Moving to Salt Lake City in May

ColdFront_USAF

23 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Back in 85 86 I was a bartender on Main St Park City. Jazz coach Frank Layden was an afternoon regular in the off-season. He would come in with Lou Hudson from Atl Hawks fame and they would sit at my bar, have lunch and beer, and talk ball. Had a lot of great conversations with those guys. Frank had a great Brooklyn sense of humor.

I assume you know Layden was coach at Niagara Univ. during the Murphy years.  If so I have to assume he talked with you about him.

• Like (+1) 1

I lived in Victor Idaho (not far from Salt Lake) and also in Kemmer Wyoming.

If fishing and hunting is your thing (it was mine) then you will have gone to paradise.   The ski resorts are awesome and filled with hot women (not sure if your married or what but if not....enjoy)

Plus....you get the benefit of living close to a big city with all of those perks.....I lived in very small towns

Minus?   Utah is overrun by mormons.......and I dont knock anyone for their religion....except out in these areas it is more like a cult.......like the scientologists here in california.....I have LITERALLY seen Mormons run families out of town out there.

From what I've read, food "culture" in UT is doing well.  High West Distillery is one of my fav distillers.

Also, if I have read the tea leaves correctly, Vail is making plays to get Olympics back into UT and possibly into CO.

Edited by BuffaloBud

On 2/23/2019 at 9:22 PM, ColdFront_USAF said:

After two years overseas it looks like I'll be stationed about 30 minutes from Salt Lake City, Utah in a couple of months. Are there any Bills fans out there who could point me to some backers bars?

Some google searches told me of a few but the biggest one seams to have closed down. It would be nice to be around Bills fans again!

Also, for anyone that lives there or has lived there, any recommendations on stuff to do in the area? Looks like I will probably be living in Ogden.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Southern Utah in particular has some of the most gorgeous natural vistas you could ever hope to stumble across. It's gorgeous  country.  If you get a little free time to yourself, wander around the state and take photos!  

My best friend was stationed at the same Air Force base you'll be going to in the 90's, when I was living in Colorado.  I went over to Ogden and visited him many times.

Utah is a very strange state, especially Salt Lake City.  Not a "bad" place, just strange.

That said, there are some beautiful places to go exploring.

Good luck!

On 2/24/2019 at 11:25 AM, Marv's Neighbor said:

I remember when the NBA moved the New Orleans Jazz to Salt Lake City, late 70's.  Always thought someone should have changed that team name.  Jazz was a good fit for new Orleans but maybe not so much for Salt Lake City?

The Jazz should have been renamed The Teetotalers but the beer advertisers would not like that.

13 hours ago, Bad Things said:

My best friend was stationed at the same Air Force base you'll be going to in the 90's, when I was living in Colorado.  I went over to Ogden and visited him many times.

Utah is a very strange state, especially Salt Lake City.  Not a "bad" place, just strange.

That said, there are some beautiful places to go exploring.

Good luck!

speaking of Ogden

there is a nice steak house up in Perry. Take 15N past the Truck Scales (I installed the camera system there)  take a right at the next exit and another right on RT 89 (Main Street) 

Maddox Fine Food

After two years overseas it looks like I'll be stationed about 30 minutes from Salt Lake City, Utah in a couple of months. Are there any Bills fans out there who could point me to some backers bars?

Some google searches told me of a few but the biggest one seams to have closed down. It would be nice to be around Bills fans again!

Also, for anyone that lives there or has lived there, any recommendations on stuff to do in the area? Looks like I will probably be living in Ogden.  Thanks for any suggestions!

PM @Rubes , he be a long time resident of SLC. Many many moons ago I watched a game in SLC with him. Now, he getting a little long in the tooth as they say...so maybe his recommendations with be watching the game at the old folks home!

But seriously, I am sure he can help out and is just a great dude.

