Is the CFP ranking process flawed?

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Interesting. I never even considered the possibility that Bama has a bigger fan base than Notre Dame. Not ever.

I see at least 10 Notre Dame shirts, hats, or jackets to every 1 that says  Alabama. I would think that this would be the case in 48 other states, even down south whereas each SEC school has its own fan base.

ND's national base is nothing compared to what it was up to the early 1990s

the 0 or 1 loss champion of the SEC has a permanent spot in the final 4 playoff structure of college football, that's not even up for discussion.

putting a second SEC team in or having to ignore the winner of the SEC title game adds a wrinkle on occasion

there better not be a serious fan of NCAA F arguing Bama doesn't deserve the top spot if it runs the table, maybe a slight argument to make if they lose to Georgia.

43 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

How about 6 with the top 2 teams that played in a conference championship game getting the byes?

Go back to two and if there is a third undefeated have a game between 2nd and 3rd to get to the final

this season you have three potential undefeated and none of the other teams deserves a playoff spot

Edited by row_33

46 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

How about 6 with the top 2 teams that played in a conference championship game getting the byes?

Maybe. I just think you will have even more arguing about who should get in with 8 teams. You start letting in 2 loss and 3 loss teams,  and it muddies it even further. I just don’t there are 8 teams who reasonably could win the title most seasons. I would maybe advocate for 6, with one of them being a non power 5. The best non power 5 gets a bid.

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Keep it at 4.

I agree and do however think that expanded playoffs in general would favor teams with:

1) The most depth.

2) The best coach.

This would (imo) give an edge to Alabama and Ohio State. Again, what bothers me the most about expansion is the additional games. In fact, I wish they would abolish conference championship games even without expansion.

Again, jmo.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe. I just think you will have even more arguing about who should get in with 8 teams. You start letting in 2 loss and 3 loss teams,  and it muddies it even further. I just don’t there are 8 teams who reasonably could win the title most seasons. I would maybe advocate for 6, with one of them being a non power 5. The best non power 5 gets a bid.

no interest in watching #1 Bama sodomize and pillage the #8 team

#8???  a 4-loss team, are you ***** kidding me?

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree and do however think that expanded playoffs in general would favor teams with:

1) The most depth.

2) The best coach.

This would (imo) give an edge to Alabama and Ohio State. Again, what bothers me the most about expansion is the additional games. In fact, I wish they would abolish conference championship games even without expansion.

Again, jmo.

Dan Wetzel was just on the Dan Patrick show talking about this and it makes sense. The conference championship games this weekend are largely pointless. Instead of osu- northwestern we should have osu-Oklahoma. Crown the conf champion who has the best record instead. And play the game that weekend that actually will determine the playoff instead of saying osu has to beat northwestern by 59 to get in or something. 

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dan Wetzel was just on the Dan Patrick show talking about this and it makes sense. The conference championship games this weekend are largely pointless. Instead of osu- northwestern we should have osu-Oklahoma. Crown the conf champion who has the best record instead. And play the game that weekend that actually will determine the playoff instead of saying osu has to beat northwestern by 59 to get in or something. 

metaphysically, what is the aim of avoiding pointlessness in watching kids play football?

enough already, start cultivating a real life, you don't need 15 more college playoffs games, of which most extra ones will be TOTAL BLOWOUTS

I believe it is.  I am a long time Penn State fan and I am still burning about them not making the final four a couple of years ago when the beat the Buckeyes and then got passed over by THE Ohio State.  The results on the field should determine who is in the playoffs. (I know, I may just be bitter).

It seams that the committee bends over backwards to get them into the final four.

today's announcement will be interesting.  To me, it is clear that the Sooners should be the fourth playoff team.

There is still an argument that Georgia could still be in the playoffs.  I know this won't happen, but they may be one of the best teams this year

10 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I believe it is.  I am a long time Penn State fan and I am still burning about them not making the final four a couple of years ago when the beat the Buckeyes and then got passed over by THE Ohio State.  The results on the field should determine who is in the playoffs. (I know, I may just be bitter).

It seams that the committee bends over backwards to get them into the final four.

today's announcement will be interesting.  To me, it is clear that the Sooners should be the fourth playoff team.

There is still an argument that Georgia could still be in the playoffs.  I know this won't happen, but they may be one of the best teams this year

This still? They had 2 losses! One was a blowout. Can’t get in with two losses. The same thing happened to osu last year who was a 2 loss conf champ. Head to head and conf champ tiebreakers only matter in their criteria when there is a tie. There wasn’t.

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This still? They had 2 losses! One was a blowout. Can’t get in with two losses. The same thing happened to osu last year who was a 2 loss conf champ. Head to head and conf champ tiebreakers only matter in their criteria when there is a tie. There wasn’t.

You're right, but it still hurts.  maybe I need professional help to get past this.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Georgia > OK all day.

17 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

We’ll see. There’s no set criteria.

Which is the whole problem.   Having a handful of people arbitrarily decide who the 'best' teams are regardless of what they did on the field is beyond asinine.   No other sport operates this way, for good reason.

That people even attempted to make a argument for Georgia highlights how ridiculous this has become. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/4/2018 at 7:41 AM, KD in CA said:

Yes.  Unless of course you're Alabama, in which case you should be given an automatic bid even if you finish 3d in your conference because you're still the 'best' team.

Thats what’s wrong with college football. It takes the excitement out of it. I don’t care who the most talented team is, wins and upsets matter. If you lose your championship there should not be a talent judge that can give you a second chance. 

It is also really hard to beat any talented team twice (see the NFL), so if you beat Bama in a championship game you shouldn’t have to face them again.

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Which is the whole problem.   Having a handful of people arbitrarily decide who the 'best' teams are regardless of what they did on the field is beyond asinine.   No other sport operates this way, for good reason.

