Matt Barkley on the sidelines

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

It would be difficult for him to get a starting job in the league.

I think it would be great for the Bills to sign him to a 2-3 year deal.

Exactly, Vadar.

He is a reasonable back up solution.  Give this guy a couple of million or so per, and let's been done with the back-up position.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

They gave McCarron 5m per. . It's the going rate for a top notch backup who could be a starter. And it would keep him here for the foreseeable future.

are you saying Barkley is a top notch backup who could be starter? AJ too?  That may be the going rate for these 2, but I wouldn't consider them top notch.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

are you saying Barkley is a top notch backup who could be starter? AJ too?  That may be the going rate for these 2, but I wouldn't consider them top notch.

Is Joe Flacco a top notch backup? :)  What do you consider "top notch"?

Edited by WhyteDwarf

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Barkley has found a home in B’lo. He needs to embrace the Frank Reich role. Like Reich Barkley is a evangelical Christian who appears to have God given ability to mount comebacks. He’s best suited as a teams #2. We will need him the way Allen plays.

1 good game against the Jets and he's the next Frank Reich?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

Someone who has had a fair amount of success as a backup QB over time, not just 1 game, like Barkley.

Well, if Allen is oft injured, then things are not going to plan anyways.  Ideally a backup just needs to be in QB meetings etc.  I guess, fans should not care so much about backup players IMO. 

5 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

They should have just kept McCarron.

I think they planned on it... what they didn't plan on was Oakland calling and offering a 5th round pick. McCarron is just another guy, not that difficult to replace, so they traded him and took the extra pick which they can use in the draft on a player or as part of a deal to move around the board. And now they have their replacement for him plus the extra pick. Win win.

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

I think they planned on it... what they didn't plan on was Oakland calling and offering a 5th round pick. McCarron is just another guy, not that difficult to replace, so they traded him and took the extra pick which they can use in the draft on a player or as part of a deal to move around the board. And now they have their replacement for him plus the extra pick. Win win.

Yeah, I mean sure, but what is a 5th rounder though?

17 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Well, if Allen is oft injured, then things are not going to plan anyways.  Ideally a backup just needs to be in QB meetings etc.  I guess, fans should not care so much about backup players IMO. 

I explained this viewpoint to the Philly Eagles. 

They glanced at their SB rings and smiled.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Yeah, I mean sure, but what is a 5th rounder though?

It's draft capital. McCarron didn't exactly light it up in preseason so it's not like they suffered a major loss in moving him. They gained an extra pick and replaced him with a player on about the same skill level with a cheaper contract. 

And a 5th rounder could be Kyle Williams... or Matt Milano... or Isiah McKenzie... you never know where you're going to find talent.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe because all the teams that fall apart when the starting QB goes down, take your viewpoint.

But there are other teams that haven't....the Bengals when Dalton went down, for example.

Foles really could have went out and got a starting job, but he seems much more laid back in that regard.  That's why I think it's rare.  Most players in his situation would have demanded a trade etc.

It's nice that people are getting emotional and talking about a guy's reaction.

Still, that doesn't factor into whether it's best for the team to keep someone.

Barkley had one start where, a few weeks before, he was out of the NFL.  If he's good enough to mentor Allen and, if necessary backup, then sure, sign him.

His celebration on the sideline doesn't matter.

• Like (+1) 2

He's the perfect backup to have. I'd extend him now if possible, but it makes sense for him to wait and see if another team will give him a chance to be a bridge guy, or compete for a starting job (ala AJ McCarron this year). I think he has been a huge positive, and from all accounts he is a great guy who is a man of faith and you know how much McDermott loves those. He seems like a good guy to have around for Josh. 

Retaining Barkley as the backup is a no-brainer to me if Daboll is the OC next season.  

If I'm the Bills, I try not to outthink the room on this one.  With the abandon Allen plays with, it's likely Barkley will see some playing time.