The Oscars - Does anybody really care?

/dev/null

The Oscars - Does anybody really care?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. The Oscars - Does anybody really care?

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree to disagree, respectfully. I thought Get Out was a great and original movie which Hollywood struggles to make now.  If you think it got too much credit for other factors than it being a good movie, I couldn’t disagree more.

and sure in a perfect world, these award shows would just be about saying thank you.  But I guess that’s not the world we’re in anymore. Because of social media, everyone puts their opinion on everything out there.  Like it or not, Hollywood people have a huge amount of influence (they always have).  I think it’s weird that people want actors to be more mature and shut up more than our “leaders.”  It’s a weird time to be alive. 

But yeah, most award shows are stupid. 

"Get Out" was far from original, having said that, I'm not saying it's terrible, just overrated. I felt the same way about "Titanic". It was a good entertaining movie, but it did not deserve to win 12 or 13 Oscars, least of all best picture. That honor should have gone to "L.A. Confidential."

As for the Hollywood people needing to be more mature, which they need to be, I don't mind them expressing their opinions. They have a right to speak their minds.

What bothers me is that some of them choose to do it during the Oscars, and that's not what I want to see. The Oscars should be about celebrating the art form of movie making, not about what's wrong with the country we live in or how we are destroying the world or we are wrong for voting who we choose to vote for. There's another time and place for such things, and until they see that, the ratings will continue to fall. Celebrate the art.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I can't help but think that following #OscarsSoWhite the Academy has responded with the subtlety of a brick to the face.  The messaging seems overdone and contrived. 

Exactly. The attitudes of some in the industry is a huge turn off. Diversity is a good thing, but don't snub others for it.

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

I agree - he makes decent and topical films.

But when he opened his Brooklyn clothing boutique (aka t-shirt store) back in 1990, he refused to hire white employees, simply because they were white.  He insists on being interviewed only by black journalists.  He literally spews racism, almost hatred for all whites.  Yet, he throws a hissy fit when HE feels slighted.

Plus, he wears those silly hats and outfits!

The guy is a bigoted jerk. The hell with him.

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

I agree - he makes decent and topical films.

But when he opened his Brooklyn clothing boutique (aka t-shirt store) back in 1990, he refused to hire white employees, simply because they were white.  He insists on being interviewed only by black journalists.  He literally spews racism, almost hatred for all whites.  Yet, he throws a hissy fit when HE feels slighted.

Plus, he wears those silly hats and outfits!

he makes decent and topical films.   That’s true, but are they cinematic masterpieces, worthy of major awards?   Not to me, but that’s just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

he makes decent and topical films.   That’s true, but are they cinematic masterpieces, worthy of major awards?   Not to me, but that’s just my opinion.

No, they are not  My opinion as well.  

And on on top of all that, guy’s a total schmuck.

Edited by The Senator
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Maybe not this year, but there is no doubt in my mind that Do The Right Thing > Driving Miss Daisy.

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Maybe not this year, but there is no doubt in my mind that Do The Right Thing > Driving Miss Daisy.

Yes, yes... Danny Aeillo, John Turtorro, and Richard Edson (the lone caucasions) were wonderful, along with Samuel Jackson and, indeed, in his own arrogant self-serving fashion, Spike himself.

IMHO, that film doesn’t hold a candle, screenplay or dramatis personae, to Jessica Tandy, Morgan Freeman, and - in a surprisingly wonderful performance - Dan Akaroyd, in Driving Miss Daisy.

Again, JMHO

Edited by The Senator

22 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

He’s the Five Guys of movie directors.  Highly overrated.

23 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Spike Lee reminds me of people like Guy Ritchie, Brian De Palma, and Oliver Stone, among others.

I.E., film makers who somehow acquire a reputation as being "hot" and at the top of their profession at some point in time, despite not being very good at all.

That has nothing to do with the political views or personal biases of any of them; I'm talking purely about the films they make.  

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

He’s the Five Guys of movie directors.  Highly overrated.

Not to go off-topic, but did you know (I didn’t until today) that Shaq owns 155 Five Guys?

(In addition to 17 Auntie Ann’s Pretzels, 150 car washes, 40 24-hour health spas, a shopping mall, a movie theater, and several clubs in Las Vegas!)

Edited by The Senator

On 2/25/2019 at 11:57 AM, Mark Vader said:

You're entitled to your opinion.

I saw "Get Out", it's decent, just grossly overrated. It did not deserve all of the fawning it got. Best Picture? Best Director? Best Actor? Best Original Screenplay? Please.

The Stepford Wives(insert African Americans for women) meets Frankenstein via Svengali, that is what "Get Out" is.

Let me also add that I've called out other overrated movies in the past that have gotten Best Picture nominations. "Ghost", "Four Weddings and a Funeral", "The Full Monty", "A Beautiful Mind", "Juno". Also, "Titanic" & "Argo" did not deserve to win during their respective years.

As for what I expect from awards shows, I expect some class, dignity and a little humility. Don't go up there and tell me how to vote or how I should be spending my money.

Gary Oldman had a very nice speech last year when he won Best Actor for "Darkest Hour", as did Brie Larson a couple of years ago when she won Best Actress for "Room". That is what I like to see.

I loved the movie Get Out. Up there on one of my all time favorite movies. 

On 2/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I would definitely vote for Rami Malek as best actor in bohemian rhapsody 

He played freaking amazing in it