In the market for a new truck need help

mrags

14 hours ago, Ned Kelly said:

That particular model is known as a Hilux down under. Very popular in the mining segment.

Quite dated now. Very agricultural diesel by today's standards. Weak front struts... way to skinny prone to breaking on whoopies.

Fantastic vehicle in sand beaches/dunes etc  Auto in 2wd will go anywhere without reducing tyre pressures.

Interior perhaps optioned different in the US but has never been fantastic compared to other manufacturers.

The Landcruiser is the go. I guess depends on what you will use it for.

Toyota  Landcruier for the win!

Modded.... the ducks nuts.

lc79.png

images.jpeg

I know all about the Hilux, I owned an '89 single cab. Had a friend who was obsessed with them and would always brag about how indistructible they were, had a nodded one that was mainly for rock crawling. Used to offroad alot years ago where we could.

I bought one from him and I spun bearings driving it to a mechanic to get a safety check on it to get plates. I replaced the motor but it had constant stall/starting issues when warm so I got rid of it.

They were a solid truck and it's why they have a reputation today of being so great, although that's starting to change.

One of the most famous segment ever on Top Gear was them trying to destroy one, then it became part of the set.

I have always liked the look of the old FJ40s

16 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

My Dad always said it wasn’t a truck unless you could put a full size 8x4 sheet of plywood in the back. 

Can any of the new full size trucks fit a sheet in the back anymore? Trucks used to be for work only, then people started driving them everywhere and now you have vehicles that are built more for daily driving that occasionally get used for actual work. 

Edited by apuszczalowski

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Can any of the new full size trucks fit a sheet in the back anymore? Trucks used to be for work only, then people started driving them everywhere and now you have vehicles that are built more for daily driving that occasionally get used for actual work. 

I believe they still offer trucks with 8 foot beds, but now it’s more of a special order than standard equipment. 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I believe they still offer trucks with 8 foot beds, but now it’s more of a special order than standard equipment. 

I figured you could get a few of the 'heavy duty' or single cab long bed models still. Most are going 6' beds to make up for having 4 doors and the idea is you can haul sheets of plywood, etc. by having the tailgate down.

18 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I figured you could get a few of the 'heavy duty' or single cab long bed models still. Most are going 6' beds to make up for having 4 doors and the idea is you can haul sheets of plywood, etc. by having the tailgate down.

I just did a quick check on Ford's website, you can get an 8' bed with a regular cab or supercab, but not a crew cab. 

• 5 months later...

Well, a few weeks ago I drove by the dealership and saw they had gotten in a Gladiator, stopped to check it out and here in Niagara, it was over $53k for a base sport with a few options, over $65k for the Rubicon they also had. So since Jeep just priced me out (and probably many others since I have yet to actually see one on the road) I started looking around at other trucks since my wife then ruled out me just getting a used 4 door Jeep right now.

I looked at a couple year old Titan (figured Nissan would give me the best trade in for my Frontier) but didn't like the gas mileage or that the turning radius sucked as bad in it as my Frontier.

Always hear good things about Toyota's (although I'm hearing less recently and that they are getting worse), but they are just as expensive as the Jeep for a Tundra (Tacoma's, Rangers, Canyons are too small like my Frontier).

Honda's Ridgeline didn't do anything for me and price wise weren't that great.

I checked out the GM trucks but found they were too pricey and not great on gas, plus reliability didn't seem that great.

That led me to Ford, I have only owned a used Exploder (the engine exploded in the first month I had it due to the timing chain guide breaking). The price for an F150 was affordable, I started researching the EcoBoost and found mileage was better then my Frontier and decided to check some out.

I went to the dealership to test a XLT Super Cab (extended) which was big enough for hauling 3 kids in the back. The one I was supposed to test was sold and the second own they were supposed to have they couldn't locate so I drove one with the upgrade power/chrome/navigation package. Both my wife and I liked it so I went in and they convinced me I would be approved for the additional financing (already approved for financing through Ford on the other cheaper model) and could pick it up in 2 days. Find out the next day the bank didn't want to agree with them so they set off trying to find me a similar one to the one I was originally looking at. They found one without the tow package (don't typically tow anything) but had the centre console instead of third front row seat, plus added a box liner and running boards and got it cheaper then the original one I was looking at.

