Grabbing double TEs in FA could help offset the OL.

In most cases a blocking TE is considered a 6th, 7th or an 8th OL. Seeing how OL is an area of concern for the Bills I’m wondering if securing a couple of TEs in FA would help in several different ways.

1. We need TEs period.

2. Help fortify the OL.

3. Provide more leniency for the Bills in the draft. Meaning not only they really won’t have to address the TE in the draft. 

4. It also allows the Bills not to be forced to take an OL early, especially at the RT position. If they did take an OL with the 9th overall pick then I hope they take Jawaan Taylor, I like his demeanor. This will also allow the Bills to take a top defensive player with their first pick, hopefully an edge rusher.

Now for the 2 that I would like for the Bills to secure in FA is first Jesse James and then the Ravens Nick Boyle. Both are excellent blockers and James has better than average pass catching ability. If like redemption type players then I would like the Bills to consider Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Good player, great story, put him on a 1 year prove it deal with incentives and the Bills just might find themselves a real sleeper. Btw, I want to give a shout out to Jason Crooms, I think that he’s a very good young player that is going to play an integral part for the Bills for years to come.

I like the concept of this, adding some good blocking TEs to help out on the OL, affording the luxury for the Bills to address other bigger areas of need.

• Like (+1) 2

My plan is a Jesse James in free agency and trading a 6th round pick for Tyler Higbee of the Rams. Some rumors circulated that he was available for a sixth last year. Higbee was drafted for Rob Boras who was the OC with Rams and is currently our tight ends coach. 

James goes 6-7, 260

Higbee goes 6-6, 250

Croom goes 6-5, 246

That's  some serious size and length with some very athletic upside, plus both Higbee and Croom are on rookie contracts. I don't mind the idea of Boyle. I think you could add Boyle or Maxx Williams and they could play fullback as well, which allows you to cut DiMarco if you want. And I like ASJ as well, but to me, James-Higbee-Croom is the perfect mix of size, blocking, and recieving ability. They complement each other well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My plan is a Jesse James in free agency and trading a 6th round pick for Tyler Higbee of the Rams. Some rumors circulated that he was available for a sixth last year. Higbee was drafted for Rob Boras who was the OC with Rams and is currently our tight ends coach. 

James goes 6-7, 260

Higbee goes 6-6, 250

Croom goes 6-5, 246

That's  some serious size and length with some very athletic upside, plus both Higbee and Croom are on rookie contracts. I don't mind the idea of Boyle. I think you could add Boyle or Maxx Williams and they could play fullback as well, which allows you to cut DiMarco if you want. And I like ASJ as well, but to me, James-Higbee-Croom is the perfect mix of size, blocking, and recieving ability. They complement each other well. 

I like everything you said here, well thought out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wouldn't mind seeing Maxx Williams if we could get him for a team friendly deal.  I know he's been underwhelming as a pass catcher, but has been very solid as a blocker.  I would still draft one or sign another in free agency, but at the very least he could be a good blocking t.e., with some possible upside as a pass catcher.  Think this would be a better route than signing a vet "blocking" t.e. that doesn't have much potential in the passing game.

I want to go out and draft the best TE in college football. I don’t care if it’s round 1. Just get one. I’m tired of the bills having a te that’s in the 18-25 range. I want a TE that’s truly top end. A guy like Ertz or Kelce or Olson. Not a guy that’s just out there but not terrible. To me that’s what Jessie James is. We don’t need another one of those guys. Go out and draft a truly elite playmaker at TE for the first time in Bills history. Enough of these pedestrians.

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I'd rather draft a premier TE than pick up a castoff.

Only if Daboll works him into the scheme more.....if not, its not worth wasting a high pick.  There needs to be a commitment to using the TE as a weapon in the passing game every week.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want to go out and draft the best TE in college football. I don’t care if it’s round 1. Just get one. I’m tired of the bills having a te that’s in the 18-25 range. I want a TE that’s truly top end. A guy like Ertz or Kelce or Olson. Not a guy that’s just out there but not terrible. To me that’s what Jessie James is. We don’t need another one of those guys. Go out and draft a truly elite playmaker at TE for the first time in Bills history. Enough of these pedestrians.

