Which is a better investment? Offense or Defense?

iinii

Just now, inaugural balls said:

To summarize: 

Good defense is critical for success.

Not really. Pass rushers, ballhawks, etc are where you want to allocate resources on defense. Good defense circa 2019 means creating turnovers and getting to the quarterback. Also need to get stops in the RZ which usually requires playmakers who can get TFL's, sacks, or even INT's. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

The good thing about this team is the defense is already good enough to get it done. We have a lot of young core players who will continue to improve with some good vets sprinkled in at key positions. In our case it's obvious the offense is what needs tending to and mainly the OL. We get 3 good starters on the OL, a true #1 WR, and a good RB then this team is going places. Not saying Shady can't still get it done, but the end is near and we all know it. Both sides of the ball are equally important because they work in tandem with one another. 

Absolutely agree both sides of the ball are equally important. I differ with you on our D is good enough.

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

i guess we can now throw the old axiom, 'offense wins games, defense wins championships', out the window now.

Who's we?

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not really. Pass rushers, ballhawks, etc are where you want to allocate resources on defense. Good defense circa 2019 means creating turnovers and getting to the quarterback. Also need to get stops in the RZ which usually requires playmakers who can get TFL's, sacks, or even INT's. 

So you don't disagree? This sounds like a good defense to me.

4 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Absolutely agree both sides of the ball are equally important. I differ with you on our D is good enough.

Who's we?

So you don't disagree? This sounds like a good defense to me.

Yes. It sounds like good defense circa 2019. The formula would have been a bit different 10-15 years ago. If a defense could stop the run and wasn't a liability in the pass game, they could really dominate. The inverse is true today, although it's virtually impossible to "dominate" with rule changes and advanced passing concepts. 

Good investments are about sustainability, which according to the article are easier to achieve on offense since “great” defense requires a degree of luck: turnovers, sacks, defensive touchdowns. Great offenses have a tendency toward pragmatism. Offenses act,  defenses react. An offense that can play down hill owns a defense. Look what NE has done in the playoffs. Down hill ball, backed by quality defense. Balance, but consistently driven by a franchise QB and a coach who knows how to exploit weaknesses. 

8 minutes ago, iinii said:

Good investments are about sustainability, which according to the article are easier to achieve on offense since “great” defense requires a degree of luck: turnovers, sacks, defensive touchdowns. Great offenses have a tendency toward pragmatism. Offenses act,  defenses react. An offense that can play down hill owns a defense. Look what NE has done in the playoffs. Down hill ball, backed by quality defense. Balance, but consistently driven by a franchise QB and a coach who knows how to exploit weaknesses. 

I agree with your overall assessment, but the one aspect of defense that I don't attribute to luck is sacks. You get elite pass rushers and you're likely to get sacks, which tend to increase your chances at those turnovers and defensive touchdowns. 

• Like (+1) 1

The title of this tread is not really the right question for a good GM to ask.   The right question to ask is "where can I get the return on investment for each decision".  For example, Khalil Mack for a first round pick and a rookie contract gives a much bigger return on investment then the return for a basket of picks plus 20 million per season.  Patrick Mahomes for a first round pick and 3 million per year is a much better investment than Kirk Cousins for 24 million per year.   

It's all about the OL for me

. Plain and simple. Brees, Rivers, Rodgers etc can take no name WRs and make them known. Josh will be better his second year just for the fact he's got a years experience in this offense. Getting a really solid and efficient OL, IMHO, will be the best thing in Josh's development. You get the running game going. Being able to move the chains and eliminate alot of the 3 and outs in itself will help the defense. I would like to address the OL in FA as much as possible players who have veteran leadership and talent. Having said all that, you have to take the BPA regardless which side of the ball. You can not miss on your 1st round pick especially when you are picking in the top 10. I really like this Risner kid. I don't buy into the thought process that where we are picking is too high if you can get a plug and play starter especially with his versatility. Now, if one of the top rated defensive players drop, which always happens, you take him if he is rated higher. After all, you are always one injury away. You can NEVER have too much talent.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hell yeah it would!!!  KC seems set up to be a favorite to reach the AFC Champ Game a lot over the next handful of years to say the least.  Their best players are all relatively young.  

I really think Buffalo is on that doorstep in the same way the Rams were after Goffs rookie year (although no one knew it yet) and the Bears were after Trubisky rookie year (although no one knew for sure yet).