Pickedit up this weekend and it's been great so far. Kids can buckle themselves in the back with the extra width, Leg room is the same in the back as my 4 door frontier. Gas mileage is as good or better with better torque and horsepower with a 2.7l EcoBoost then my 4l V6 in the smaller Nissan. They gave me a little more then the average/middle range of the trade in book value for my truck too.

My wife's not a huge fan of the colour, Magma, she thinks it's brown, but it's more of a very dark red/black colour. I like it though. It does take a little getting used to the bigger ride. After testing the other truck and getting back into the Nissan, I felt like my wife was so far away in the passenger seat of the F150, and then on my lap in the passenger seat of the Frontier.

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

After testing the other truck and getting back into the Nissan, I felt like my wife was so far away in the passenger seat of the F150, and then on my lap in the passenger seat of the Frontier.

Sounds like a downgrade to me...............

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Well, a few weeks ago I drove by the dealership and saw they had gotten in a Gladiator, stopped to check it out and here in Niagara, it was over $53k for a base sport with a few options, over $65k for the Rubicon they also had. So since Jeep just priced me out (and probably many others since I have yet to actually see one on the road) I started looking around at other trucks since my wife then ruled out me just getting a used 4 door Jeep right now.

I looked at a couple year old Titan (figured Nissan would give me the best trade in for my Frontier) but didn't like the gas mileage or that the turning radius sucked as bad in it as my Frontier.

Always hear good things about Toyota's (although I'm hearing less recently and that they are getting worse), but they are just as expensive as the Jeep for a Tundra (Tacoma's, Rangers, Canyons are too small like my Frontier).

I checked out the GM trucks but found they were too pricey and not great on gas, plus reliability didn't seem that great.

That led me to Ford, I have only owned a used Exploder (the engine exploded in the first month I had it due to the timing chain guide breaking). The price for an F150 was affordable, I started researching the EcoBoost and found mileage was better then my Frontier and decided to check some out.

I went to the dealership to test a XLT Super Cab (extended) which was big enough for hauling 3 kids in the back. The one I was supposed to test was sold and the second own they were supposed to have they couldn't locate so I drove one with the upgrade power/chrome/navigation package. Both my wife and I liked it so I went in and they convinced me I would be approved for the additional financing (already approved for financing through Ford on the other cheaper model) and could pick it up in 2 days. Find out the next day the bank didn't want to agree with them so they set off trying to find me a similar one to the one I was originally looking at. They found one without the tow package (don't typically tow anything) but had the centre console instead of third front row seat, plus added a box liner and running boards and got it cheaper then the original one I was looking at.

Pickedit up this weekend and it's been great so far. Kids can buckle themselves in the back with the extra width, Leg room is the same in the back as my 4 door frontier. Gas mileage is as good or better with better torque and horsepower with a 2.7l EcoBoost then my 4l V6 in the smaller Nissan. They gave me a little more then the average/middle range of the trade in book value for my truck too.

My wife's not a huge fan of the colour, Magma, she thinks it's brown, but it's more of a very dark red/black colour. I like it though. It does take a little getting used to the bigger ride. After testing the other truck and getting back into the Nissan, I felt like my wife was so far away in the passenger seat of the F150, and then on my lap in the passenger seat of the Frontier.

When I got mine I wanted the Magma. Ended up with metallic grey. Absolutely love Magma and the grey. 

The 2.7 turbo is the way to go. Since January I’ve been averaging 18.4mpg. And I drive like a pissed off teenager. Oh, btw. I hope you like to drive fast. The 2.7 turbo is extremely quick. The pickup from 20+ is incredible. Off the line it’s still a little sluggish as it’s a big truck. But once you get moving and the turbo starts to spool, you won’t find a quicker truck anywhere. 

Enjoy my my friend and welcome to the Ford family. 

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

So I have a question for all you truck buyers. You said above that the F150 has enough space to haul 3 kids in the back; but any mid sized sedan or SUV can haul people in the backseat. Do you require a truck with power for anything else? I use my Tundra to haul mulch in the bed, have a 14 ft trailer to haul my tractor with bucket and back blade to other sites. Also use my buddies dual trailer to get loads of lumber and haul heavier equipment. Many dirt roads in my area and in the Spring the truck gives me great traction when going here and there.

Just curious what else you guys “haul” with your trucks other than people in the backseat. 