BTW, i thnk the liquor laws have eased. UNita and Epic are great breweries located in SLC

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

PM @Rubes , he be a long time resident of SLC. Many many moons ago I watched a game in SLC with him. Now, he getting a little long in the tooth as they say...so maybe his recommendations with be watching the game at the old folks home!

But seriously, I am sure he can help out and is just a great dude.

BTW, i thnk the liquor laws have eased. UNita and Epic are great breweries located in SLC

Thanks, ya bastard. I'm pretty sure you're still older than me.

I don't venture onto OTW much these days, so I completely missed this thread. Thanks for pinging me, @plenzmd1.

I've now lived in SLC for 22 years, so oddly it's now the place I've lived the longest in my life, even though I still say I'm from Buffalo. Moved here in 1997, and let me tell you, it has changed like crazy since then. I'm pretty sure it was the Olympics in 2002 that really triggered the change. Lots of people coming here from other states, mostly California. Housing prices are going through the roof, but it has also slowly transformed into a pretty great place.

The alcohol laws have always been head scratchers, although we're dragging the state kicking and screaming towards normal. There aren't any more of the weird "private clubs," and there are some pretty good bars here now, although my favorite place (where me and  @plenzmd1 watched a Bills game together in some other century) finally got torn down several years back and replaced with a giant, ugly court house. I never did find a good Bills backer bar in SLC (I heard there was one in Park City, but never tried it out), and I'm actually surprised to hear Green Pig is one. I stopped watching Bills games at bars when my uncle died about 5 years ago, mostly because he was the only other Bills fan I watched games with here. Now it's all DirecTV for me.

Overall, I think SLC is pretty fantastic, even for us non-Mormons. It still has its weird qualities, but I have to say, every city has its own idiosyncrasies, and I find the ones in SLC easy to tolerate. I lived in Chicago for many years, and it was a trade-off there, too -- a great, fun town with amazing bars, restaurants, arts, and so on, as long as you could tolerate the tiresome politics and bureaucratic nightmares of everyday life there. Here, it's sunny most of the time, the city runs pretty smoothly, the people are incredibly nice, there is very little crime, and the entire state is one giant amazing playground, if you like the outdoors. Not only is it the best snow for skiing, but there are 7 major slopes all within a 30 minute drive. A one hour drive will get you to countless hikes in the middle of absolute wilderness. And there are incredible parks a few hours away in every direction from SLC: north is the Tetons and Yellowstone (5-6 hours), west is Great Basin (<4 hours), east is Flaming Gorge (~3h), Dinosaur National Monument (~3h), and Rocky Mountain in Colorado (8 hours), and south...well, there's too much to list here, but of course there's Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Moab...the furthest maybe 5-6 hours away, most closer. It's almost impossible to see it all. I've camped, hiked, skied, and biked more since living here than I can believe.

Plus, Vegas is only about a 6 hour drive away.

I've only been to Ogden a few times, so I can't tell you much about it, but I hear it's not a bad town itself. Probably about 30 minutes from downtown SLC, so not far. It supposedly has a cool history as a less-than-pious town. As others have pointed out, Park City is about 20 minutes away from SLC, and it's a great place to go every now and then, especially if you like to spend money on fancy *****.

Despite its reputation, SLC has become a pretty solid place for local brewing. There are more small breweries here now than I can keep track of, and they are making some seriously good beers. High West distillery up in Park City makes whisky that is sold everywhere now across the country. It has been great watching these industries rise up over the years to make really great quality stuff.

Happy to go into more detail if you need. Utah is a very different kind of place, but for the most part that's a really great thing. There is nothing like waking up every day and staring up at huge, gorgeous mountains right outside your window. Very cool.

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 2

Here is something a bit unusual to see.  At one time, and maybe it still is, the largest copper mine in North America.   I believe from where I saw it it was 1 mile down to the bottom.   It is amazing how small those big trucks look from the upper edge of the mine.

Note on the 1 mile.   The mine itself is 0.5 mile deep, so that statement may be in error.  We were quite a way up from where the mine started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingham_Canyon_Mine

Edited by Greybeard