Stability - Only 2X since 2000 have the Bills finished then started the next season with the same GM, Coach, OC, DC and QB

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I'm not saying Allen wont be good, but I wonder where everyone's seeing the 'it' factor from him so far. All I have seen so far is that the Bill's have a great RB with an arm to make some throws. Basically white Tyrod with a stronger arm.

As for the coaching continuity, I dont know how good it is. How many of the regularly good teams have this happen to them? HC/GM/QB continuity sure, but good teams always seem to lose coordinators yearly to other teams as Head Coaches. The Bill's coordinators weren't interviewed for HC positions. I dont think they were even considered outside of a few potential rumors that didnt pan out......

Have you watched the games or just looked at the box score after? He's the complete opposite of Tyrod.  Tyrod played not to lose, scrambled to find the easiest pass, even as runners they are not similar at all. I think he takes off so much because the line is worse and the receivers never get open. Josh is a gun slinger who put the entire team on his shoulders

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Move backfired, should have been the end. Instead they kept going back to him only to get the same results.....

They had him start one other time, in Baltimore.

Like I said, that I can understand dinging them on. But let's not pretend they made him the permanent starter.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

lots of anger in this thread.

Because the Bills have been selling hope since Tom Donahoe was hired. 

Culture, continuity, promote from within, analytics, cash to cap, build the bully, study the tape, we’ve heard all the phrases. 

When do we get good? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Because the Bills have been selling hope since Tom Donahoe was hired. 

Culture, continuity, promote from within, analytics, cash to cap, build the bully, study the tape, we’ve heard all the phrases. 

When do we get good? 

maybe next year.  maybe not.

17 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Have you watched the games or just looked at the box score after? He's the complete opposite of Tyrod.  Tyrod played not to lose, scrambled to find the easiest pass, even as runners they are not similar at all. I think he takes off so much because the line is worse and the receivers never get open. Josh is a gun slinger who put the entire team on his shoulders

Yeah, I watched the games. Both had most of their success because of their legs, not because of their arm. How did Josh put the team on his shoulders more then any other QB in the league?

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, I watched the games. Both had most of their success because of their legs, not because of their arm. How did Josh put the team on his shoulders more then any other QB in the league?

0 supporting cast.  His fallback (shady) did nothing for him.  Every game we won/were competitive in was because of good defense and JA willing them through the game like a mule

18 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

They had him start one other time, in Baltimore.

Like I said, that I can understand dinging them on. But let's not pretend they made him the permanent starter.

If you take out the Indy snow storm game and the Bears game, yeah he only started those 2 games.....

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's "sane and rational" behavior?

Tuhrod was HORRIBLE prior to that. It was a swing and a miss, it happens.

This. Add also the fact that Peterman's crapping the bed in that game made it abundantly clear that he was not going to be some kind of 5th-round "diamond in the rough", and helped fortify the decision to do whatever was necessary to draft a QB in 2018.

Yes, the front office allowed Peterman to hang around too long -- and expecting him to be the starting QB in the opener against the Ravens was a bad choice. But credit McD with making that quick hook and benching Peterman at half time. The coaches thought so little of Peterman that even when Josh Allen got hurt a few games later, they went with a newly signed D. Anderson and then a newly signed M. Barkley (when Anderson got hurt) over Peterman. Once two of the other 3 QBs were healthy (Allen and Barkley), Peterman was immediately released.

Yes, being in such a lousy QB situation in the first half of the season does show poor planning on the part of the FO. Still, let's not forget that they had acquired AJ McCarron whom they thought was going to be a solid bridge QB until Josh Allen was ready. As bad as Peterman was, he did out-play McCarron in the preseason. I think that is a bigger indictment of how poor McCarron was rather than the front office having misguided feelings about Peterman. Beane admitted as much when he said that he had made a mistake in evaluating McCarron. As such, he deserves credit for cutting bait and getting a pick from the Raiders in exchange for for him.

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Dont know why.  For the most part NE assistamce seem to fail as HCs.

Anthony Lynn did pretty good last year.  He was a coordinator but still. 

Gregg just has too many opportunities to pick from and cant make up his mind.?

I like Anthony Lynn.   But he has inherited a pretty turnkey operation in San Diego.  In hindsight, I wouldn't mind him as head coach, but that would have largely been continuity from Rex Ryan and Whaley, and me and most of the fan base, and probably Pegula was not ready to accept that at the time.  I also wonder if they burned that bridge a bit with the way they threw him on the grenade at that season-closing PC

With the purging of the Brandon-Nix-Whaley-etc circle, I do feel like the Bills are back in the game as far as competent management who aren't making decisions to just keep fans at bay and preserve their jobs and insulate upper management/ownership.  

Edited by May Day 10

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

This board has only become "MUCH less contentious" because the intolerance of the McDermott/Beane cheerleaders has successfully discouraged those who don't worship at the alter of McDermott/Beane from posting much if at all.  Every dictatorship ever has congratulated itself on supposedly "making everybody happy" simply because it's suppressed dissent.

