Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nick Wojton's take on Allen yesterday:

Stock Down

QB Josh Allen

There wasn’t really a point against the Patriots where Allen looked like the Allen of recent. Instead, he mostly looked like the guy who injured his elbow against the Houston Texans (not as good, for those who weren’t getting it). Like the rest of his team, Allen never really got into a groove early. After halftime, Allen did improve a bit, but mostly again looked shaky. The rookie held onto the ball for too long, at times, while also struggling to find lanes to run to.

Of course, not everything was on Allen. There were numerous drops by his receivers and as usual, his offensive line had a few plays they’d like back. But after his best game with his arm against the Lions last week, this wasn’t what he was hoping for against a formidable opponent.

Sal Capaccio's take:

BEHIND THE STICKS

QB Josh Allen, especially in the first half

Allen’s numbers would have been much better had Robert Foster not lost the ball in the sun for what might have been a touchdown, but the rookie still had his worst performance since returning from injury, especially in the first half, going 7-for-16 for only 48 yards, including an interception when he clearly didn’t see a defensive back in a position to make a play on he ball.  At the end of the day, Allen finished 20-for-41 for 217 yards, a touchdown and two picks.

Reading these and several other sports writers takes this morning reveals a similar pattern:  First they say that Allen had a poor day and a couple of the articles claim he "regressed".  Fair enough based on the numbers but not so fair based on actually watching the game. 

Then at the end of the article they throw out comments about how there were a lot of drops and that Allen's skill players didn't help him out.  In one article the writer graded Allen as a C- (I would have given him a grade of C+) and then the writer gave the WR's & TE's an F grade!  Now think about that for a moment.  Aren't the 2 related?  If the receivers were so bad they earned an F doesn't that go a long way towards explaining Allen performance?

Take Sal's point in the article above about Allen having a very poor 1st half completing 7/16 passes for 48 yards and a pick.  Fair enough because Allen did look shaky in the 1st half (likely due to the Hoodies screwing with him on D) but did it occur to Sal & company that those two early drops had an impact on Allens confidence?  He is a rookie.  Sal mentions that Allen's stats would have looked better had McKenzie caught his pass and Foster found his - you think!  If you add up those two missed plays then Allen has 95 more yards passing and a TD.  So his 1st half stats go to 9/16 for 143 yards with 1 TD and 1 IT - not to shabby! 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Looper said:

Spot on - how is another game of NFL experience a step back ? 

I whole nearly agree and the fact Gillette Stadium is impossible for young qbs to win at, not sure why but it is. This isn’t an opinion it’s a fact, 25 and 0 vs qbs under the age of 25 since 2001. Can’t wait to Billy boy calls it a career 

Allen looks pretty good, but he's got a ways to go.  I wish he would take the easy play sometimes...  On 3rd and 4 or 4th and 3,  throw the short pass sometimes and get the first down.  He too often goes downfield 20 yards+  and the chances of a completion are lower.  Just move the chains Josh...  (of course his guys have to make a simple  catch once in a while too).

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn't have much of an issue with Josh's game yesterday. He had a bad game, it happens.... I have more of an issue with the ***** personnel around him. 

Who the ***** is Keith Ford? How much longer do we have to see Logan Thomas? Croom blows. Our receivers outside of Foster are practice squad players on most teams around the league.

They need a HUGE influx of talent on that side of the ball.

Thomas is another case of this regime choosing potential over actual skill. 

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Reading these and several other sports writers takes this morning reveals a similar pattern:  First they say that Allen had a poor day and a couple of the articles claim he "regressed".  Fair enough based on the numbers but not so fair based on actually watching the game. 

Then at the end of the article they throw out comments about how there were a lot of drops and that Allen's skill players didn't help him out.  In one article the writer graded Allen as a C- (I would have given him a grade of C+) and then the writer gave the WR's & TE's an F grade!  Now think about that for a moment.  Aren't the 2 related?  If the receivers were so bad they earned an F doesn't that go a long way towards explaining Allen performance?

Take Sal's point in the article above about Allen having a very poor 1st half completing 7/16 passes for 48 yards and a pick.  Fair enough because Allen did look shaky in the 1st half (likely due to the Hoodies screwing with him on D) but did it occur to Sal & company that those two early drops had an impact on Allens confidence?  He is a rookie.  Sal mentions that Allen's stats would have looked better had McKenzie caught his pass and Foster found his - you think!  If you add up those two missed plays then Allen has 95 more yards passing and a TD.  So his 1st half stats go to 9/16 for 143 yards with 1 TD and 1 IT - not to shabby! 

