Redskins may want to trade up for QB - targeting Haskins

YoloinOhio

I think there are number of teams who may trade up for a QB that aren’t obvious. LAC, Cincy, Steelers, NE, Vikings, Miami . If you look at a guy like Haskins as one who would benefit from a Mahomes situation where he can redshirt a year, I wouldn’t be shocked to see a team like that jump up with an eye on having a QB ready to replace an incumbent who is either at the end of his career or is mediocre. Similar to KC a couple years ago.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

How so? There are only a couple of qbs remotely worthy of a top ten pick, and if 6 teams (or even 4, if I'm conservative) are out of the QB game and want to trade down, where does that leave Buffalo w/regard to a potential trade down? If teams want a QB, they will be willing to move up. Last year proved that.

QBs always get taken way earlier than they should. If there is a run of QBs taken before we pick, the impetus for teams to move up to 9 will go away. You don’t trade to move up for a player that’s already been taken. 

25 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

QBs always get taken way earlier than they should. If there is a run of QBs taken before we pick, the impetus for teams to move up to 9 will go away. You don’t trade to move up for a player that’s already been taken. 

But who are the QBs in this draft outside of the Ohio State guy? Last year their were legit blue chip prospects. 

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

But who are the QBs in this draft outside of the Ohio State guy? Last year their were legit blue chip prospects. 

Personally, I have both Daniel Jones and Drew Lock graded higher than Haskins. I haven't graded Kyler Murray yet, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm guessing he'll end up with a higher grade as well.

Lock is my #1 guy right now and he's just a tick below Josh Allen on my grading scale (who was my #3 QB last year). Lock and Jones both have higher grades than I gave Josh Rosen last year; Haskins is closer to being a 2nd round prospect than being on par with last year's 1st rounders IMO.

I think all 4 of those guys have a legitimate chance to be taken in the first round depending on how this offseason goes.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Personally, I have both Daniel Jones and Drew Lock graded higher than Haskins. I haven't graded Kyler Murray yet, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm guessing he'll end up with a higher grade as well.

Lock is my #1 guy right now and he's just a tick below Josh Allen on my grading scale (who was my #3 QB last year). Lock and Jones both have higher grades than I gave Josh Rosen last year; Haskins is closer to being a 2nd round prospect than being on par with last year's 1st rounders IMO.

I think all 4 of those guys have a legitimate chance to be taken in the first round depending on how this offseason goes.

Why higher than Haskins, if you don't mind my asking? Haskins' production was off-the-charts great.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why higher than Haskins, if you don't mind my asking? Haskins' production was off-the-charts great.

I watch 3-6 games of each prospect when I'm doing it and I've recently started charting throws as well rather than just eye-balling it. Of the three that I've charted so far (Lock, Jones and Haskins), Haskins came out the lowest in terms of his ball placement and timing. I think Haskins has slightly more potential than Jones, but Jones is so polished already. Jones seems to always have a plan on each play; for example, he recognizes blitzers and knows exactly where his hot read is. He gets the ball out quickly and on time basically every play. Haskins shows flashes of that, but he's just not nearly as consistent at this point in time. You also see Haskins' mechanics fall apart when pressure is coming. I think Jones is a much safer pick and I don't think his ceiling is much lower either.

As for Lock, he's a work in progress in terms of making full-field reads, but the potential for him is sky high. His arm strength isn't Josh Allen levels but it's very good. His accuracy is much better than the media gives him credit for IMO; last year, his adjusted completion % was right in line with all of last year's 1st rounders with the exception of Baker (who was ungodly higher than everyone else) and Allen (who was significantly lower than everyone else) and his percentage of "big-time throws" per PFF was significantly higher than everyone else (with the exception of Baker who was very close). And I think he's shown improvement this year too. He needs more development than Haskins and Jones but I think he has a significantly higher ceiling than both of them.