Except for Allen's play this season, there is NOTHING encouraging about the management or coaching of this team to set it apart from all the other crappy Bills teams of the last 20 years.  In fact, the talent level on this team is as low as it has ever been in those twenty years, easily rivaling 2001 and 2010 ... except that this regime is in its third year not its first.

Two ideas come to mind:

1: They aren’t perfect but it’s a rebuild which some of us support.

2: Somebody seems to have had poopoo flavored cornflakes for breakfast?

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I like Anthony Lynn.   But he has inherited a pretty turnkey operation in San Diego.  In hindsight, I wouldn't mind him as head coach, but that would have largely been continuity from Rex Ryan and Whaley, and me and most of the fan base, and probably Pegula was not ready to accept that at the time.  I also wonder if they burned that bridge a bit with the way they threw him on the grenade at that season-closing PC

With the purging of the Brandon-Nix-Whaley-etc circle, I do feel like the Bills are back in the game as far as competent management who aren't making decisions to just keep fans at bay and preserve their jobs and insulate upper management/ownership.  

They were 9-23 before Lynn.  

And there are a bunch of guys Whaley drafted making contributions to good football teams. IMO, this franchise would have benefited from a GM selecting his head coach and not the other way around.  This is SM’s show for better or worse.  

Hopefully, there excuses stop this year.  They have their qb and a ton of money.  No more teams with negative point differential and awful offenses. 

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

This board has only become "MUCH less contentious" because the intolerance of the McDermott/Beane cheerleaders has successfully discouraged those who don't worship at the alter of McDermott/Beane from posting much if at all.  Every dictatorship ever has congratulated itself on supposedly "making everybody happy" simply because it's suppressed dissent.

Except for Allen's play this season, there is NOTHING encouraging about the management or coaching of this team to set it apart from all the other crappy Bills teams of the last 20 years.  In fact, the talent level on this team is as low as it has ever been in those twenty years, easily rivaling 2001 and 2010 ... except that this regime is in its third year not its first.

I'm not nearly as down on the regime, but I wholeheartedly agree the first paragraph. Never seen anything like it in all my years as a Bills fan. They better be right.

7 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I'm not saying Allen wont be good, but I wonder where everyone's seeing the 'it' factor from him so far. All I have seen so far is that the Bill's have a great RB with an arm to make some throws. Basically white Tyrod with a stronger arm.

As for the coaching continuity, I dont know how good it is. How many of the regularly good teams have this happen to them? HC/GM/QB continuity sure, but good teams always seem to lose coordinators yearly to other teams as Head Coaches. The Bill's coordinators weren't interviewed for HC positions. I dont think they were even considered outside of a few potential rumors that didnt pan out......

You just broke the rules mister.

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

I was talking to my wife about how this is going to be a relatively non-eventful offseason compared to the last decade:

2010: New coach with Chan and Buddy as GM plus most people knew the team needed a demo

2011: New uniforms switching back to the royal blue, draft Dareus, and there was talk maybe Bills draft a QB

2012: Bills sign Mario Williams which was massive and bring Dave W in for the D. Vince Young was signed which at the time people went wild for which I never understood

2013: Chan gone Whaley & Marrone in plus EJ drafted

2014: March Toronto series "postponed" and Ralph Wilson passes away, April Bills trade up for Sammy in the draft, June Kiko tore his ACL, Training Camp EJ was doing EJ things that was probably the most memorable offseason to date

2015: Marrone leaves, Rex is in, McCoy is in for Kiko, Pegula's now officially own the team, and Toronto is officially dead thank god. Oh and EJ his the hospitality tent in training camp a personal favorite

2016: All types of internal conflict regularly reported about Whaley's chance long term same with Rex, Shaq Lawson pick looks awful optically once revealed he did need surgery, and the Bills have to shed a lot of veteran weight due to cap while Rex proclaims they won the offseason. Add in the Tyrod extension has people talking if it was worth it or not.

2017: New coach, new GM, and good amount of roster turnover plus conversation of whether to dump Taylor or not.

2018: Tyrod is gone, draft picks traded like crazy, and Allen drafted. Hype of post-season has half the fanbase thinking the team is a QB away and the other half saying get ready for tough sleding.

By my count 4 new coaches, 3 new GMs, 2 new drafted QBs, 1 ownership change, 1 big uniform overhaul, the ending of Toronto, and one massive FA signing. Considering there is zero potential for any of those this off season I would say yea things are pretty good and quiet.

If she listened to that whole spiel, she's a keeper!

• Haha (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's "sane and rational" behavior?

Tuhrod was HORRIBLE prior to that. It was a swing and a miss, it happens.

To say Tyrod is horrible destroys your credibility.  I wasn’t a Tyrod fan because I knew he wasn’t good enough long term.  But he was a solid game manager who won more games than he lost.  We haven’t had a qb do that since the playoff years. 

