The Whiskey Thread

The_Dude

3 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Whiskey is actually what I drink when I'm trying to stay relatively sober. It's got enough kick that I'll drink it slow. 

I think this may be the first time in all my years I've ever heard whiskey used as a method to stay sober. Whatever works for ya?

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I think this may be the first time in all my years I've ever heard whiskey used as a method to stay sober. Whatever works for ya?

If I'm just aiming to get drunk at a bar, I go for well mix drinks. Something sweet that I can just swig. If I buy a $7-8 glass of Jameson, I'm gonna take my time to really enjoy it. 

23 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

If I'm just aiming to get drunk at a bar, I go for well mix drinks. Something sweet that I can just swig. If I buy a $7-8 glass of Jameson, I'm gonna take my time to really enjoy it. 

It's funny you mention Jameson. I can probably count on one had the number of times I've had it. Two of those times were within the last month and one was within the last week. Generally I'm a crown royal guy if I'm drinking whiskey. I like crown apple as well, but that may be frown upon by true whiskey afficianodos. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

21 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It's funny you mention Jameson. I can probably count on one had the number of times I've had it. Two of those times were within the last month and one was within the last week. Generally I'm a crown royal guy if I'm drinking whiskey. I like crown apple as well, but that may be frown upon by true whiskey afficianodos. 

Love the Crown apple!  Great for sipping on the rocks.  I tried the Jim Beam cherry recently, and almost had to spit it out.  Reminded me of the taste of cherry Skoal ?

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, teef said:

s-l640.jpg

i'm not even a whiskey fan, but i was given this exact bottle almost 2 years ago.  it's almost gone.

My buddy brought one of those for the MNF game this year vs the Pats. We were in RV lot so we got started Sunday afternoon. There were 3 of us, and one didn’t have any at all on Monday. We had killed at least 1/2 the bottle. Lots of beer also. 

6 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

My wife loves it mixed with sprite. Bills bar we go to used to have a drink special they call the Kelly Kool-Aid. Jim Beam or Crown Apple, Sprite, Peach Vodka, and a splash of Cranberry. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My wife loves it mixed with sprite. Bills bar we go to used to have a drink special they call the Kelly Kool-Aid. Jim Beam or Crown Apple, Sprite, Peach Vodka, and a splash of Cranberry. 

Popular drink at one of my fav local watering holes is Crown Apple Moscow Mule.  Never tried it, but it seems to be popular.

My current stock in order of preference

1.  Hillrock Rye

2.  Lagavulin 16

3.  Blanton's Single Barrel

4.  Jefferson's Reserve Very Old Very Small Batch

5.  Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve

6.  Four Roses Single Barrel

7.  IW Harper 15 Bourbon

8.  Stagg Jr. Barrel Proof

9.  Basil Hayden's Bourbon

If you haven't had the Hillrock Rye, buy it.  It's worth every penny. 

Always neat.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

My buddy brought one of those for the MNF game this year vs the Pats. We were in RV lot so we got started Sunday afternoon. There were 3 of us, and one didn’t have any at all on Monday. We had killed at least 1/2 the bottle. Lots of beer also. 

That thing is something to behold. Just how it pours is wonderful. To kill half that bottle in 36 hours is heroic. 

39 minutes ago, teef said:

That thing is something to behold. Just how it pours is wonderful. To kill half that bottle in 36 hours is heroic. 

There were also multiple weed pens present. When the bottle was still pretty full, one of my buddies kept trying to pour the whiskey with the cup flat on the table instead of raising the cup up to the bottle. Watching him try to not spill any was pretty entertaining. I’m thinking the pens may have had something to do with that for all involved parties ??‍♂️

9 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

When money isn't an issue, I go for Jameson. What I drink on a budget is Evan Williams White Label. It's bonded, so it has more alcohol in it. I usually drink my whiskey with a splash of water, so depending on my mood, I usually just add a bit more water, and less whiskey, it lasts longer. It's hard to find, but it's less than 20 bucks for a big bottle. Usually lasts me 4-6 months. There's a local Texas brand called Rebecca Creek that's pretty good. Anybody else enjoy a glass of whiskey while puffing on a good cigar?

Does water count as a mixer?

I do that frequently in the warmer months.  When you see me posting at around 9:00 or 10:00 pm in the summer, that's probably what I'm doing. 

McCallan 12

Yamazaki

Bulleit Rye is really good

Jameson Black Cask

Johnnie Black, sometimes Platinum

Crown Royal has a nice flavor

I had a bottle of Laws whiskey one time, but I can't find it anywhere. Loved it. 

A friend gave me a bottle of Oban.  I haven't opened it yet. Never tried it before. 

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 1