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

So I have a question for all you truck buyers. You said above that the F150 has enough space to haul 3 kids in the back; but any mid sized sedan or SUV can haul people in the backseat. Do you require a truck with power for anything else? I use my Tundra to haul mulch in the bed, have a 14 ft trailer to haul my tractor with bucket and back blade to other sites. Also use my buddies dual trailer to get loads of lumber and haul heavier equipment. Many dirt roads in my area and in the Spring the truck gives me great traction when going here and there.

Just curious what else you guys “haul” with your trucks other than people in the backseat. 

They're great for picking up dudes at highway rest stops.

I don’t know if anyone else out there is a Scotty Kilmer fan. I watch a couple of his videos when I do boring cardio machines.  This particular video is about Chevy trucks with four cylinder turbo engines.  He is not a fan.

I have a beater 88 F-150 that I use specifically for chores and dirty work. It has an 8' bed, which is almost unheard of these days. Before I started getting mulch delivered, I used to haul 2 scoops pretty easily. I needed to get some top soil a few weeks back. I get to the place and I'm sitting in the truck and the guy drops about half the scoop in and asks me to roll down my window. He asks me if I want the rest, and said "I don't want to break your springs." I figured what the hell and told him to go ahead and drop the rest because I live close and and paid $450 for the truck. After he drops the rest I get out and look and the top 1/3 of the back tires were up in the wheel wells and the back hitch was about 8" of the ground. Somehow she made it home though. I thought I  was going to blow the transmission going up some of the hills by my house. I swear I got my money's worth 10 times over with that thing. 320,000 + miles and still kicking. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I haul all of yours and @Gugny‘s tailgate equipment every Sunday to Bills tailgates because your turdbox and @Gugny‘s go kart can’t be counted on to carry more than a 6 pack of beers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, mrags said:

I haul all of yours and @Gugny‘s tailgate equipment every Sunday to Bills tailgates because your turdbox and @Gugny‘s go kart can’t be counted on to carry more than a 6 pack of beers. 

25 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Blasphemer!!

Frankly, this hurts.  My Nissan Versa Note and I will just stay in Queensbury this year.  Have fun, fellas.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:08 AM, mead107 said:

Don’t those cars ?  have holes in the floor so you can help push it up hills? 

How about the new Jeep truck? 

Those holes are for disposing empty wine bottles.

I like that neat new tailgate on the GMC Sierra.

6257E94F-F0AB-45FE-88E3-FC16A1896D6D.jpeg

47 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Those holes are for disposing empty wine bottles.

I like that neat new tailgate on the GMC Sierra.

6257E94F-F0AB-45FE-88E3-FC16A1896D6D.jpeg

Yet another “fancy” feature that will either a) be recalled for a defective spring latch, or b) corrode and require replacement after the warranty expires. 

I agree... nice feature, but I’ve been burned on these “new and improved” gizmos before. Give me a bare bones truck any day without all the bells and whistles. 

56 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Frankly, this hurts.  My Nissan Versa Note and I will just stay in Queensbury this year.  Have fun, fellas.

We’ll construct a shrine of burrito shells and LaBatts Light in your 1/2 parking space. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, mrags said:

When I got mine I wanted the Magma. Ended up with metallic grey. Absolutely love Magma and the grey. 

The 2.7 turbo is the way to go. Since January I’ve been averaging 18.4mpg. And I drive like a pissed off teenager. Oh, btw. I hope you like to drive fast. The 2.7 turbo is extremely quick. The pickup from 20+ is incredible. Off the line it’s still a little sluggish as it’s a big truck. But once you get moving and the turbo starts to spool, you won’t find a quicker truck anywhere. 

Enjoy my my friend and welcome to the Ford family. 

I have already found a few times that I was going a little to fast on the highway and I didn't even notice it

In the right light you can see the red in the Magma....

8 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Sounds like a downgrade to me...............

its wife, not girlfriend, lol..........

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Dump runs, lumber and materials from the hardware stores, hockey (goalie) equipment

Don't worry, My truck gets used for more then just a kid hauler, Its why I wasn't allowed to get a 4 door Jeep instead of a pickup. We already have a Santa Fe for just going places with the kids.

last weekend I did a dump run for my uncle and picked up a bunch of building material for him. The last thing I did with my old truck was haul a full box load of branches to the dump from my moms house, then immediately went to the dealership and picked up my new one.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

They're great for picking up dudes at highway rest stops.

Toyota Tundras?