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not nearly as down on the regime, but I wholeheartedly agree the first paragraph. Never seen anything like it in all my years as a Bills fan. They better be right.

You just broke the rules mister.

If she listened to that whole spiel, she's a keeper!

If I talked about the Bills like that to my girlfriend, she would go into a coma from boredom. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

To say Tyrod is horrible destroys your credibility.  I wasn’t a Tyrod fan because I knew he wasn’t good enough long term.  But he was a solid game manager who won more games than he lost.  We haven’t had a qb do that since the playoff years. 

Read the post again. The week before, he put up like 50 yards against the jets and the week before that was similar. Whose credibility is destroyed here, exactly?

Edited by Joe in Winslow

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They were 9-23 before Lynn.  

And there are a bunch of guys Whaley drafted making contributions to good football teams. IMO, this franchise would have benefited from a GM selecting his head coach and not the other way around.  This is SM’s show for better or worse.  

Hopefully, there excuses stop this year.  They have their qb and a ton of money.  No more teams with negative point differential and awful offenses. 

That is just a symptom of the garbage management and poor structure.  You had a pretty decent scout (mainly defensively), who was very poor with GM fiscal and asset-management duties as well as public speaking (which is a part of it).  He (and before him, Nix and Levy) were made GM so Brandon, Wilson, Pegula, Overdorf, etc could rule over him and avoid accountibility.

Now, we basically have a CEO of football, albeit a 2-headed one, but I believe they are on the same page (McDermott and Beane).  

Edited by May Day 10

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If I talked about the Bills like that to my girlfriend, she would go into a coma from boredom. 

That's what I was thinking. My ex would have banged me over the head with a frying pan after the first couple sentences. He's got a keeper!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

I was talking to my wife about how this is going to be a relatively non-eventful offseason compared to the last decade:

2010: New coach with Chan and Buddy as GM plus most people knew the team needed a demo

2011: New uniforms switching back to the royal blue, draft Dareus, and there was talk maybe Bills draft a QB

2012: Bills sign Mario Williams which was massive and bring Dave W in for the D. Vince Young was signed which at the time people went wild for which I never understood

2013: Chan gone Whaley & Marrone in plus EJ drafted

2014: March Toronto series "postponed" and Ralph Wilson passes away, April Bills trade up for Sammy in the draft, June Kiko tore his ACL, Training Camp EJ was doing EJ things that was probably the most memorable offseason to date

2015: Marrone leaves, Rex is in, McCoy is in for Kiko, Pegula's now officially own the team, and Toronto is officially dead thank god. Oh and EJ his the hospitality tent in training camp a personal favorite

2016: All types of internal conflict regularly reported about Whaley's chance long term same with Rex, Shaq Lawson pick looks awful optically once revealed he did need surgery, and the Bills have to shed a lot of veteran weight due to cap while Rex proclaims they won the offseason. Add in the Tyrod extension has people talking if it was worth it or not.

2017: New coach, new GM, and good amount of roster turnover plus conversation of whether to dump Taylor or not.

2018: Tyrod is gone, draft picks traded like crazy, and Allen drafted. Hype of post-season has half the fanbase thinking the team is a QB away and the other half saying get ready for tough sleding.

By my count 4 new coaches, 3 new GMs, 2 new drafted QBs, 1 ownership change, 1 big uniform overhaul, the ending of Toronto, and one massive FA signing. Considering there is zero potential for any of those this off season I would say yea things are pretty good and quiet.

From this morning's FMIA Peter King article:

"Fifty years ago Sunday, the Steelers named Chuck Noll their head coach.

In the half-century since, Pittsburgh has had three head coaches.

The 27 other NFL teams in business since the seventies have had a total of 376 coaches since Noll got the job." https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/27/super-bowl-53-sean-mcvay-drive-rams-patriots-fmia-peter-king/

I'll be the first to say that the Rooneys almost to a fault, keep their HC in place over so many years--but definitely the poster child for continuity. Of course, the competing view would be looking at the Bengals, who head-scratchingly kept Marvin Lewis around 5+ years too long. Moral of the story--find the right one, then never let go, lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

That is just a symptom of the garbage management and poor structure.  You had a pretty decent scout (mainly defensively), who was very poor with GM fiscal and asset-management duties as well as public speaking (which is a part of it).  He (and before him, Nix and Levy) were made GM so Brandon, Wilson, Pegula, Overdorf, etc could rule over him and avoid accountibility.

Now, we basically have a CEO of football, albeit a 2-headed one, but I believe they are on the same page (McDermott and Beane).  

There’s no way Beane is winning a disagreement (and everyone has them) over SM.  I believe that is a problem.  Checks and balances is a good thing.  Hard to do that when your GM was hired after your coach.

I have been a fan for over 50yrs. Have seen and experienced just about anything and everything when it comes to the Bills. I actually believe that we finally have a competent FO who have a vision and plan that will be successful and maintain some stability. I like the fact that they aren't afraid to aggressively make moves and just stand pat unlike others before them