In Defense of McD: are the claims McDermott is building the roster actually substantiated?

Bing Bong

I am starting to find the criticisms of McDermott unfair. Probably not the best source but I see on the board a lot that McDermott is building this roster. 

Then what the hell is Beane doing or getting paid for? Who on Earth let's a former DC rookie HC do that? I just don't believe it (or want to). 

A coaches job is first and foremost to MOTIVATE. Was that not clearly the case last year? Tre White was dancing in between plays, Hyde running over after every great PBU to out of sheer pride for his unit. That's a confident team, a factor that makes middling teams push to the playoffs, Pete Carroll's young Seahawks to win it all.

Secondly he knows his craft, he helps find and employ a terrific defense. We hired a DC to be a HC. This is his job. 

So who's job is it to build the roster, select Coordinators, and support his head coach in his weaknesses? Look at the Rams, McVay doesn't have anything to do with the defense.. because the GM is aware he's an offensive mind, hired the best DC available and loaded McVay's shortcomings on the other side of the ball.

So why are we griping at having a defensive minded coach? He's not building a defense only team, he's part of the puzzle Beane is tasked with to create a complete team on both sides of the ball. Of course many DC's make great HC.. Look at Minnesota, look at Belicheck, look at Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Marvin Lewis, Mike Tomlin. Of course these guys have great offenses because MAYBE they have great GMs that are charged with personnell.

McBeane shouldn't be some multipersonality one person (unless it's Belicheck) of course they have a large input on the team but these guys don't need to be (and shouldn't be) glued at the hip. Our offensive shortcomings are the GM who is mortgaging the offense for next year anyway (whether I like it or not), saddled McD with a questionable OC's career resume and has generally done nothing to support a baby HC tasked with offensive responsibility for once.

I'll give you Peterman, i'll give you that lol smh.. but to summarize, McDermott needs a Wade Phillips of the offense and a GM committed to building around his strengths and supporting his weaknesses.. and McDermott is chained to what he's been given. Mike Tomlin certainly enjoys having an outstanding offense right now.. and he has a phenomenal GM orchestrating that.

If we're writing the book on anyone thus far it's Beane, and as he's really had about 2 years he may deserve some time, but he hasn't done HIS job. Personally I'd like to see McD unchained.. but we're saddled with Beane and let's see where that takes us. But I don't take this regime as one group.. we have a great HC and a GM committed to tanking. Whaley went through his HCs I wouldn't mind McD have a shot with a new GM if this regime doesn't pan out.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Who was responsible for trading McCarron and entering the season with Nasty Nate starting and JA as the only backup with a horrible o line?  That person or persons are doing a really bad job.

I agree. How is not Beane? I get Peterman lol. Why do we oh so firmly believe it? Is that not a horrible idea to give to a 2nd year HC?

18 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Beane is McDermott's servant. He is the GM in Buffalo only b/c McDermott wants him here.

If that changes, Beane will be gone.

It's not uncommon in the NFL for the HC to be higher than the GM on the totem pole.

Sure. But what makes you say that lol. That's the whole point of the post.. why are we saying our GM isn't being a GM

Fellas we all know, Peterman is McDermott's long lost son after a fated one night stand in college that finally approached him before the draft to reveal himself and Beane has let this nonsense go on cause it's so damn heartwarming.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Beane is McDermott's servant. He is the GM in Buffalo only b/c McDermott wants him here.

If that changes, Beane will be gone.

It's not uncommon in the NFL for the HC to be higher than the GM on the totem pole.

Everything you've typed here is incorrect. I realize the futility of trying to explain this on Tantrum Tuesday, but here goes: Fans spread this false narrative simply because the FO was hired backwards. There are interviews that explain the working relationship they had together in Carolina and how they shared the same philosophy. Beane got the McDermott recommendation, and he was hired by Pegula to be his boss. That's it. No conspiracy theories. Sean McDermott does not make the decision whether Beane stays or goes. The fates of the two are 100% interconnected at this point, however.

