Julio Jones doesn't care about being highest paid WR

Herc11

5 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

....may not care about being THE highest paid WR, but he's looking for money "close"......apparently not happy with his current deal.......can you realistically see McBeane trading to inherit the current tariff and then adding to it?.....

SPOTRAC INFO:

Julio Jones signed a 5 year, $71,256,045 contract with the Atlanta Falcons, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $47,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,251,209. In 2019, Jones will earn a base salary of $9,600,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,466,667 and a dead cap value of $5,333,334.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....may not care about being THE highest paid WR, but he's looking for money "close"......apparently not happy with his current deal.......can you realistically see McBeane trading to inherit the current tariff and then adding to it?.....

SPOTRAC INFO:

Julio Jones signed a 5 year, $71,256,045 contract with the Atlanta Falcons, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $47,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,251,209. In 2019, Jones will earn a base salary of $9,600,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,466,667 and a dead cap value of $5,333,334.

Of course he wants a new contract, but it's refreshing to hear a player say that being the highest paid isn't his priority. He even stated how important it is to be able to keep other players around, which shows he's not a selfish teammate. That definitely sounds like a McBeane type attitude to me.

1 minute ago, Herc11 said:

Of course he wants a new contract, but it's refreshing to hear a player say that being the highest paid isn't his priority. He even stated how important it is to be able to keep other players around, which shows he's not a selfish teammate. That definitely sounds like a McBeane type attitude to me.

....certainly agree......NEVER saw him as one of these sniveling, "ME" divas who lack humility or respect for the game....we all want to be compensated fairly for what we do.....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

SPOTRAC INFO:

Thats only 5 mil more than we pay for John Brown.  Thats a steal.  We wouldnt pay the full contract or cap hit.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No we don't like him.

Hes 30. Still don't want to pay him and cant afford to trade the picks away that will get us no where near the type of player that Julio Jones is.?

I have said if we could work something out with the Falcons on draft day where we move down to their spot at 14 and then maybe get a late round pick back. It would be something I would do. It would probably require us throwing in a 2nd round pick this year and maybe a 3rd next year as well which I would also do. I wouldn't give up a 1st this year for Julio but if the Falcons were willing to move up to 9 to get a particular player, I wouldn't be against swaping picks with them and still aquiring Julio

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This guy doesn’t want a raise!! That means we like him right? We don’t like “divas” that want more money correct? 

No, its the fact that he knows that its important to be able to sign more than just him. This is exactly the benefit that Brady has given the Patriots throughout his career. While QBs are getting $100 million contracts, he isn't close. Being able to have top-rated talent at team friendly deals is a major plus in my book.

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

No, its the fact that he knows that its important to be able to sign more than just him. This is exactly the benefit that Brady has given the Patriots throughout his career. While QBs are getting $100 million contracts, he isn't close. Being able to have top-rated talent at team friendly deals is a major plus in my book.

I think that’s stupid. I question the decision making of anyone that doesn’t maximize their value. Their earning windows are small and their contracts aren’t guaranteed. I think that’s stupid.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s stupid. I question the decision making of anyone that doesn’t maximize their value. Their earning windows are small and their contracts aren’t guaranteed. I think that’s stupid.

Mo' money mo' problems.

Let's develop our own superstars and hope some turn out to have a similar attitude.

This thread should probably be merged with this one: 

Edited by TigerJ
add link to similar thread

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tom is in a unique situation.  His wife is the main bread winner in their family.  For as much as Tom has made in his career, Gisele has made much more modeling.  It's easy to accept less when your paycheck is basically spare change in the household. When Tom retires Gisele will keep bringing in an 8 figure salary for years to come.  She was tied for the 5th highest paid runway model last year at a cool $10 million in earnings.

Gisele doesn't mind if Tom decides to take a discount on his nice little NFL hobby.

Career Earnings;

Gisele  $386 million

Tom    $197.2 million

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Tom is in a unique situation.  His wife is the main bread winner in their family.  For as much as Tom has made in his career, Gisele has made much more modeling.  It's easy to accept less when your paycheck is basically spare change in the household. When Tom retires Gisele will keep bringing in an 8 figure salary for years to come.  She was tied for the 5th highest paid runway model last year at a cool $10 million in earnings.

Gisele doesn't mind if Tom decides to take a discount on his nice little NFL hobby.

Career Earnings;

Gisele  $386 million

Tom    $197.2 million

Yep

My main point originally was, “why do fans look at a guy taking less money as a good thing?” I don’t want to hear someone talking about, “the ability to load up the rest of your roster either.” The top guys are all within a couple million of each other and NO team is ever in a position where they are up against the cap with no other options. As an example the Bills have like $6M of cap space between Ivory (already released), Bodine and Vlad. That doesn’t include Murphy or Dimarco who can create another $3.5M or so. The cap isn’t restricting anybody ever.

For some reason though fans take great offense when a guy wants more money. They say things like, “honor the contract that you signed.” Why should the player honor it when the team doesn’t have to? The situation changes. If you don’t live up to your end of the contract the team can wash their hands. If you exceed your current contract why shouldn’t the same rules apply? Why side with billionaires instead of millionaires?

It doesn’t make any sense yet people always look at these guys as “divas.” Fans get so triggered when a player wants more money. That is what’s stupid. They aren’t doing anything wrong. They are playing the EXACT hand that they are dealt. You don’t see NBA players holding out or asking for more money. That’s because both sides agree to a contract and honor it. Football made these rules and this is the only way that the players can protect their earnings.

We shouldn’t dislike “divas” who ask for more money. We should understand the “why” and not care at all. It’s not our money. You don’t want your friend, the plumber, to not get a raise because it will limit what else the plumbing company can do. Why do that with football players? Why is it wrong for an employee to ask for a raise? The rest of us do it all of the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Herc11 said:

he makes close to $10M now....probably wants a few million more....he may say being the highest isn't a priority but he certainly wants to be close