wouldnt do it for OBJ, even if it was a 3rd to we have plenty of picks and obj would be better than any weapon we could get in the first round

pick 10 in round 4 is pretty much a late 3rd, and we have a couple 4th's and 5th's. Also OBJ is already under contract so we wouldnt have had to risk a holdout. If was willing to give a 1 for brown giving a 1 and a 3rd to an elite guy who is younger that better suites our qb shouldve been a no brainer

Edited by FreeMaxB585

2 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

Whats crazy is we couldve topped the Browns offer for OBJ. thats what i dont get. We went after Brown but not him!!!! We have a higher first than cleveland and a higher 3rd! We couldve topped them. And as amazing as Brown is, OBJ is younger and wouldve fit Allen better, bigger body possession guy, Brown more of a crisp route runner and Allen is improving but is still not fully there yet in his accuracy. I am just shocked we would give up the 1 for brown but wouldnt do it for OBJ, even if it was a 3rd to we have plenty of picks and obj would be better than any weapon we could get in the first round

Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of either for this team. I’d rather build organically and inexpensively than go all in on a diva WR this year. Love their talent, but not sure on the guys or the cost. I know others will disagree. “Gotta do it now.”  That comes with costs. No telling what the right answers is. 

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sammy Watkins> Stevie Johnson and it's not even close.

Watkins was an absolute stud his rookie year and was among the top 5 best recievers in the NFL the 2nd half of the 2015 season.

He's just had issues staying healthy. 

And motivation. Didn't he admit to not giving it his all an an article somewhere?

On 4/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, dave mcbride said:

Tom is now the main breadwinner in the household given that Gisele's modeling prime has pretty much ended. He made $22 million last year ($14 million from the Pats and $8 million in endorsements) and she made $10 million: https://www.boston.com/culture/celebs/2018/12/14/gisele-bundchen-highest-paid-model-2018 . Regardless, him taking a little less to make his team beter pays off in the end because of all the outside cash that comes with being the GOAT and and all-time legend on  a perennial championship team in a major-market city. Basically, he'll be paid a lot for pretty much whatever he does the rest of his life. He's actually a terrible example for the argument about players like Jones. He's truly unique.

He has been that way his entire career. If he was doing as Kirby suggested he should do, he would of been the highest paid QB many times over. If you are out to maximaize your income, you don't take a contract well below your potential just because you have endorsements and a highly paid spouse.

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sammy Watkins> Stevie Johnson and it's not even close.

Watkins was an absolute stud his rookie year and was among the top 5 best recievers in the NFL the 2nd half of the 2015 season.

He's just had issues staying healthy. 

It’s debatable whether Sammy was better. As they say, the best ability...