And like I said, I'm not sure about Kyler yet as I haven't watched any full game clips; just watched a few of his games on TV as they were happening, but just from that, you can tell he has the arm strength, probably at least on par with these guys in terms of accuracy, and he's an insane weapon as a runner. I wouldn't be shocked if Kyler ends up being my #1 QB when it's all said and done but like I said, I haven't REALLY started scouting him seriously yet.

Beyond those guys, the others that I've finished scouting are Herbert and Shea Patterson (both returning to school), Clayton Thorson, and Ryan Finley. I have Thorson graded as roughly a 4th round pick and Finley on the border of a 5th or 6th.

• Thank you (+1) 1

DJ has 4 QBs in his top 32. Haskins is first at 15 - then a drop off until 23

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001012558/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-10

Dwayne Haskins, QB
Dwayne-Haskins.jpg

School: Ohio State | Year: Sophomore (RS) 
Haskins is a pure pocket passer with outstanding arm strength, poise and production. He lacks ideal foot quicks in his setup, but he throws from a firm platform. He has a tight, compact stroke and the ball jumps out of his hand. He can drive the football into tight widows and displays excellent loft and touch on the deep ball. Haskins will get a little aggressive at times, but his overall decision-making has been solid. His biggest issues arise when he's forced to move off his spot because he lacks the suddenness to create and get out of trouble. He's accurate on designed roll-outs to the right, but his accuracy is spotty on the opposite side. He's used sparingly on designed QB runs, but I love his competitiveness and toughness as a ball carrier (see: Maryland game, when he logged three rushing scores). Overall, Haskins has the necessary tools to win games from the pocket, but his success will depend greatly on his protection.

I could see this deal happening.  Any QB with a 1st round grade is capable of being picked in the top 10 picks.  Giants almost have to take a QB.  I don’t see Jags taking a QB unless they fall in love with Murray.  That leaves more than a couple teams sitting behind Denver who might want to jump up for the 2nd best QB.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I could see this deal happening.  Any QB with a 1st round grade is capable of being picked in the top 10 picks.  Giants almost have to take a QB.  I don’t see Jags taking a QB unless they fall in love with Murray.  That leaves more than a couple teams sitting behind Denver who might want to jump up for the 2nd best QB.  

Almost have to?  They need to IMO.

Bortles was benched in Jax for a reason so imo  the Jags may be looking too

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Move UP for LT??

Yikes.  Anyway, move down and let the Redskin blow the pick on a tiny QB who will leave them to play baseball.

Moving up for an OT would make no sense. However, moving down and selecting one with the bonus of adding picks isn't a bad idea. As with ever trade deal you have to ask what are you forgoing and are you ultimately getting better with more picks. I'm inclined to think that McDermott is going to go with the best defensive lineman. 

36 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Just wanted to share a picture from yesterday

27f98b59f51bee7b6a14dc9cd1e5bf72.jpg

5 months to recover?   It's not looking good 

The bad news is he likely has several surgeries and procedures still to come, including the ultimate removal of his ring external fixator. At this point, there is no way he will be ready for the start of the coming season. In fact, he may never be able to play.

The next thing to watch for are reports of a free flap graft.

This is where there is exposed bone from the debridement of infected tissue and where doctors take a muscle from another part of his body and reconnect it to the leg area to cover the exposed area where infected tissue was removed.

If this happens (or has happened), that would make it hard for Smith to return to football at all.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-alex-smith-leg-surgery-recovery-return-redskins-0121-story.html

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 1/18/2019 at 1:07 PM, DCOrange said:

For what it's worth, Charlie Campbell's latest mock has 4 QBs going in the top 11. Haskins and Jones at 6 and 7 to the Giants and Jags, Lock to the Broncos at 10, and Kyler Murray to the Bengals at 11.

I don’t know who Charlie Campbell is, but I hope he’s onto something! 

The Bills are in a good spot.  The only thing that could mess up a trade back possibility would be if Denver wants a QB and fears another team leapfrogging them.  They could conceivably trade above Buffalo, and Buffalo would lose most of their leverage.