This sounds great until you realize how very difficult it is to find WR's.  

TE just might be the deepest position in this draft.  Trade back, draft two TE's with upside(as opposed to the garbage TE's in FA).  Two TEs, 2 WR, 2 OL, 1 Edge, and 1 RB sounds like a great draft to me!

8 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t understand the relevance? 

IMO WR is the most difficult position to fill in free agency.  Excellent ones rarely become available. 

I don't think we can afford to use either our first round or second round pick on a TE because I think it's critical one of those rounds is a WR.  I just don't see us going WR and TE. 

I agree that a top flight TE would be nice but I think we'll have to wait a little longer for that to be a reality high in the draft. 

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Only if Daboll works him into the scheme more.....if not, its not worth wasting a high pick.  There needs to be a commitment to using the TE as a weapon in the passing game every week.

Chicken/egg, eh? If he had a premier TE last season would we have seen the same offense as we did?

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

It will have very little to do with Daboll if a TE succeeds in the offense.  

James would be the better option, but Maxx Williams would be dirt cheap and is a strong blocker. Wouldn't be disappointed if we signed either one provided we're going to draft one of the better TE's in the draft.

That's where it gets tricky though. I think the only "judicious" method to acquire either Fant or Hock is to trade back and that requires a second party. Hock doesn't provide enough value at 9 and he and Fant will be gone by our second pick. Irv Smith does nothing for me and there are no other top tier TE'S worthy of that 2nd. There will be some options in the 3rd.

So now I've convinced myself that they need to be pretty heavy on James as a fallback as Williams doesn't provide nearly enough as a receiver.

Ideally, you go into the draft with some flexibility.

Edited by BillsSB2020
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, White Linen said:

It will have very little to do with Daboll if a TE succeeds in the offense.  

So to both you and Cripple, thanks for the education.  An OC, scheme, and playcalling have little to do with how much the tight end gets utilized.  I didn't know that before today. 

I didn't see many, if any, TE drags over the middle; a delayed release or much of anything resembling an iso vertical play for the tight end in Daboll's offense last year.  The times Croom and Clay got opportunities they were either in the slot or wide.  I am sure these plays exist somewhere in the playbook and not having a skilled TE had a lot to do with not calling them, but I question even if the Bills had a skilled player in the role, would they use him.  This offense is road grader run, stretch run, WR and RB screens and vertical...not much room for a TE as a pass catcher.  If you are going to spend a draft pick in the first two rounds on a TE -- Hockenson or Smith are likely the guys..they can block.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

In most cases a blocking TE is considered a 6th, 7th or an 8th OL. Seeing how OL is an area of concern for the Bills I’m wondering if securing a couple of TEs in FA would help in several different ways.

1. We need TEs period.

2. Help fortify the OL.

3. Provide more leniency for the Bills in the draft. Meaning not only they really won’t have to address the TE in the draft. 

4. It also allows the Bills not to be forced to take an OL early, especially at the RT position. If they did take an OL with the 9th overall pick then I hope they take Jawaan Taylor, I like his demeanor. This will also allow the Bills to take a top defensive player with their first pick, hopefully an edge rusher.

Now for the 2 that I would like for the Bills to secure in FA is first Jesse James and then the Ravens Nick Boyle. Both are excellent blockers and James has better than average pass catching ability. If like redemption type players then I would like the Bills to consider Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Good player, great story, put him on a 1 year prove it deal with incentives and the Bills just might find themselves a real sleeper. Btw, I want to give a shout out to Jason Crooms, I think that he’s a very good young player that is going to play an integral part for the Bills for years to come.

I like the concept of this, adding some good blocking TEs to help out on the OL, affording the luxury for the Bills to address other bigger areas of need.

Why don't we just sign 2 big free agent offensive lineman. Trent Brown & Roger Saffold will go along way to helping this team open up running lanes and giving Allen time to throw.

No doubt we need 2 TEs but 1 should be a high draft pk and other via free agency.  Hock fits your theory like a glove this guy's pancakes DEs and runs routes with ease.

Edited by BillsFan1988