BREAKING: NFL, Kap, and Reid settle Grievance Case about Collusion

Alphadawg7

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I wish it was public because it’s fascinating.

Did they have hard evidence of collusion where teams and the nfl were deliberately discussing and agreeing to exclude him or were they able to construct evidence out of multiple teams independently saying ‘pass’ based on NFL communications on policy around the practice of protesting.  

Maybe, but I do belive if his level of play was elite enough there would’ve been some compromise found to get him under center. 

IDK. What he was doing, taking the knee, wasn't against the CBA. I'd think they would have to get a new agreement under the CBA because they didn't have an official policy to stop him. When they tried a half measure, not televising the national anthem, or allowing teams to stay in the locker room during the NA, it made them look complicit or incompetent. If they gave him a big contract, in theory say he got a big contract, POTUS would talk about how the NFL "paid him big money to disrespect our country." They really had a no win situation with Kaepernick.

Edited by CuddyDark
  • Like (+1) 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/18/kaepernicks-settlement-may-not-have-been-as-significant-as-some-believe/

In the immediate aftermath of the announcement that the NFL had settled the collusion grievances filed by Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, speculation emerged that Kaepernick and Reid cashed in, significantly. And while no one has yet to blab about the specific amount (it seems inevitable that someone eventually will), there are some indications that Kaepernick and Reid didn’t strike it as rich as some believe.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, papazoid said:

we will likely find out.....at the latest in 2020 when green bay releases financials from 2019

...according to this, maybe not....and I'd bet the NFL would do this to hide the amount...........

Kevin Seifert NFL Nation Feb 15, 2019

"There is a small possibility that the Green Bay Packers' annual release of their accounting books could provide a clue. Each team would contribute to any financial settlement that is agreed upon, but it's more likely that the money would be deducted from league revenues rather than be a line-item charge. "

On 2/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're both kind of right (to my understanding).   This isn't a question of workplace discrimination.  If your employer has a rule about political activism at work, you can indeed be fired for it, that isn't discrimination.

But then if your employer (lets say you do specialized work in computer hardware development) calls up other businesses in the same field and says "It would be in our industry's best interests if Bills2ref stays unemployed, he's a loudmouthed troublemaker who will make the whole computer hardware development industry look bad" and at least one other business indicates or behaves in a way that can be seen as agreement, that could be collusion and illegal.

This is a very good breakdown. Discovery in such a case could end up being very costly for the NFL and the owners in their other business interests. I question the legitimacy of any rule that requires workers to pledge or stand for the anthem. Certain religions can't comply with that rule and that argument has already been used for the pledge in school. 

• 1 month later...

Settlement is for under $10 million, far less than other estimates.

Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, the NFL stars who alleged the league’s teams colluded to keep them off the field after they led protests during the national anthem, will receive less than $10 million to settle grievances with the league, according to people briefed on the deal.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Turns out they could be bought for NFL chump change.

shocking....

Or that the super attorney Geragos had no case, and NFL settled for peanuts to make it go away. 

29 minutes ago, GG said:

Or that the super attorney Geragos had no case, and NFL settled for peanuts to make it go away. 

A whole movement sold out for the change in the NFL's sofa.

The Pegulas must have been rolling on the ground laughing when the reports of "80 million" for Kaep floated in.

But as others pointed  out at the time--that ridiculous amount made no sense.  It would have been far cheaper for the NFL to just tell one of its owner to hire him to make it all go away.  Turns out with this cheap settlement, they didn't have to hire him or back up the truck to pay him off.  Blowout win for the NFL...

Edited by Mr. WEO

40 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't get it.  The NFL looks like it was guilty of collusion by settling.  So why settle if there was nothing?

The fact that they settled for so little just shows they didn't have a case. You don't sell out a "movement" about taking a stand (or knee) by taking a settlement if you have proof, you drag the organization through the mud to protect other players to encourage them to make similar stands in the future. 

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

The fact that they settled for so little just shows they didn't have a case. You don't sell out a "movement" about taking a stand (or knee) by taking a settlement if you have proof, you drag the organization through the mud to protect other players to encourage them to make similar stands in the future. 

Then I'll ask you, too: I don't get it.  The NFL looks like it was guilty of collusion by settling.  So why settle if there was nothing?

5 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't get it.  The NFL looks like it was guilty of collusion by settling.  So why settle if there was nothing?

They don't look guilty. These players and their movement were using the lawsuit to prop up their visibility, they don't have that anymore. The settlement will be in the news for maybe a week and people will forget about it. A case would have given them relevance for even longer. 

Edited by ndirish1978

Just now, bbb said:

Because even if they didn't collude (the tiny settlement suggests Kaep's lawyer told him there was little chance of proving it in court, obviously) the NFl doesn't want to want anyone snooping around their internal discussions. It could be embarrassing.  Look at the response to Petula's freakout about kneeing and his urging the NFL to front some "black spokesperson" to spin this for them somehow.  A "figurehead" like "Charlton Heston" that could "be in the media".

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because even if they didn't collude (the tiny settlement suggests Kaep's lawyer told him there was little chance of proving it in court, obviously) the NFl doesn't want to want anyone snooping around their internal discussions. It could be embarrassing.

OK.  I get this somewhat.  I wish they didn't settle and Geragos would have had to come up with something.  I was always of the belief that there wasn't collusion.  Then when they settled, I said I guess I was wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Look at the response to Petula's freakout about kneeing and his urging the NFL to front some "black spokesperson" to spin this for them somehow.  A "figurehead" like "Charlton Heston" that could "be in the media".

I have no idea what of this means. 

1 minute ago, bbb said:

OK.  I get this somewhat.  I wish they didn't settle and Geragos would have had to come up with something.  I was always of the belief that there wasn't collusion.  Then when they settled, I said I guess I was wrong. 

I have no idea what of this means. 

It was an embarrassing peak inside the NFL owner's star chamber over how they were dealing with this simple issue of players kneeling.  When that report came out it made the owners look silly.  My guess is that there were lots of similar internal communications that, while not proof of collusion, would have been equally embarrassing if revealed in court.

A couple of bucks and it all disappeared under the rug.  It's a dream result for the NFL, really.  A massive win.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It was an embarrassing peak inside the NFL owner's star chamber over how they were dealing with this simple issue of players kneeling.  When that report came out it made the owners look silly.  My guess is that there were lots of similar internal communications that, while not proof of collusion, would have been equally embarrassing if revealed in court.

A couple of bucks and it all disappeared under the rug.  It's a dream result for the NFL, really.  A massive win.

Oh, I had totally forgot about that.  Good point!  

• Like (+1) 1