College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

14 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I actually saw more of it than previous years.

Great tourney, lots of surprises (Duke, Gonzaga, NC, et al). Sure screwed up lots of folks brackets!

Auburn over UVA would’ve been another great upset!

Don’t know how the official missed that double dribble, and no one from Auburn called ‘em out.

Our son was here, and he was a tough, heady PG. Our doors are open (welcome, spring!!!) and our neighbors knew SOMETHING had happened when that went down. 

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

Beacause Xavier missed it for like the 2nd time in 14 years, I was in a funk and never got my bracket done. No loss, it’s usually shattered in the first 48 hours!

We were in Asheville, NC for fun the first weekend, then I joined my wife who was working in NYC the next. That was all wonderful, but I missed 90% of the greatest tournament on earth. Soon I’ll focus on the Masters. Had the pleasure of attending a couple years ago, and now I more fully appreciate the grandeur of that part of the planet. WOW! TV does not convey the crazy topography. 

It’s on my bucket list, but I don’t know that I’d be able to follow the players around the course for four days.

It sure looked beautiful this week  for the Augusta Women’s National Amatuer tourney.

2 minutes ago, The Senator said:

It’s on my bucket list, but I don’t know that I’d be able to follow the players around the course for four days.

It sure looked beautiful this week  for the Augusta Women’s National Amatuer tourney.

I used to live on the Harbour Town course (the week after the Masters every year in Hilton Head). Following players around is overrated. And 4 days is WAY too much. It’s best seen on TV. UNLESS it’s the Masters. You don’t need 4 days, I’d rather go for a practice round or the women’s tournament than a Sunday at the Masters. 

Augusta National is a national treasure, and I’d rather see it without so many people around blocking my view. I forget which hole, but maybe #8? Anyway, the approach shot from the perfectly manicured fairway was to a green approx 90 feet above where we stood. That’s like trying to hit a ball onto the roof of a NINE STORY building in front of you. I’d watched it on TV for decades. TV cannot convey that. Just seeing the topography and the beauty was amazing. 

My wife mentioned today face value of the passes is $500, but they go on the secondary market for $3-5k per DAY! Once is grand, and I’ll forever feel fortunate to have done that. (On the bright side, snacks and drinks are dirt cheap!) 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I used to live on the Harbour Town course (the week after the Masters every year in Hilton Head). Following players around is overrated. And 4 days is WAY too much. It’s best seen on TV. UNLESS it’s the Masters. You don’t need 4 days, I’d rather go for a practice round or the women’s tournament than a Sunday at the Masters. 

Augusta National is a national treasure, and I’d rather see it without so many people around blocking my view. I forget which hole, but maybe #8? Anyway, the approach shot from the perfectly manicured fairway was to a green approx 90 feet above where we stood. That’s like trying to hit a ball onto the roof of a NINE STORY building in front of you. I’d watched it on TV for decades. TV cannot convey that. Just seeing the topography and the beauty was amazing. 

My wife mentioned today face value of the passes is $500, but they go on the secondary market for $3-5k per DAY! Once is grand, and I’ll forever feel fortunate to have done that. (On the bright side, snacks and drinks are dirt cheap!) 

Can’t imagine what hotels cost.  Guess I’ll be glued to my TV!

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

Can’t imagine what hotels cost.  Guess I’ll be glued to my TV!

We got passes that get passed down for generations. My wife’s mother’s family friends couldn’t make one Thursday. My BIL had to drive to Columbia, SC to drop off the passes, then back the Greenville, SC after the golf so they could use them Friday. It was worth it! If you get caught with a phone on property, not only are you ejected, but the lanyard pass is confiscated, so our benefactors get screwed. No messing around! 

I’m not even sure what kind of hotels they have. It’s in the middle of BF Egypt. They have a Hooters (where John Daly was drinking and putting on an impromptu course for money) and a few other restaurants. We drove round trip from Atlanta. 

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who does everyone have tonight? 9:20 tip in the east is brutal for a Monday (cuz I’m old)

My Hoos of course.

If they can play close to as sell as they did in the regular conference season, they should be fine.

Ty Gerome is the key.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who does everyone have tonight? 9:20 tip in the east is brutal for a Monday (cuz I’m old)

I got tired just reading that. I’ll take UVA......and the under. Whatever that number is. 

So if you’re betting with real money, take TT and the over. 

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jesus Christ that's ridiculous.  I don't even care who wins; either team is a good story (and 1st championship).

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Same here....will have to leave work early to be home for the tip!

Gotta root for TT;  the way they play defense is special.  Plus, UVA is full of pretenious a-holes.  And they should have already lost twice!

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Plus, UVA is full of pretenious a-holes.  And they should have already lost twice!

You are absolutely, totally, dead wrong.

I am very familiar with this program and these kids.

They are the least "pretentious" group in the ACC, and if you don't know that, you are not aware of what goes on at UNC or Duke.

It is a great program, run by a great coach, and full of great kids.

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Playing against Texas Tech's defense is a nightmare.  Virginia may well meet their match (other than Duke).  What I don't understand is how TT lost 6 games this year.

They are crazy good on D, and it’s historically been a UVA strength. Just looked and the over/under is 118-119. I knew it would be low. Glad I don’t bet (except on a horse named Shady, but I blame @plenzmd1 for that!). If @mead107 was a better human being he might have warned me about the historical results, but I don’t blame him. I may still owe Plenz a beer or five..... But I digress.......

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

They are crazy good on D, and it’s historically been a UVA strength. Just looked and the over/under is 118-119. I knew it would be low. Glad I don’t bet (except on a horse named Shady, but I blame @plenzmd1 for that!). If @mead107 was a better human being he might have warned me about the historical results, but I don’t blame him. I may still owe Plenz a beer or five..... But I digress.......

A dozen beers

27 minutes ago, sherpa said:

You are absolutely, totally, dead wrong.

I am very familiar with this program and these kids.

They are the least "pretentious" group in the ACC, and if you don't know that, you are not aware of what goes on at UNC or Duke.

It is a great program, run by a great coach, and full of great kids.

I meant UVA people in general.....and yes I know that Duke are the kings of pretentious a-holes.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I meant UVA people in general.....and yes I know that Duke are the kings of pretentious a-holes.

I dunno..living in Richmond and hearing about the Un-I -Versity from areholes who think it is a birthright...i think you dead on. Next time I hear a hear sentence"start  Mr. Jefferson thought XXXX" I may just lose it.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

PBR? I hear that’s hip now, and Plenz is one of those young guys. 

PBR is for douche bag hipster,s i am way cooler and drink Genny Cream ale for $7.99 a 15 pack!!!!

• Haha (+1) 2