Who’s the genius here thatcalled for Jim harbaugh for HC?

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Probably not for long, he seems to wear people out and bounce around. He does win a lot, in a lot of different places. Didn’t have his guys ready today, though. 

Think he's better suited for college as the roster turns over every four years.  Even then he struggles with people it seems

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So Gene Chizik > than Jim Harbaugh?

Plenty of less than great coaches win championships.

That is not what I said. I think Jim Harbaugh is a very good coach. But one who won't win a Championship... for all his many skills he lacks a few of the key ones to win the biggest games. He is too emotional, too intense and lacks flexibility. 

I see him more as a Marty Schottenheimer type. He can take struggling teams and through his force of will and personality and no little ability make them competitive almost immediately. 

Edited by GunnerBill

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is not what I said. I think Jim Harbaugh is a very good coach. But one who won't win a Championship... for all his many skills he lacks a few of the key ones to win the biggest games. He is too emotional, too intense and lacks flexibility. 

I see him more as a Marty Schottenheimer type. He can take struggling teams and through his force of will and personality and no little ability make them competitive almost immediately. 

98% of winning a BCS title is recruiting and hiring personnel.............that's why coaches like Chizik and Les Miles and Larry Coker who aren't very good can even get in position to win titles.

And nobody is more emotional/intense in a championship setting than Nick Saban...........holy sh*t I thought he was going to die on the field against Georgia last year.?

As for the flexibility.........Alex Smith to Kaepernick........DURING the season and was thisclose to a win in the SB.

I think that's enough evidence to suggest your reasoning is very flawed but I will leave it at that..........it's pretty easy to predict a QB or WR won't ever win a championship when their current odds are long.  

We usually hear about those takes when their team is in the victory formation and the coach is getting gatorade dumped on them. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As for the flexibility.........Alex Smith to Kaepernick........DURING the season and was thisclose to a win in the SB. 

I don't mean tactically inflexible. His personality is entirely. He has one setting - hyper intense. He can't adjust. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

The dude has a losing record to The Ohio State University.  If he can get a team up for that, how could he be good in the NFL?

Because he took a team to the Superbowl already and has an excellent win percentage already in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

A few weeks ago some yahoo brought up the idea of firing McDermott and then offering Jim harbaugh whatever it takes to leave Michigan. It was easily one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read here and today proves it. Worst big-game coach since marv levy.

I'd much rather have Jim Harbaugh than McDermott... You'd be crazy if you wouldn't.

Regardless of his "big game" W/L record, he at least puts his team in position to play in big & meaningful games, unlike anything any of our coaches have done for over 2 decades.

Yes, those 49er's were great before him, and great after him. Alex Smith was a having a hell of a career before he got there. Going to the Super Bowl must suck...and losing by only 31-34 is an embarrassment! 

Let's go over how awful he was everywhere else too!

*****************************DON'T READ FURTHER UNLESS YOU WANT TO READ ABOUT HARBAUGH'S SUCCESS***********************************

-Stanford: Prior to Harbaugh, the last 2 coaches went 10-23 (5-19 in conference) & 6-17 (5-12 in conference). They finished 9th, 8th, 8th, 4th (tied), and 10th in Pac-10 the 5 seasons before he arrived. After he arrived, they finished 7th, 6th, 2nd (tied) and 2nd including a W/L record of 29-21 overall (21-15 in conference), and an Orange Bowl win his final 12-1 season. Stanford finished ranked 4th overall in the AP & BCS rankings. (Summary: doubled yearly win total from 3.2 to 7.25, a 125% increase; Major Bowl win, Stanford's highest ranking ever to that point, and best 12 win season in school history)

-49ers: Prior to Harbaugh, the 49ers hadn't made the playoffs in 8 straight years, with a combined record of 46-82, averaging 5.75 wins a year. They finished with a losing record in 7 of 8 seasons, with their best record being 8-8 in 2009. Alex Smith was long labeled a bust, but we'll get back to that. Then in 2011, the 49ers go 13-3 in Harbaugh's first season as the 49ers' HC...hell, his first season as an NFL head coach. Not only does he end their 8 year playoff drought, they make it all the way to the NFC Championship game, only losing by 17-20 in OT against eventual Super Bowl winners the NY Giants. The next year, they once again finish 1st in their division, only this time they become Conference Champs, make the SB, and eventually lose by a FG. In 2013, they go 12-4, make the NFC Championship game again, but lose to eventual SB Champs Seahawks.

