Comments about Nathan Peterman being a "good guy"

16 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Faith is brought up too much talking about the Bills (or is it just Nate).  Is this a fact or not (very serious)?

"Faith based leader" too gives me reason to pause.

it's only brought up by fans trying to create an issue where there isn't one.  i don't care if someone has "faith" or not, but to assume it's how this staff picks it's team is just absurd.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

On the radio—whether it be Sal Capacchio, Steve Tasker, Bulldog, or guests on various shows—we often hear Nathan Peterman described as a "good guy," and it closely follows that he is a "person of faith." Why is being a person of faith synonymous with being a good guy? Is the implication that NOT being a person of faith makes one less of a good guy?

Does Nathan Peterman's individual religious choice make him a "good guy" in our society? Does this speak to a societal bias towards Christianity?

There might be a bit of bias. But this is for obvious reasons. The great majority of people in this country, and logically, football fans are Christian. Also, Christianity is based a lot on being a good person, e.g. Sermon on the mount, Golden rule, etc. Therefore, if one claims to be of firm Christian faith, we generally view these people as being good guys, since we are also Christian (we project).

Lets complicate this a bit. Does race play a role? Some of the worst or "bad guy" characters in the NFL (Owens, Ray Lewis, Cam Newton, Marshawn Lynch) also claim strong Christian faith, but are never perceived as "good guys". 

Personally, I think it is a combination of faith, race, and general congenial demeanor. There is a romanticized collective vision of the "good guy" that has never been historically associated with anything bad or evil. It's an archetype. White, Christian, Protestant, honest, loyal, hard-working, family oriented, articulate, neighborly, duty, etc.  Peterman and McDermott both epitomize this archetype. 

It reminds me of an old Onion article:

Pro Athlete Lauded For Being Decent Human Being

See the connection to race in this satirical article?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He didn't look like a "good guy" yesterday sulking on the sideline shooting daggers at Barkley. You really think you deserved another chance bro?

I had alot of respect for him as a person even though he was a historically awful QB that didn't belong in the NFL. Not anymore.

I'm NO fan of Allen, but he's been upbeat and positive towards the team even when he's on the sideline.

3 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

There might be a bit of bias. But this is for obvious reasons. The great majority of people in this country, and logically, football fans are Christian. Also, Christianity is based a lot on being a good person, e.g. Sermon on the mount, Golden rule, etc. Therefore, if one claims to be of firm Christian faith, we generally view these people as being good guys, since we are also Christian (we project).

Lets complicate this a bit. Does race play a role? Some of the worst or "bad guy" characters in the NFL (Owens, Ray Lewis, Cam Newton, Marshawn Lynch) also claim strong Christian faith, but are never perceived as "good guys". 

Personally, I think it is a combination of faith, race, and general congenial demeanor. There is a romanticized collective vision of the "good guy" that has never been historically associated with anything bad or evil. It's an archetype. White, Christian, Protestant, honest, loyal, hard-working, family oriented, articulate, neighborly, duty, etc.  Peterman and McDermott both epitomize this archetype. 

It reminds me of an old Onion article:

Pro Athlete Lauded For Being Decent Human Being

See the connection to race in this satirical article?

Very well put, and I totally agree that it's a combination of all of those things. 

But I think people confuse the part of that being off-putting with being "atheists" or for hating on people who are religious, when to me that's not it at all. It's more of taking a shot at that bias that's being showed to someone when they're seen as one of their own. 

I mentioned earlier in this post that when Robert Foster was dropping balls for the majority of his time here before yesterday and when Phillip Gaines was getting torched, there was no rush to their defense by people trying to point out any character attributes. But it's there in almost every single Peterman thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Take you're rebellious college attitude to a political forum. Someday you'll learn that whether you agree or not that people are allowed to believe in a higher being.

But yours is OK here? Mankind will never learn. "Rebellious college attitude... "....hummmm, and then claim, never mind, it would be lost anyway.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Stop trying to stir up *****.  The people who say he is a good guy obviously believe it and respect him.  If they further believe that this true because he is a person of faith that is also their opinion.

STOP trying to take individual peoples opinion and apply it all.   STOP trying to create a problem on a sports board.  Are you just trying to turn this into a white, male, Christian thing?  Don't you get enough of this kind of stupid talk from the mass media news and now you have to bring it to the Bills board?    

Sensible people know people of other races and faiths that are great people too.   Grow up and think for yourself.  

This here is pretty much the problem and why threads like this exist. If someone shares a thought of yours, it's just their opinion and they are apparently entitled to it without question. If they don't, they need to "stop creating problems". This was a civil post that simply brought up a topic and asked the question. 

Take a look in the mirror if you need to see someone who needs to grow up. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

I'm not religious, but remember clearly when Norwood lined up that 1990 kick and players kneeling in prayer (others holding hands).  Didn't help.....

It is very difficult to debate and believe me, when I say I feel bad for Peterm an, but he was put into way too many postions he had no right or ability to be in and one wonders over and over as to what went into those decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

He didn't look like a "good guy" yesterday sulking on the sideline shooting daggers at Barkley. You really think you deserved another chance bro?

