Green Bay Wisconsin forecast

Ice bowl 67

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No escape.  We are getting a high of -14° on Wednesday.  230 miles away @ Southern Tip of L.Michigan.

Your a little more protected on windward side of Lake (G.Bay) than here.  Rolling geography and Lake.

A high of -14 in Illinois?! That has to be an all time record for down there?

2 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

A high of -14 in Illinois?! That has to be an all time record for down there?

Noooo.  Not even close.  Not at all.  I have been here since 1992... We have been in the high -20s°F real temps...  All time Chicago (Official) low is: -27°F (1985).  High was 105°F (1934). Remember warmer in City.  Records were kept at Midway, now O'Hare.  I am outlying, South of City on Indiana Line.  Colder here.

Compare that to BFLo, alee/protected and insulated by Lake... Slightly warmer in winter, cooler in summer: -20°F (1934/1961) and 99°F (1948).

I never felt it as cold in BFLo as out here and when I lived in Iowa.

Green Bay now -36°F (1888) & 104°F (1936).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Wow ?—stay warm gentlemen, and hope the house pipes make it through ok for you too! 

Frost Line is about 40".  Pipes are 48" deep.  Never had issues, even @ -30°F.

Couple years ago in the Arrowhead of Minnesota skiing near Thunder Bay, Ontario... It was -30°F... I got up every 3 hours at hotel to start my Jeep... Should have had an engine block heater.  But, where do you plug in?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

This Wednesday's high will be -9 below zero and a low of 18 below. The night before will be 22 below, can you say Ouch!

Oh... I will take video of the lock gates and the shipping thru the ice on the canal... Will be at work.  The gates are 220 tons each and at these temperatures (with head, difference in water between elevations), the gates "jump" up and down, all 220 tons of steel, on the hinges (bronze pintle ball on steel 20 feet below surface of water).

• Like (+1) 1

In WNY, they close schools because of snow. In the Midwest, they close schools because of the bitter cold. The first time it happened after we moved here, they said, "Exposed flesh will freeze in less than a minute." Yeah, you don't want kids standing at the bus stop in those temperatures. Heck, that's not even enough time to get from the parking lot to the building.

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

Bad week for global warming theorists. 

Actually not, the extremes of cold and hot are more frequent and the spread is broader.  Same thing for violent weather, there are more extremes.  The average temperature on Earth is rising that is verifiable and proven fact.  The debate is about what’s is causing it.

You can no go put your head back in the sand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Actually not, the extremes of cold and hot are more frequent and the spread is broader.  Same thing for violent weather, there are more extremes.  The average temperature on Earth is rising that is verifiable and proven fact.  The debate is about what’s is causing it.

just my opinion but, i think that the underwater volcanoes are building land mass and thereby altering the deep sea currents, which in turn affect the Jet Stream(s). the Earth goes through periods of change, just as all the planets in the solar system do.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Actually if you go to page 12 of the controversial opinion thread I quote someone who says global warming is fake news and say pretty much exactly what you say here, global warming is fact not fake, what is debatable is if it is man-made or naturally occurring phenomenon. I go on to say that regardless of what side of the debate you support, it won't hurt to decrease one's carbon footprint. Was just kidding here. But I shouldn't have done that as it is a controversial subject, have deleted that post.

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There it is. Took longer than expected. 

see comment above...deleted

Edited by Steve O
update that controversial post was deleted
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Foxx said:

just my opinion but, i think that the underwater volcanoes are building land mass and thereby altering the deep sea currents, which in turn affect the Jet Stream(s). the Earth goes through periods of change, just as all the planets in the solar system do.

We can kinda agree on something.  But who knows.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Global warming heats up the Arctic circle. 

Warmer Arctic air rises, pushing the icy jet stream south.

The icy jet stream brings to the US, Europe, and Asia much colder air than we used to get.

Temperatures go down, making our winters longer and colder. 

14 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Actually if you go to page 12 of the controversial opinion thread I quote someone who says global warming is fake news and say pretty much exactly what you say here, global warming is fact not fake, what is debatable is if it is man-made or naturally occurring phenomenon. I go on to say that regardless of what side of the debate you support, it won't hurt to decrease one's carbon footprint. Was just kidding here. But I shouldn't have done that as it is a controversial subject, have deleted that post.

see comment above...deleted

I appreciate the clarification. It’s just uncanny how short a time it takes for someone to mention global warming when discussing cold temps. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The icy jet stream brings to the US, Europe, and Asia much colder air than we used to get.

In the end does it really matter.

Adapt and overcome.  Practice old-school conservatism, etc... 

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We can kinda agree on something.  But who knows.  ?

we probably agree on a good number of things. 

part of being a good neighbor is telling you when your batshit crazy. i would hope that when i go off the rails (as we all do occasionally) someone has the gumption to tell me the same.

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

what happened back when areas of the globe that were once arid are now are desert? did the people back then affect the earths climate or did the Earth just go through a period of change as it does periodically?

global warming really is a misnomer, climate change is probably closer to a truism.

Edited by Foxx