And yes, it is extremely uncommon for the HC to have more power than the GM, currently there are only 3 such scenarios in the league: Gruden, Payton, and Reid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

Everything you've typed here is incorrect. I realize the futility of trying to explain this on Tantrum Tuesday, but here goes: Fans spread this false narrative simply because the FO was hired backwards. There are interviews that explain the working relationship they had together in Carolina and how they shared the same philosophy. Beane got the McDermott recommendation, and he was hired by Pegula to be his boss. That's it. No conspiracy theories. Sean McDermott does not make the decision whether Beane stays or goes. The fates of the two are 100% interconnected at this point, however.

And yes, it is extremely uncommon for the HC to have more power than the GM, currently there are only 3 such scenarios in the league: Gruden, Payton, and Reid.

Thank you! Note those 3 (and Beli) are very long tenured HCs. I know the Pegulas are clueless but it seems bat**** insane to let DC baby HC play GM.. poorly

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, QCity said:

I think Beane and McDermott have equal power and report to the President of the team (Kim).  McDermott drafted Peterman before Beane came on board.  The biggest mistake Beane made was in his hurry to hoard draft picks decided to ship McAaron to the Raiders when he could have kept all the three QBs on the roster.  This would given both Allen and Nate to learn the game more.  Everyone talks about Allen sitting for a year but no one is talking about why  Nate shouldn't do the same...After all he was a 5th round draft pick from last year.   If McAaron had been retained, this mess could have been avoided.   The HC and GM overthought themselves and saw what Nate did in pre-season and annoited him the starter only to pull him out in the 4th quarter of game 1....What is troubling me is that LACK of Faith in your starting QB especially after you shipped his competition the previous week and then threw the rookie to the wolves.   For this Beane and McDermott need to be held accountable.  They have clearly made a gross mistake at the most critical position on the team.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Who was responsible for trading McCarron and entering the season with Nasty Nate starting and JA as the only backup with a horrible o line?  That person or persons are doing a really bad job.

That person is McDermott, likely with Beane's input among others.

But it's McDermott's show, not Beane's.

48 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Honestly what would our record be with McCarron starting? Probably the same as it is now.

Lets not be naive...no option they had at QB was making them a playoff team. I swear people are in fantasy land with this stuff. It did not matter who they had the team around them is so bad offensively we were going to be really bad regardless.

They have a lot of work to do on offense but they have a lot of money next year and will have a top 5 draft pick most likely.

Edited by matter2003
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Honestly what would our record be with McCarron starting? Probably the same as it is now.

Lets not be naive...no option they had at QB was making them a playoff team. I swear people are in fantasy land with this stuff. It did not matter who they had the team around them is so bad offensively we were going to be really bad regardless.

They have a lot of work to do on offense but they have a lot of money next year and will have a top 5 draft pick most likely.

I would at least like to field a team not to be embarrassed by and the worst in the AFC dumpster diving for QBs. McCarron would have probably helped in that regard.

I also hate the idea that if someone doesn't think we can get to SB we shouldn't even try. LoSer mentality IMHO.

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.  I hate to see us pick back up a habit we broke last year.

Losing sucks no matter how you slice it.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I would at least like to field a team not to be embarrassed by and the worst in the AFC dumpster diving for QBs. McCarron would have probably helped in that regard.

I also hate the idea that if someone doesn't think we can get to SB we shouldn't even try. LoSer mentality IMHO.

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.  I hate to see us pick back up a habit we broke last year.

I discovered the process. We need to totally rid whatever confidence and build up a loser culture to really explode up from the pits. Take the Chiefs.. their chart starts at our start and is increasing concave down as they make several playoffs until it hit an inflection point with Mahomes and exploded up.

Dumb***es don't know how to rebuild.

5wQEF.png

You call that a rebuild??? Laughable. They never even tore the team down. Just ridiculous.

cost.png

Obviously before the POI they should have scrapped it all and roster dumped. All those playoffs losses were getting them nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Helped how? He looked the worst of the 3 QBs in the preseason by a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I am starting to find the criticisms of McDermott unfair. Probably not the best source but I see on the board a lot that McDermott is building this roster. 

Then what the hell is Beane doing or getting paid for? Who on Earth let's a former DC rookie HC do that? I just don't believe it (or want to). 