That people even attempted to make a argument for Georgia highlights how ridiculous this has become. 

Haha that’s the best part. I think Georgia is a no brainer. The #4 team losing to the #1 team by a touchdown means they are no worse than the #4 team in country, IMO.

30 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

No, but with so many one loss teams, I can't see the committee voting the Bulldogs in.

Travesty.

41 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

We’ll see. There’s no set criteria.

They have never let in a 2 loss team and it’s not a precedent I think they want to set unless they have no choice 

24 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

They lost by 20 to a team that struggled offensively all year,  and then gagged a 2 TD lead to a team who was playing their backup qb. What is even their best win? They had their playoff game and it was yesterday. They lost. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have never let in a 2 loss team and it’s not a precedent I think they want to set unless they have no choice 

The criteria is “the four best teams in the nation.” 2 losses be damned. 

OK will lose by 28. 

Edited by BringBackOrton

9 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The criteria is “the four best teams in the nation.” 2 losses be damned. 

OK will lose by 28. 

We don’t know who the 4 best are. Or what their criteria is. They don’t really have any, other than don’t lose more than 1 game. UGA didn’t look like one of them to me, anyway. They lost their two biggest games. 4 of their wins were against middle Tennessee state, Samford, Austin peay and Umass. Who have they beaten that is good? They lost to osu’s Backup an who transferred to LSU and bama’s backup QB. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We don’t know who the 4 best are. Or what their criteria is. They don’t really have any, other than don’t lose more than 1 game. UGA didn’t look like one of them to me, anyway. They lost their two biggest games. 4 of their wins were against middle Tennessee state, Samford, Austin peay and Umass. Who have they beaten that is good? They lost to osu’s Backup an who transferred to LSU and bama’s backup QB. 

Bama’s backup QB fielded the #1 team in the country for 2 years, and lost one game as a starter in his career.

Georgia will be the only team to be within 7 points against Bama this year. Everyone else in the CFB will get trampled.

21 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Bama’s backup QB fielded the #1 team in the country for 2 years, and lost one game as a starter in his career.

Georgia will be the only team to be within 7 points against Bama this year. Everyone else in the CFB will get trampled.

They lost to then twice in 11 months. Time to move on.  Also you are putting too much stock in Bama as if a close loss is like a win. I think Clemson is better and will win the title. Jmo

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think the committee got it right, though I wouldn't have argued much about Ohio St. over OU. At the end of the day OU avenged their only loss against Texas. Ohio St. can score with anyone as well. I don't care what people say about Georgia. They lost two games while two other conference champs lost one. If Kirby Smart wasn't the dumb*** who went for a fake punt from the 50, with 3:00 minutes left, in a tie ball game, and with Alabama clearly outplaying them in the 4th quarter then maybe that would have worked out a bit different. 

There are 2 clear-cut best teams..........this system is there for years when there aren't.

Allowing 4 helps if there is a question about who the top 2 are but this year 3 and 4 are really lucky to have the right to play the top 2.

Oklahoma or Georgia were both adequate 4th options.

A team that got blown out by Purdue has no business in this conversation though.

3 hours ago, billspro said:

Thats what’s wrong with college football. It takes the excitement out of it. I don’t care who the most talented team is, wins and upsets matter. If you lose your championship there should not be a talent judge that can give you a second chance. 

It is also really hard to beat any talented team twice (see the NFL), so if you beat Bama in a championship game you shouldn’t have to face them again.

The idea that a team can lose their last game and make a 4 team playoff is absurd.  The only reason for it is money;  the only fan justification of it is either homerism or idiocy.

I guess all the people here arguing for teams who didn't earn it on the field would be happy if the NFL let Roger Goodell just announce who the playoff teams would be based on which ones were 'the best' and not which ones earned it by winning games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The idea that a team can lose their last game and make a 4 team playoff is absurd.  The only reason for it is money;  the only fan justification of it is either homerism or idiocy.

I guess all the people here arguing for teams who didn't earn it on the field would be happy if the NFL let Roger Goodell just announce who the playoff teams would be based on which ones were 'the best' and not which ones earned it by winning games.

Don’t forget, it’s not enough to just win games in CFB. You have to blow them out to impress the committee or it’s considered struggling.  Never mind those kids on the other side are on scholarship too, and highly motivated to win too.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t forget, it’s not enough to just win games in CFB. You have to blow them out to impress the committee or it’s considered struggling.

And apparently it helps if you blow out Middle Tennessee State and West Louisiana A&M and can claim Kentucky as one of your hard games.

Edited by KD in CA

16 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The NFL is not college football, and the comparison is weak.

The NFL has 32 teams split across 2 conferences in 8 total divisions. Everybody plays the exact same number of games.

There is no way to expand the league unless a vote is taken by owners of the current NFL teams.

The NFL controls everything: scheduling, creation of conferences/divisions, etc...

College football at the FBS level has 130 teams across 10 conferences and some independents. About 3 years ago, there were 128.

Not everybody plays the same number of games. (ND only played 12 games, but everybody else in the playoffs played 13).

Any college program can be classified as an FBS level team, as long as the meet the NCAA requirements. The other schools have ZERO say in this.

This year there are 130 FBS teams. Theoretically, there could be 135 next year, 140 the year after, etc....

At any point, independents could come together to create another conference.

Current conferences can shift, as we saw this past decade.

Other than player eligibility,  all control is handled by the individual schools and/conferences until the post season. Independents have to generate their own schedule.

Conferences dictate inter-conference play, and get to decide if the conference will even have a championship game. There is no requirement to have one.

There is no way to make a "fair" playoff system in the FBS when the system itself is fluid and chaotic to begin with.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.