Postgame thread: Bills 24 Jags 21

BuffAlone

4 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Uh he had 2 TDs and over 100 yards rushing against the Jets. What game you thinking of?

Goes down all the time? Dude he never shed tackles. He always been a elusive, multi-cut back who made people miss cleanly. That’s like, his whole game man. He was stood up at the line all day today because the run blocking was poor (against JAX’s front 7, that’s understandable.)

That was my point: Ivory and Murphy would hit those miniscule holes and at least not lose the yardage that McCoy loses trying to dance around behind the line of scrimmage. I don't think McCoy is necessarily done (though he's getting closer) but he definitely could not run against the Jags' front seven. 

1 minute ago, Dr. K said:

That was my point: Ivory and Murphy would hit those miniscule holes and at least not lose the yardage that McCoy loses trying to dance around behind the line of scrimmage. I don't think McCoy is necessarily done (though he's getting closer) but he definitely could not run against the Jags' front seven. 

He’s close-ish to the end, sure. But he can still play at a high level. You can criticize his running style if you want but he is what he’s always been. It was a tough task for the O line today and they didn’t do great; fine. Open up just a little bit more daylight for Shady and he’ll still produce. I personally don’t care about Ivory squeezing out 2-3 more yards on off-tackle runs. Leaning on plays like that isn’t a recipe for success anyways.

2 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

This game could very well be the pivot point when the term “trusting the process” was no longer seen as a joke. This team is coming together.

The last time I saw the Bills-Jags was 20 years ago when Flutie pulled off a last second TD. Allen didn’t need last minute heroics, but I think this is his and the team’s turning point as well. Fun game to experience. 

McCoy: "He Brings that Extra Spark" (1:52)

Bills RB LeSean McCoy spoke to the media following the team's win against the Jags. McCoy discussed what it was like to have Josh Allen back at quarterback and what kind of contribution he brings to the offense.

Lorenzo Alexander: "I Can't Wait to Get Out There and Compete Against These Guys" (2:19)

Bills Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander spoke with the media about the upcoming Week 12 matchup with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Top 3 things we learned from Bills-Jaguars

wm1bkiahtnk90sjc6noy.png

1 - Josh Allen emerging

2 – Scuffle turned tide for Bills

3 – A true deep threat for Bills?

As usual the NFL almost ruined a good old fashioned snoberknocker game with an overabundance of flags.  This league needs to sort out the officiating before they strangle the goose laying all those golden eggs.  My takes from the game:

*  The defense was both great and bad today.  On the positive side the goal line stand was huge and the 2 INT's and a couple of 3 & outs showed folks why this defense is one of the best in the NFL.  On the negative side the Bills were manhandled up front in the 2nd quarter as the Jags ran it down their throat.  In today's game the Buffalo offense didn't disappear in the 2nd quarter after exploding out to a 14 - 0 1st quarter lead - they simply didn't get many opportunities as the Jags held the ball most of the quarter.

*  Josh Allen had a very good game.  He didn't show any rust and his game today is an example of why stats can be misleading.  The TD pass was one of the best throws I've seen any Bills QB make.  This was the play that showed why the Bills took Allen and why some scouts thought Allen had the most upside of any of the rookie QB's.  Keep in mind had the Bills not committed penalties on 2 straight 3rd down conversions that Allen made (3r & 5 great roll out throw & 3rd & 15 great pocket pass for a 1st down) in the 2nd quarter the Bills would have got at least a FG on that drive.  And lets not forget the beautiful 35 yard pass that Allen threw that was dropped.  That also was a drive that likely would have gone for at least a FG.

*  It seemed to me that the game has slowed down for Allen.  Those on this thread who said he still struggled in the pocket are flat out wrong.  I thought Allen's pocket presence was outstanding today as he moved very well and kept his eyes down field.  Except for maybe 3 passes his throws were on target or smart throw away's to avoid the sack.  To be honest the pass protection was  not great today and Allen's mobility allowed the Bills to avoid several sacks.  My other take-away is that Allen has that IT factor.  The way he interacts with his teammates and how they respond to him is clear to see.  No pouting like Rosen with this guy.  He is hard nosed and tough.  

*  As far as Allen's running goes - this is who he is.  It will always be a big part of his game.  In this way he resembles Cam Newton and while an injury is always possible Allen's legs are a big part of why he will soon emerge as a serious dual threat QB.  Think about his 2 big runs today.  The first was the TD run.  It's not easy for this team to score red zone TD's and that 14 yard TD run was a thing of beauty.  His 45 yard run in the 4th flipped the field big time and contributed to the win.  If anything I want to see them use the read option more with Allen & McCoy, much like Carolina uses it with McCaffrey & Newton. 

*  Notice how some of the western NY sports writers have been lukewarm about Allen's performance today.  Mostly the usual suspects who went in thinking they were going to write Allen's obituary and instead had to begrudgingly acknowledge that he exceeded expectations.  I don't get it.  From the very beginning some of these guys have acted like drafting Allen was a personal affront.  The kid seems to be perfect for Buffalo as he truly likes the city, the fans and his opportunity to play for the Bills. 

*  I thought that the offensive game plan was very well constructed.  Sure the Bills got to conservative once they had the lead but that's how this team is built. 

*  The Bills need to do something about the penalties.  To cancel out back to back 3rd & long conversions is simply unacceptable.  And having to many guys on the field on a punt giving the Jags a 1st down is beyond stupid.  They need to clean this up ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5