In both those cases, they had some key defensive personnel in place and just finished a season with a rookie QB with little else on the offense around said rookie QB other than RB's.  Both teams completely overhauled the offensive personnel in one off season, especially at WR where both teams entered the next season with 3 new WRs atop the depth chart.  They also added some key changes on the OL too.  Yes both got new HC's, but our issue isnt at HC, so we are fine there.  

If we can put some talent around Josh this year and shore up the OL, this team very well could be this next years surprise young team that makes a leap to double digit wins and a deep playoff run.  Especially the way Josh has multiple times now made big strides in small windows of time.  Him having a full offseason as the unquestioned starter, a year in the system now, more weapons and protection and I think he is poised for a breakout season next year.

Except for the fact last year, all 4 teams were ranked #1, #2, #4, and #5 in scoring defense.  One season doesn't make a trend, and the most prolific offense KC is at home because their D sucks. 

KC is home because their offense had a subpar day vs NE and because they lost a coin flip.  Mahomes had a bad first half, and they really miss Kareem Hunt.  KC’s defense was lousy all year and yet there they were, hosting the AFC championship game.  Now you could argue that KC’s offense had a subpar day because NE’s defense played very well...

Edited by mannc
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Ya know, I wouldn't really call the #1 AFC seed this year that lost because they had a guy lined Offside a "loser"...

I don't think I would either; however, NE had the better defense that day and kept the chiefs from scoring at will, which had been their M.O. all season.  NE kept the game close enough that they could exploit that crucial mistake.  Had KC been way ahead at that moment, that mistake becomes meaningless.

Point being, you can't always rely on a high-powered offense to win the game for you.  You can get away with it to a point, but when you come up against the likes of NE, then you'd better be ready to play on both sides of the ball.

That's Balance

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Honestly? I feel like the success of your team relies on having a few elite players. One of those has to be a QB. Having another on offense helps a lot too, like a WR or RB.

Then you need to have a couple elite guys on defense too, like an elite pass rusher, elite MLB, CB, or even Safety (Troy Palamalu type).

Having a few elite guys that break the game plans of the opposing team is the key. Guys that MUST be double teamed to deal with, that require extra game planning against.Then you build around those elites on offense and defense.

That's my way of saying both, idealy. If you can only have one, it's offense, but it better be like the top 1 or 2 offenses in the league to make up for a bad defense. Most good teams are good, or at least have the potential to be good, on both sides of the ball.

I think our potential elites currently on the team are: Josh Allen, Trumaine Edmunds, Tre White, and Lesean McCoy (past his prime). The first three aren't there yet and McCoy is probably not elite anymore. Here's to hoping our new crop develops.

I recall an undefeated SB team in the 70's who won with the "No Name" defense. Just saying

8 minutes ago, JBacks said:

I recall an undefeated SB team in the 70's who won with the "No Name" defense. Just saying

Well I wasn't born in the 70's. That game has no bearing on myself or the current NFL.

I actually agree what the poster said. To make it more current and it kills me to say it. Look at some of the talent that BB has won with. Not what I would consider elite by no means on the defensive side of the ball. Just saying, it can be done

Buffalo is going to be skewed toward spending on defense for a while unless they spend some big money on free agent linemen and receivers.  Except for Shady and Ivory, they have a very young offense now:  Five starters are former draft picks on their rookie deal.  A couple more one, Robert Foster and Jason Croom are UDFAs, also on their rookie deal.  The only real veterans besides Shady and Ivory who saw much of any time on the field were linemen who may be gone:  Russ Bodine, John Miller, Jordan Mills.  One or two of them are likely to be replaced by rookies.  Unless Beane signs a lineman or WR to an exhorbitant contract, the offense is going to continue to be low priced until the youngsters prove their worth AND get renegotiated or get a second big money deal.  That will happen eventually, but not this season.

Ultimately as we saw with the 90s Bils, the greatest show on turf (against the Pats), the almost undefeated Patroits and the KC Chiefs a week ago that if can't stop the opposition it doesn't matter how great your offense is. Give me a great defense and I feel have a greater chance to win most of the time.

29 minutes ago, JBacks said:

I actually agree what the poster said. To make it more current and it kills me to say it. Look at some of the talent that BB has won with. Not what I would consider elite by no means on the defensive side of the ball. Just saying, it can be done

To be fair, we don’t all get a Tom Brady. 

But if we could divide him up into 32 equal pieces.......sorry, no....that would be a felony. 

I was referring to the defense