Stability - Only 2X since 2000 have the Bills finished then started the next season with the same GM, Coach, OC, DC and QB

BuffaloBill

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Winning programs have far more stability in these key roles.  This is especially true with the GM, HC and QB.  It has been a long time since Buffalo started a season with such promise.

Not questioning your verisimilitude, but minor point - didn’t we start last season with Nate Peterman as our QB?

Hate to nitpick - other than that slight discrepancy, albeit very subtle, I agree with your point 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Winning programs have far more stability in these key roles.  This is especially true with the GM, HC and QB.  It has been a long time since Buffalo started a season with such promise.

It is a chicken and egg thing..If you are winning, then all of them are retained (unless they get HC gigs).  If you are losing you are constantly tinkering to improve your team!

I am sure the Patriots have the same situation except for different reasons because their coordinators are constantly in demand to become HCs.

I, for one, am thrilled to finally see some continuity heading into a season. As you said, it’s something the Bills haven’t had in quite a while. I want to see what happens if you actually give a coach and GM time to build their vision, instead of changing course midway through. I am all for showing some patience for a change. 

One thing that most bad/struggling organizations seem to have in common - constant turnover at coaching and GM positions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Daboll will get a few years to get the offense humming.  I don't see Beane and McDermott wanting to start over with a new offensive scheme if at all possible.  I'm sure they realize that giving Allen a few seasons to learn and run the same offense will be the best thing for his development.  Ultimately, they know that all of their futures ride on Allen becoming a solid NFL quarterback. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Not questioning your verisimilitude, but minor point - didn’t we start last season with Nate Peterman as our QB?

Hate to nitpick - other than that slight discrepancy, albeit very subtle, I agree with your point 100%.

Amen .. you are correct. Though with a slight change we can repair the situation.  Besides is it not fair that I blanked out over the memory of Peterman.

I bet it is kind of rare for that to happen for any team. Coaches move around a lot, either getting fired or promoted. But yeah, two times in 20 years is probably a worse rate than most teams.

7 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

This is why Im confused with the fire this guy and that guy rhetoric. We need to let this group see this thing through. 

Agree!!!

Am I the only one who’s noticing how this whole board has become MUCH less contentious since we all have had a chance to watch a coach make the playoffs and watched a QB who seems to have the IT factor.

Things seem like they are on the right track or at least moving in the right direction. Continuity is important but it is also nice to see some of the necessary staff changes that have been made.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Do they win because of stability or do the major guys not get fired because they are good at their jobs? 

Also, an odd demarcation to use finish and start instead of start consecutive. A solid back door from peterman. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Do they win because of stability or do the major guys not get fired because they are good at their jobs? 

Also, an odd demarcation to use finish and start instead of start consecutive. A solid back door from peterman. 

The Senator pushed me through the back door!

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

But how often have other teams done this?  On the flip side, when you are good your coaches are getting poached to head coaching jobs for other teams, or your up and coming young position coaches are getting poached to take on OC/DC positions with other teams.

This is something we would actually need context for...it seems low, but without seeing what the "best" teams are in terms of that it is a kind of meaningless stat..

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

It is a chicken and egg thing..If you are winning, then all of them are retained (unless they get HC gigs).  If you are losing you are constantly tinkering to improve your team!

I agree.  Whenever stability is discussed I always wonder if it's a CAUSE of success, or the EFFECT of it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

This is why Im confused with the fire this guy and that guy rhetoric. We need to let this group see this thing through. 

I'm sorry, but the sane and rational people will never get over Peterman starting in San Diego two years ago.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This stability results when teams win. 

For example the Bills fired the WR coach, Oline coach and special teams coach because all sucked.  By the "stability" logic, we should expect each of these units to deteriorate next season.