How can we not be all in on Metcalf now?

Just now, Jobot said:

Does anyone know of any receivers who turned out great after a poor 3-cone drill performance?

Tried to google but couldn't find much.  I was wondering what Calvin Johnson's time was.

It was posted that Deandre Hopkins, Dez Bryant and Robert Woods posted similar times

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, HansLanda said:

#1 thing DK didn't have at the college level were numbers - and why did Brown have double the production in terms of yards? I know DK was dinged up (that also is a question mark about his availability) but if he cannot make cuts and get open consistently in NCAA, then he's just a shiny object that doesn't make a difference on the field in the NFL. If his route tree consists of go's and posts, then he is not worth it at 9...IMHO

Alot of people get so wrapped around strength and speed that they forget the finer points or become tunnel visioned because they like what they see. Maybe DK has a fine NFL career- hindsight is always 20/20 but everything I see right now gives me concern and at 9 it would be a huge reach. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Does anyone know of any receivers who turned out great after a poor 3-cone drill performance?

Tried to google but couldn't find much.  I was wondering what Calvin Johnson's time was.

I'd say Adam Theilan is doing pretty well.

People are complicating this and it is somewhat complicated on whether you take Metcalf or Oliver.  I'm a defensive guy and I generally always would take defense first.  But in this case I'm taking Metcalf.  The way I look at Beane's pattern from last April, man swing for the fence.  Allen and Edmunds were swing for the fence picks.  They had the size and athleticism that other guys didn't have but they were very unpolished.  I think of Metcalf somewhat similarly.  He's a swing for the fence pick.  And if he is available at 9 if I'm Beane I'm stepping up to the plate looking down center field and I'm pointing the bat at the scoreboard because when I swing I'm trying to hit it.  To me it's not complicated.  This isn't Darius Heywood Bey.  This is a guy that has shown big play potential vs Alabama.  I'm not saying he caught a ton of passes and amassed tons of yards, but if you watch that one clip, he knows how to handle press coverage and get behind it; if you watch his game winning catch vs UK he can high point in the redzone and come down with it.  He does have break away speed.  He has good hands.  He will just need to work on the route running and durability.  

But alas, if he makes it out of the top 5 he will not make it past Detroit, who picks right before us.

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The difference between Jones’s 6.66 3 cone and 4.25 20 yard shuttle vs. Metcalf’s 7.38 and 4.50, respectively, is far from nearly identical. No doubt Metcalf is the slightly more explosive straight line and stronger athlete, but in terms of the total package required for receivers, his seeming lack of decent, let alone elite agility,  calls into question his route running ability. He’s just not the same kind of wideout as Jones.

I'm not really talking about that. It's fine to poke holes in Metcalf over his agility, though I think people are taking it a bit too far. I take issue with people that don't like Metcalf saying that he must be David Boston because he's big and strong as if we haven't seen big and strong guys have success before.

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Oh you're going to see it.  Right here in Buffalo!

The same can be and was said for Josh Allen at this time last year.

I know what I see.

Thats cool. I'm not saying he's not talented. Im saying that his talent/ skill does not fit us at #9 overall. Let's not act as if tho QB's above any other position are not the exception to the rule. I'm saying we can get an immediate return if we draft an elite D or O lineman at 9 and get a very good WR later in the draft that may be comparable to the production we'd get out of DK in the offensive philosophy that McBeane chooses to operate

11 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I'd trade back to acquire more picks/talent

I'm taking Metcalf.  I'll use a Gettlemanism.  Do I want a quarter or do I want two dimes and a nickle.  I prefer the quarter.

3 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Alot of people get so wrapped around strength and speed that they forget the finer points or become tunnel visioned because they like what they see. Maybe DK has a fine NFL career- hindsight is always 20/20 but everything I see right now gives me concern and at 9 it would be a huge reach. 

Here's my thing, if you were not concerned about Allen and Edmunds last year then why would you be concerned about DK?  It's the same kind of pick in my eyes.  It's a swing for the fence pick.  Those two turned out ok. 

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

I'm taking Metcalf.  I'll use a Gettlemanism.  Do I want a quarter or do I want two dimes and a nickle.  I prefer the quarter.

Here's my thing, if you were not concerned about Allen and Edmunds last year then why would you be concerned about DK?  It's the same kind of pick in my eyes.  It's a swing for the fence pick.  Those two turned out ok. 