The following year they go 8-8, with a ton of drama surrounding the GM hating him, the owner sided with GM Baalke & fired Harbaugh. A couple years later, the 49ers fired Baalke & his pick for HC Chip Kelly. Post Harbaugh, the 49ers finished dead last in their division every single year, averaging 4.3 wins a season, going through 3 coaches. (Summary: Record goes from 46-82 pre-Harbaugh, no winning seasons, to 44-19-1 with Harbaugh, to 15-43 post-Harbaugh. Went from averaging 11 wins a year with him, to 3.75 without. Went to 3 straight NFC Championship games & 1 Super Bowl with him, had 0 wining seasons & no playoffs in 12 years before & after him)

-Alex Smith: Prior to Harbaugh, Smith had already been labeled a bust. After an abysmal rookie season where Smith went 2-5 as a starter, throwing 1 TD to 11 INT's, and being repeatedly benched. The following year, Smith showed some improvement, but was still mediocre at best, throwing 16 TD's & 16 INT's, 58% completions & 7-9 record. In 2007, Smith played poorly again, doing even worse in some areas, posting a 2-5 record. Out of all QB's that year, only Kellen Clemens had a lower Passer Rating than Smith, who only completed 48% of his passes. Though he got hurt & missed 3 games, he eventually got benched, then put on IR near the end of the year. In 2008, Smith was considered such a bust, he had to enter training camp in a 3-way QB competition between backup Shaun Hill & J.T. O'Sullivan...eventually LOSING to O'Sullivan! Smith was later on told to undergo surgery again, placed on IR, and was expected to be released (and likely out of the league) before the 2009 season. Smith agrees to take a paycut from $25 million the next to years to $8 million over 2 years, new HC wants him to stay on, Smith loses QB competition again, this time to Shaun Hill. Smith replaced Hill 7 games in, went 5-5...his best mediocre play in his career. In 2010, Smith was named the starter, then promptly bombed. Each game he came out to boos, got hurt after going 0-5, then came back & still sucked, getting his HC fired in the process.

***BUT THEN*** Harbaugh gets hired, resigns Smith, and Smith has his best season ever BY FAR, then carrying that over the next year until he got hurt & replaced with Kap. Still, Smith went 19-5-1 under Harbaugh after only winning 19 of 50 career starts in the 6 years prior. Smith goes on to the Chiefs, and eventually becomes known as one of the  most consistent, higher level game managers in the league. (Summary: Smith was a bust & nearly cut, lost 2 QB competitions, then became an upper-tier QB & playoff/Pro-Bowl Caliber starter after Harbaugh) 

-Michigan: Pre-Harbaugh, they went 46-42 in 7 seasons, including regressing in 3 straight seasons. They were 5-7 in 2014, then in Harbaugh's first year jumped to 10-3. With Harbaugh as HC, they have gone 38-13, and have finished the season ranked in the top 12 two out of three times, with this year certainly to be a third time even with today's loss. Yes, not beating Ohio State is a big deal, but his team is significantly improved this year, and are better off with him than without. (Summary: 0.745 win % with Harbaugh, 0.522 win % the 7 years prior to Harbaugh).

***************************************************************************************************************************************

Point being, he's SIGNIFICANTLY improved every team he's coached, and has had tremendous success. Most impressively, he was always able to do it FAST, and get the best out of people immediately. Compare that to other coaches who can have years & years and never get anywhere, or all the people who claim teams need to slow improvement over several years before any expectations to win. Harbaugh comes in & turns those teams into winners, and when he leaves, there's a sharp & dramatic dropoff. If it's so easy to do, why have no Bills coaches been able to do the same thing in 20+ years? Why do other teams give coaches like Jason Garret 5-10 years and never get anywhere if anyone can do it? 

They can't, and Harbaugh knows how coach & get people to buy in. He's also good at maximizing people's talents & getting production out of people others are ready to dismiss. If anyone could get the no-name talent & role player roster we've assembled to punch above their weight class, there's no doubt Jim Harbaugh would be the one to do it. And I'm not even campaigning for him to be our HC, nor do I want McDermott fired, I just think this thread & the knee jerk "I told ya so" while ignoring his entire body of work is completely moronic and wreaks of ignorance.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1