I had alot of respect for him as a person even though he was a historically awful QB that didn't belong in the NFL. Not anymore.

I'm NO fan of Allen, but he's been upbeat and positive towards the team even when he's on the sideline.

I won't use it to say whether he's a good human being or not...but I definitely have questions as to whether Peterman is a good teammate or not.

That Hail Mary play last week where he took off running out of bounds was one of the most gutless plays I've ever seen in the NFL. Did he think someone was going to be wide open on that play? There's a reason why it's called a Hail Mary.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's smarter than that. However...that lends to the very good possibility that he didn't want to risk another interception being on his stat sheet. That he didn't want to risk having an interception in his name even if the reward could have been helping out his team, no matter how small the percentage was for that to happen.

That doesn't sound like a very good teammate. Really, it doesn't even sound like the Christian thing to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I won't use it to say whether he's a good human being or not...but I definitely have questions as to whether Peterman is a good teammate or not.

That Hail Mary play last week where he took off running out of bounds was one of the most gutless plays I've ever seen in the NFL. Did he think someone was going to be wide open on that play? There's a reason why it's called a Hail Mary.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's smarter than that. However...that lends to the very good possibility that he didn't want to risk another interception being on his stat sheet. That he didn't want to risk having an interception in his name even if the reward could have been helping out his team, no matter how small the percentage was for that to happen.

That doesn't sound like a very good teammate. Really, it doesn't even sound like the Christian thing to do. 

The hail mary is another great example of putting self above team.

I don't have a degree in body language, but I did not like what I saw from him on the sidelines yesterday.

It's a rather moot point because he'll be gone, but there's some evidence that he's a piss poor teammate. 

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Is that what Peterman was doing? 

I had wondered that when Allen was starting, I never saw Peterman sitting next to him when the D was out there going over the pictures.  That could mean nothing of course.  Maybe Allen prefers to have his space and he's discussing the film shots with Daboll.

Or it could mean, maybe Peterman isn't always the good teammate his "good guy" rep would suppose.

For some people, their religious faith comes across as a big part of their personality.

Lots of NFL players may be Christians, but not everyone talks about it openly or wears it on their sleeve.

Drew Brees (for example) is a devout Christian.  But it's not something he is instantly recognized for publicly - at least compared to someone like Tim Tebow or Reggie White.

I get the impression that Nathan Peterman's faith is something that also stands-out strongly whenever people get to know him.  Similar to how Kyle Williams is recognized for his hard-work and leadership, or Ryan Fitzpatrick was recognized for his fun/goofball personality.

In terms of "bias" towards Christianity, I find it odd how much Sean McDermott gets criticized for seeking out high-character players.  It's something that literally 90% of coaches, general managers and scouts around the NFL cite as important factors in evaluating prospects.  Our staff has never remotely hinted that a person needed to be a Christian to be on this roster, or that anyone with off-field issues is not welcome.  They stuck by LeSean McCoy this offseason.  They stuck by Zay Jones this offseason.  And they tried bringing back Ritchie Incognito.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is that what Peterman was doing? 

I had wondered that when Allen was starting, I never saw Peterman sitting next to him when the D was out there going over the pictures.  That could mean nothing of course.  Maybe Allen prefers to have his space and he's discussing the film shots with Daboll.

Or it could mean, maybe Peterman isn't always the good teammate his "good guy" rep would suppose.

I noticed THAT as well. Never being around Allen when he came off the field. There is quite a bit of speculation involved in this as we don't really know what's going on inside the room, but the body language yesterday was pretty obvious to my untrained eye.

I get it. You're upset. It's gotta be frustrating. That doesn't excuse being a poor teammate. You suck it up and support your teammates at the very least. 

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I noticed THAT as well. Never being around Allen when he came off the field. There is quite a bit of speculation involved in this as we don't really know what's going on inside the room, but the body language yesterday was pretty obvious to my untrained eye.

I get it. You're upset. It's gotta be frustrating. That doesn't excuse being a poor teammate. You suck it up and support your teammates at the very least. 

Highly speculative surmise. Not good if true, though it doesn't square with the general assessment of his teammates that he is in fact a good guy. In any event, the fella has to be gonzo in the near future, so it wouldn't appear to matter much.

33 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This here is pretty much the problem and why threads like this exist. If someone shares a thought of yours, it's just their opinion and they are apparently entitled to it without question. If they don't, they need to "stop creating problems". This was a civil post that simply brought up a topic and asked the question. 

Take a look in the mirror if you need to see someone who needs to grow up. 

I can tell you my response has nothing to do with someone "sharing a thought" that I agree with or not.    I has more to do with introducing an idea that a bias exists and in turn project another bias.  

We are inundated with political stuff in our day to day lives, it would be nice to keep football out of it, but I do think I reacted stronger than I normally would do in case.

4 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Take you're rebellious college attitude to a political forum. Someday you'll learn that whether you agree or not that people are allowed to believe in a higher being.

People are also allowed to  question if the Bills HC/GM use irrelevant criteria (like a player having certain religious views) in evaluating players without being insulted and bullied ("Take you're rebellious college attitude to a political forum.") by arrogant individuals who dislike the idea that others don't think just like they think they should.

• Like (+1) 1