Those were two QB's. T hats a little different than skill players

2 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Thats cool. I'm not saying he's not talented. Im saying that his talent/ skill does not fit us at #9 overall. Let's not act as if tho QB's above any other position are not the exception to the rule. I'm saying we can get an immediate return if we draft an elite D or O lineman at 9 and get a very good WR later in the draft that may be comparable to the production we'd get out of DK in the offensive philosophy that McBeane chooses to operate

And what philosophy is that?  If last year was any indication, a lot of vertical routes were in many of the game plans.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I'm not really talking about that. It's fine to poke holes in Metcalf over his agility, though I think people are taking it a bit too far. I take issue with people that don't like Metcalf saying that he must be David Boston because he's big and strong as if we haven't seen big and strong guys have success before.

We won’t know if we’re taking it a bit too far until we see him trying to get in and out of the cuts the entire route tree presents while being defended by similarly athletically gifted DBs. 

I agree the comparisons to Boston are unfair. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

The potential combination of Allen to Metcalf should make any Bills fan smile.  Metcalf helps Allen tremendously.  That's where I'm at.

After free agency, we'll get more of a sense of what Beane may do in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

Those were two QB's. T hats a little different than skill players

Edmunds isn't a QB per say.  And even if he was, a swing for the fence pick is a swing for the fence pick.  We had the near 32nd passing attack in the league last year and to me you fix that by addressing the OL and infusing the best talent at the WR position when you have your franchise QB in house.  There are a lot of guys that have better production due to availability.  But you're not going to find any with that talent.  Take him if he's there.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We won’t know if we’re taking it a bit too far until we see him trying to get in and out of the cuts the entire route tree presents while being defended by similarly athletically gifted DBs. 

I agree the comparisons to Boston are unfair. 

To Boston they are.

David Boston was a stud at Ohio State and also in the NFL until his extra caricular habits took over and he came unravelled.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The potential combination of Allen to Metcalf should make any Bills fan smile.  Metcalf helps Allen tremendously.  That's where I'm at.

I look at it this way.  Not only does he help Allen.  If we run 11 with Metcalf and Foster on the perimeter, what's the defense going to do run the risk of covering Foster and Metcalf 1 v 1 so they can defend the run with an extra player?  He has the potential to help the entire offense.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, the skycap said:

It was posted that Deandre Hopkins, Dez Bryant and Robert Woods posted similar times

Hopkins and Bryant didn’t run a 3 cone and both had the same time in the 20 yard shuttle with a 4.5

Woods’s 3 cone was a 7.15, a full .23 better, while his 20 yard shuttle was slightly better at 4.47. 

6 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Because we dont need to take another huge swing this year imo. Allen at 7 may not of been BPA but we needed a franchise QB. But who knows what the Bills draft board looks like. I would like to think we go BPA and if they think DK is it so be it. 

Where we got Edmunds was pure value. I think he was BPA- again just my opinion. That said, I dont like him in the middle- he tackles too high and needs to get lower. I see him better suited for the outside.

13 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

So you have Metcalf & Jonah Williams staring at you with the 9th pick & a team like the Redskins offering you to trade back where we could still grab a player like  T.J. Hockenson, TE - what do you do? 

Trade back for sure.

7 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Because we dont need to take another huge swing this year imo. Allen at 7 may not of been BPA but we needed a franchise QB. But who knows what the Bills draft board looks like. I would like to think we go BPA and if they think DK is it so be it. 

Where we got Edmunds was pure value. I think he was BPA- again just my opinion. That said, I dont like him in the middle- he tackles too high and needs to get lower. I see him better suited for the outside.

Near 32nd in the league in passing suggest to me that we do need to take another swing.  And to add, one of the worse rushing backfields, with the exception of the QB, to mean it says you need better OL, but you also need another threat to take the top off so defenses can't just sit on the run game.  We have a QB with an arm, we need perimeter WR's who can fly and make defenses pay.  Why do people not want this?  It will actually open up the run game too.

Edited by NewEraBills

29 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

And what philosophy is that?  If last year was any indication, a lot of vertical routes were in many of the game plans.

Run first. Play action. Speed can be found anywhere. It doesn't have to come in the form of DK at 9. To me, speed and strength is his top qualities. If he's gonna be just used as a deep threat, that's attainable at a lower cost. What we need that we don't have, is a big bodied, smoothe route running possession reciever

28 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I agree. I love his play. Just not at 9

22 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I look at it this way.  Not only does he help Allen.  If we run 11 with Metcalf and Foster on the perimeter, what's the defense going to do run the risk of covering Foster and Metcalf 1 v 1 so they can defend the run with an extra player?  He has the potential to help the entire offense.

All for naught if our line ain't fixed. Rome wasn't built in a day

Edited by BuffAlone