QB Wonderlic Scores 2018

AtlBills

18 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Can you pay for someone take  a Wonderlic for you just like how those rich people paid millions to get their kids scores fabricated in that Admissions Scandal

i got a feeling the person of interest writing the test are easily identified when they come in to write.

not sure if there's a market of smart guys the size of offensive lineman able to fill in for a test.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, these aren’t related at all.  Jim Kelly got a 15.  Marino got a 16.  Fitz got a 48.

football intelligence is completely different than wonderlic “intelligence.”

While the test may not be indicative of future success, it does provide one useful measuring stick to help evaluate a player's ability to learn and process information. The Fitz score has been a running joke for years -- but think about this, for a minute. For all of his short-comings, Fitz has been around the league for a long time. 2019 will be his 15th year in the league. He has had to learn multiple offenses -- often with no off-season to do so. His headiness has allowed him to hang around the NFL for many more seasons than his underwhelming physical traits would otherwise merit.

Josh's relatively high score suggests that he should be able to learn and apply concepts. He has all of the physical tools that any QB would ever want. Aside from pure luck (staying injury-free, supporting cast, etc.), the key to success will be his motivation and the quality of those who are guiding/coaching him. Given how much improvement we saw pre and post injury for him last year, the arrow is pointing in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 3

They usually do not use the test results to prove the candidate is fundamentally illiterate.

10 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

While the test may not be indicative of future success, it does provide one useful measuring stick to help evaluate a player's ability to learn and process information. The Fitz score has been a running joke for years -- but think about this, for a minute. For all of his short-comings, Fitz has been around the league for a long time. 2019 will be his 15th year in the league. He has had to learn multiple offenses -- often with no off-season to do so. His headiness has allowed him to hang around the NFL for many more seasons than his underwhelming physical traits would otherwise merit.

Josh's relatively high score suggests that he should be able to learn and apply concepts. He has all of the physical tools that any QB would ever want. Aside from pure luck (staying injury-free, supporting cast, etc.), the key to success will be his motivation and the quality of those who are guiding/coaching him. Given how much improvement we saw pre and post injury for him last year, the arrow is pointing in the right direction.

Good QBs have usually had good skill players around them, and the inverse.

11 minutes ago, ALF said:

With a complicated playbook (Rex D)  it's helps a lot to have the high wonderlic , good memory. I'm more in favor with a less complicated O and D. less mistakes that way.  That goes for OL scheme  after what Castillo did.

You misspelled "antiquated".

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, transient said:

You misspelled "antiquated".

Rex had his system, ***** Mario Williams if he won't sacrifice all his abilities to play in this antiquated system.

It's also about figuring out how to take the test. So there are 50 questions, say 27 can be done in 5 seconds by basically everyone, some can be done in 5 seconds by some people and others take a lot longer and there are some that take 10 minutes for the smartest, most knowledgeable person alive.

If you put a few of the harder problems early, and the real tough one at like #15, then a 27 therefore shows you know how to take a test, because you skipped problems and are a good test taker.

That said, you could be really smart, get through the first 14 and just have to figure out the #15 problem...not necessarily a bad thing, not near as bad if you get a 13 and skipped all the hard ones (having the desire to solve complex problems is a good thing to have, but doing that on this test probably shows you have adhd, or did not prepare for the test in anyway...the lack of prep would be more of a concern by far).

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think anyone has ever suggested that the Wonderlic is a conclusive measure to QB success. It’s one piece of the puzzle. The higher the better, Allen gets a check mark here. Not sure why every year it’s a “but Kelly/Marino! But Fitz” argument back and forth as to whether it is meanigful. It’s one factor of many factors. It’s a good sign to score high. It’s a bad sign to score low. But it’s not a determinant either way. There is a reason they still give the test.  I don’t know why it’s ever worth arguing about. 

Agreed.  But some of the bigger criticisms of Allen were the mental part of the game.  So obviously, he’s not a dumb person.  But guys like EJ (28), JP (31), and Trent did well too and it really didn’t mean much.

i was called the biggest homer on this board for years.  I always wanted players to be good.  I freely admit I have a blind spot to judging Bills players.  I didn’t want Allen.  And it had nothing to do with his physical skills or mental abilities.  History says that if Allen becomes a successful qb, it will be a huge expectation to the general rule.  I wish I could just join the cult of Allen and just blindly believe.  Sorry but years of blindly believing and getting let down made me real skeptical.  I’m need much more than 52% and a solid wonderlic score to change that.  And as always, I hope the homers are right. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Ahhhh ... there it is.  Thank you for not disappointing.

You’re welcome nerd. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes and no.

I think the job of the modern QB involves a lot of work off the field - ability to study and retain information, ability to recognize when the same pattern is being presented in different forms.  So from one POV, the Wonderlic score matters just because the QBs know it's on the menu.  Given that it's on the menu, a guy who has an adequate scholastic background consistent with a high school college-prep education and puts in some preparation should be able to hit in the mid-20s.

I would say in this day and age, a score of less than 25 would be a watchout - it would either mean the guy has a learning disability or a poor scholastic background, or just didn't prepare at all.  So if I were a team considering him, I would want to investigate very carefully and satisfy myself that the guy can actually do the kind of study and retention he needs.

Other than that, I'm not sure a higher score correlates with higher QB'ing ability since I would tend to agree that the type of thinking needed to nuke a test like that differs from the kind of on-field "see and react" a QB needs.  The thing that made me laugh was something someone with some UCLA "inside skinny" posted last year about Josh Rosen's attitude - that going in, from what he heard of the guy from people who had met him, he would expect him (Rosen) to have had the attitude that he's extremely intelligent so naturally he would have one of the very best Wonderlic scores, and then "this happened" LOL.  (and I do think Rosen has more potential and less poisonous attitude than sometimes painted, but Mr Smarty Pants did get thoroughly shown up on the Wonderlic by Our Own "Mr Cornfed" and Darnold).

That’s fair.  But like the SATs, there are other factors for certain scores.  

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This is actually wrong.  A lot of people can score in the 40s on the Wonderlic if they have enough time.  The questions aren't very hard.  It isn't the SATs.  

The whole point of the Wonderlic is to see if you can think accurately and quickly under pressure.   Most people don't finish the test within the time limit. 

It has nothing to do with delivering an accurate pass within 3 seconds.