A coaches job is first and foremost to MOTIVATE. Was that not clearly the case last year? Tre White was dancing in between plays, Hyde running over after every great PBU to out of sheer pride for his unit. That's a confident team, a factor that makes middling teams push to the playoffs, Pete Carroll's young Seahawks to win it all.

That isn't much of a post. Ridiculous from the first minute. The first job is to motivate? Good grief, hire a cheerleader if that was the case. Players are pros, they're motivated. It's a part of the job but nowhere close to most important.

Beane isn't doing his job? Jeez. The most any Beane draftee has had is eight games of experience. And you want to judge him? Bizarre. Again, Beane has only had one draft. He's the one in charge of personnel acquisition, though he undoubtedly asks advice from McD.

As for Beane not working out, we should know by around 2022. Thinking you can judge by the personnel on the roster in the second year of a rebuild is pretty sad stuff.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Winning is a habit. So is losing. They are both habits that can be broken, mostly by building a good roster.

If you'd like a team not to be embarrassed by ... wait till the second year of the near-complete rebuild is past. Because this is what they look like. Embarrassing. Unpleasant. It does indeed suck. If they still look like this a year or two from now, they would deserve the criticism.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

People are wanting McD to win now when he has the lowest paid (least talented) roster in the NFL.   It typically doesn’t work that way.

People are wishing Beane had given McD a better roster when Beane only has one draft under his belt.   It typically doesn’t work that way.

Personally, I’m going to give both these guys more time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Thank you! Note those 3 (and Beli) are very long tenured HCs. I know the Pegulas are clueless but it seems bat**** insane to let DC baby HC play GM.. poorly

I agree with a lot of your posts. I think you raise some great points. 

I am not a fan of McDermott. I own that. However, I try to give him credit where I feel it is due and admit when I'm wrong. 

I don't like that he made his way in the league through the defensive side of the ball. Yet it's really unfair to hold that against him, that's on ownership. So far, he's done a great job with the defense. 

The only part I disagree with, is that he's not valued more, his opinion on personnel decisions isn't more impactful than Beane's.

I don't know who gets to reccomend who their Boss is going to be. Even by professional sports standards, off the top of my head, I can only think of Kobe and LeBron. It's an NBA thing.

I understand your view that a coach and GM need to be on the same page. But I just find the whole thing backwards. It's just ownership. They're a disaster. McDermott got Beane the job, Beane should be responsible for evaluation of McDermott's performance. Can you envision a scenario where Beane fires McDermott? Then hires the next head coach? If Allen doesn't pan out, they're both gone. It's just a mess. How does Beane look sitting in the box next to Terry, and start whispering in his ear, Terry, McDermott has to go on a sunday.

You hire a GM, you let him hire the coach because you trust them, and then that individual is responsible for the coach's performance. 

What you don't do is hire a coach and place them above the GM twice in 3 years. They did that with Rex, and they did it with McDermott. They've always undercut GMs and made them look powerless as owners of the Bills. 

Based on what I've seen, McDermott and Beane seem to be joined at the hip when it comes to personnel and coaching decisions.  Having a GM and a coach on the same page is a good thing, but when things go south (like our offense) they both get the blame.  The abhorrent offense and QB situation we're in is inexcusable.  They should get another year to try and fix the offense as they did a good job of fixing the defensive woes from last season with the moves they made in the draft and free agency.  Now let's see if they can do it with the offense.  My confidence at this point isn't very high.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Based on what I've seen, McDermott and Beane seem to be joined at the hip when it comes to personnel and coaching decisions.  Having a GM and a coach on the same page is a good thing, but when things go south (like our offense) they both get the blame.  The abhorrent offense and QB situation we're in is inexcusable.  They should get another year to try and fix the offense as they did a good job of fixing the defensive woes from last season with the moves they made in the draft and free agency.  Now let's see if they can do it with the offense.  My confidence at this point isn't very high.

Why not?  They totally crushed it  rebuilding the defense (esp. the defensive backfield) in one year.   Track record matters.   They did it on defense while getting rid of Dareus' cap-killer contract and losing Darby and Gilmore in FA.   McBeanes works for me.  Trust the process.  Offense is next. 

• Like (+1) 1