You are missing the mark with regard to Allen. It's not all about throws and drops. It's understanding and deciphering what the defense is doing and being able to counteract against it.  As I posted before, it's part of the education of a rookie QB with playing experience being the best teacher.  Not a disastrous day and he'll learn from it.  No need to rush in and defend Allen from criticism. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Allen looks pretty good, but he's got a ways to go.  I wish he would take the easy play sometimes...  On 3rd and 4 or 4th and 3,  throw the short pass sometimes and get the first down.  He too often goes downfield 20 yards+  and the chances of a completion are lower.  Just move the chains Josh...  (of course his guys have to make a simple  catch once in a while too).

There is a video from college where the drill is dumping the ball off to his outlet, but he keeps throwing deep. Even today he ran when he could've passed to Shady. He either knows he sucks at it or has no concept of making the right play. People will keep using his yards per attempt as an excuse for his completion percentage though.

Just now, nedboy7 said:

can’t wait to hear what the creative excuses are for this team next year.  “We have 7 picks this year!  It a rebuild!   I see progress even though our win totals are down!”   

Depressing. 

Maybe you can go buy season tickets to the Browns for next year, that way you can cheer Tyrods clipboard holding skills from closer up.

27 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You are missing the mark with regard to Allen. It's not all about throws and drops. It's understanding and deciphering what the defense is doing and being able to counteract against it.  As I posted before, it's part of the education of a rookie QB with playing experience being the best teacher.  Not a disastrous day and he'll learn from it.  No need to rush in and defend Allen from criticism. 

Fair points and I don't disagree and BTW thanks for the links because it makes it a hell of a lot easier to read the stories from one location then digging them up and dealing with the various pay walls! 

I suspect that both the rush to defend AND attack Allen comes from the same emotional stand point for us Bills fans.  The last 20 years have sure taken a toll on all of us.  Hell, even during the glorious Super Bowl years we never actually won one.  But the last 20 years have been especially brutal with the playoff drought. Hell the ONLY reason we made the playoffs last year was a miracle play by Andy Dalton.  And let's be honest - if you had to distill all this down to the 2 key factors for why we've struggled for so long it would be COACHING & QB PLAY.  That's it in a nutshell and so every year Bills fans tend to cluster into 2 groups with respect to their reaction to the QB & Coach:

*  The Hate Allen Army (& the Hate MacDermitt Army) are the pessimists who through harsh experience have learned to never trust the new QB or Coach.  That in the end they'll be let down.  Like a guy who has married multiple times with every marriage ending in bitter divorce they vow to never LOVE again!  They focus a microscope on any failings by the QB & Head Coach and desperately look around for their successor who they lavish over the top praise on until they to disappoint them.  It becomes an endless cycle of misery leading to such things as drunken table smashing on YouTube! 

*  In contrast the Allen Bunker Brigade are made up mostly of optimists.  We want Allen & MacDermitt to succeed because they have to.  If they don't we're back to square one and face another couple of years of futility.  And when a QB like Allen does flash elite POTENTIAL we seize on that and hope for the best.  Because if this time we are right and he is the guy at QB we're back in the playoff hunt which is when the NFL is truly fun to follow.  

Sure being balanced and open minded and not being to negative or to positive would probably be the best approach to these things.  But football is an EMOTIONAL game often fueled by alcohol so you just don't get a lot of moderation in the views about these two critical positions on a football team.  Though I think the Allen Bunker Brigade is far more balanced but I digress.  I do know that for me it's a lot more fun to root for these guys and be optimistic that yes we have our head coach and QB for years to come then to be looking at every flaw under a microscope.  Just like during the Super Bowl years I would have been good with losing 10 of those games as long as we had a chance to play in them.  Getting there was always 99% of the FUN! 

Edited by CincyBillsFan

Just now, dickleyjones said:

haha the irony. nice buzzword btw.

try backing up your nonsense with proof instead of whatever this post was supposed to be.

Asking for proof after I responded to your one two-letter word response? Lol. Try taking your own advice slick then maybe I’ll elaborate for you.

5 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

the ridiculous statement was yours. i simply responded in kind because you have no proof.

Right because homer posts about Allen don’t exist here. Never have never will. I am not digging them up for you on Christmas Eve. Read em yourself. You’re obviously willfully ignorant and proud of it, for some reason. Christ

10 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Right because homer posts about Allen don’t exist here. Never have never will. I am not digging them up for you on Christmas Eve. Read em yourself. You’re obviously willfully ignorant and proud of it, for some reason. Christ

homer posts? you said there were "he doesn't need to improve" posts. but why stay on topic when you can insult instead.