Josh Allen...40 time versus game speed

Big Turk

12 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I am a former college sprinter and an Allen fan, but his form in that 40 is absolutely brutal. He is so much more fluid in game. If he worked on it I'm sure you could max him out in the low 4.5's.

and I still think he had the fastest time of the 1st round QBs though Lamar Jackson didn't participate.

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  The eye test never lies.  The 40 yard dash can be deceiving (see Jerry Rice's 4.71 seconds).  Running in a straight line without pads doesn't always translate to football speed.  He's about as fast as Tribusky, but a little more elusive with his bigger frame helps him pick up those extra yards.

Jerry Rice didn't run a 4.71...he ran between a 4.55 and 4.59 based on multiple recorded times as mentioned by Bill Walsh and Gil Brandt. Rice also admitted he had no clue how to properly run a 40 yard dash effectively...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/4chp3i/no_jerry_rice_did_not_run_a_471_40_in_1985/

51 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Aren't the Next Gen mph speeds the top speed and not the average speed? 

They are but Allen got to a top speed of 20.6 MPH on a 10 yard run...that's some serious acceleration for a big guy...

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Jerry Rice didn't run a 4.71...he ran between a 4.55 and 4.59 based on multiple recorded times as mentioned by Bill Walsh and Gil Brandt. Rice also admitted he had no clue how to properly run a 40 yard dash effectively...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/4chp3i/no_jerry_rice_did_not_run_a_471_40_in_1985/

They are but Allen got to a top speed of 20.6 MPH on a 10 yard run...that's some serious acceleration for a big guy...

Yup. He really did on that reverse pivot and race for the sidelines for a first down in the first half. Really quick. But if the numbers are for top speed any comparisons to any 40 time is kind of foolish. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

13 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup.  I don't think he was going all-out either because he probably knew he could run pretty fast without doing so and most importantly didn't want to risk injuring himself.

Running 25 steps?

Edited by Mr. WEO

the 40 yard dash has alot to do with technique that's why..josh allens technique during the combine was really really poor..

He definitely isn't a 4.7 40 guy based on what weve seen from his game speed hes noticeably faster then wentz who timed similar to him

in the 40.

7 minutes ago, bills11 said:

the 40 yard dash has alot to do with technique that's why..josh allens technique during the combine was really really poor..

He definitely isn't a 4.7 40 guy based on what weve seen from his game speed hes noticeably faster then wentz who timed similar to him

in the 40.

LOL

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He isn’t trying in the 40.

thats why he looks robotic... because he isn’t using his full natural athleticism 

Why do you suppose the guy leaning most heavily on his athleticism in the draft not actually trying?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

That would require a very special level of unpreparedness

Or bad luck. If he knows he can run fast for a QB without over-exerting himself, there’s no need to do it. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Why do you suppose the guy leaning most heavily on his athleticism in the draft not actually trying?

“The guy most leaning on his altheticism”?  Hardly. It was his size, arm strength and improvement from college to the bowl game.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL

It really does though. There are guys who will hire coaches and practice the 40 just because a good time can make $$$. You can cut almost a tenth off your time simply by keeping your head down for the first 20, there's definitely a technique to it.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It really does though. There are guys who will hire coaches and practice the 40 just because a good time can make $$$. You can cut almost a tenth off your time simply by keeping your head down for the first 20, there's definitely a technique to it.

Yup.  Unless you have perfect technique, a speed coach can help you shave-off hundredths, if not tenths, of seconds. 

Edited by Doc

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Or bad luck. If he knows he can run fast for a QB without over-exerting himself, there’s no need to do it. 

“The guy most leaning on his altheticism”?  Hardly. It was his size, arm strength and improvement from college to the bowl game.

I meant generally that he was the best piece of clay. Which adding a 4.4 forty instead of 4.7 would’ve majorly underscored 

he was drafted for freak show potential compared to the other 3 more polished guys. 

You really don’t think adding a great 40 to the best arm would’ve made him a more premium prospect?

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I meant generally that he was the best piece of clay. Which adding a 4.4 forty instead of 4.7 would’ve majorly underscored 

he was drafted for freak show potential compared to the other 3 more polished guys. 

You really don’t think adding a great 40 to the best arm would’ve made him a more premium prospect?

I think pre-draft he was just focused on improving his QB technique with Jordan Palmer and probably figured he'd do well at the 40 because he had confidence in his speed. Honestly he still did do well on the 40 beating his competition in the 1st round.

17 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Couple reasons I can Think of...

1) people already questioned his Quarterbacking skills.. if he ran a 4.48 fourty.. it would just fuel the Hes a RB playing QB (same reason Lamar didn’t run) he didn’t want people to only see the speed

2) maybe he didn’t want to play for the Browns.. and running a 4.48 at 6’5 might have pushed him to #1

3) maybe he didn’t really care about showing how fast he really runs

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I couldn’t tell you for sure. I don’t think that if Jackson had run the 40 and shined that he’d have been drafted any higher than he was.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Couple reasons I can Think of...

1) people already questioned his Quarterbacking skills.. if he ran a 4.48 fourty.. it would just fuel the Hes a RB playing QB (same reason Lamar didn’t run) he didn’t want people to only see the speed

2) maybe he didn’t want to play for the Browns.. and running a 4.48 at 6’5 might have pushed him to #1

3) maybe he didn’t really care about showing how fast he really runs

If I had to guess, based on his form, he didn’t train for the 40 much.

Rather he focused more on actual quarterbacking since that was his “weakness.” And he wowed from that standpoint at the combine.

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

If I had to guess, based on his form, he didn’t train for the 40 much.

Rather he focused more on actual quarterbacking since that was his “weakness.” And he wowed from that standpoint at the combine.

But that wouldn’t account for why he runs so naturally in game and so robotic in shorts...

youd think he’d still be fluid if he tried 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

But that wouldn’t account for why he runs so naturally in game and so robotic in shorts...

youd think he’d still be fluid if he tried 

I’ll even buy that he got in his own head somehow but find it incredibly improbable that he intentionally blew the 40 putting up a lesser measurable intentionally