Quarterback Coach

jahbonas

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Right.  In fact less talented guys often become really good coaches because they had to study things a lot harder to make it

i'm not going to discount a guy like j. palmer. with his pedigree and experience. sometimes an ex qb can have all the smarts in the world but just didn't have the phyisical attributes to be very successful.

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It’s silly to think that out of all of his clients, he is going to come work for the Bills just to continue mentoring Allen.

....I'm sure he makes a good living freelancing as a teacher, working if or when he wants as well as for how long in a stretch......why would you sacrifice that for the 24/7 rigors of coaching?....kid is only 34.......based on his growing credentials, there will always be coaching opportunities down the road if he so chooses......

On 10/25/2018 at 2:41 PM, jahbonas said:

With so much invested in Josh Allen (7th pick overall and spending a few #2's to get there)  why the following??

1- We had no veteran QB dedicated to mentor  - see Jets purposely signed  39yr old Josh Mccown for just that purpose to help their rookie.

2- We have a QB coach who has spent his entire NFL career as a Wide Receivers coach  - WTF!!???  With all Pegulas money we dont surround Josh Allen with these critical teachers? How does this fit into the process? - It shows absolute zero respect for the QB position by just throw a WR coach at it

Coach David CULLEY’S COACHING CAREER

NFL

Buffalo Bills                    2017 –         Quarterbacks coach

Kansas City Chiefs        2013-16    Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach

Philadelphia Eagles        2011-12    Senior offensive assistant/wide receivers coach

Philadelphia Eagles        1999-10    Wide receivers coach

Pittsburgh Steelers        1996-98    Wide receivers coach

Tampa Bay Buccaneers        1994-95    Wide receivers coach

The 1st question you had about why we didn't sign a veteran QB, well I copied an article in another thread that said the Bills were looking to sign Sam bradford but obviously he opted for Arizona, Found another one where they were interested in Case Keenum and again, the WR position probably seemed better for him there is the only reason I could think of because both would be starters here also right now. So to say we didn't try to find a veteran to mentor Allen seems far fetched and we don't even know a 1/3 of what happens behind those doors, they could have been offers draft picks for a QB we have no idea of the situation.

As far as the WR coach hired as a QB coach, he was recommended by Andy Reid so I'd think that would have a big influence on the decision.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2018 at 4:34 PM, Buffalo716 said:

This gets brought up EVERY OTHER WEEK... Why does it need new threads on it?

David Culley is an outstanding coach and very well respected in coaching circles 

He IS A FOOTBALL COACH first and foremost . People who know jack squat about football think since his resume doesn’t scream QB coach, he’s incompetent 

He has spent time around some of the best minds in football and is known as a Xs and Os coach who harps fundamentals and is a very good developer 

This is the 68th time I’ve typed this and it’s getting old

We're seeing the ugly side of TBD.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

You know who the QB coach is for the Chiefs?  Mike Kafka.  His career.  He played four games total in the league.  

Coaches can be effective even with limited experience at a specific position.

Last I checked we dont have Andy Reid as our head coach/offensive coordinator  - we had Rick Dennison last year and a rookie OC this yr out of the Alabama ground.pound system,   Andy Reid is so good and so long proven he  can have captain kangaroo as his QB coach under him

3 minutes ago, jahbonas said:

Last I checked we dont have Andy Reid as our head coach/offensive coordinator  - we had Rick Dennison last year and a rookie OC this yr out of the Alabama ground.pound system,   Andy Reid is so good and so long proven he  can have captain kangaroo as his QB coach under him

Read the article in si about Mahomes and the impact Kafka has had.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Read the article in si about Mahomes and the impact Kafka has had.

I dont need an article about a KC coach - we know they are doing it right.  Im sure there is no SI article about how the Bills have cultivated an atmosphere here for our QB position - Dennison already fired and we have a WR coach as a first time NFL QB coach

AGAIN - ANDY REID is the KC Chiefs coach/offensive coordinator  - he needs no help - he is proven  - WE HAVE NOTHING LIKE THAT ON OUR OFFENSE

We have a power house coaching staff on the defensive side and surprise surprise we keep playing over our heads  on that side of the ball - gee ya think coaching over there makes a difference when we have Leslie Frazier & Mcdermott with great experience?  You think its a coincidence that those 2 safeties are playing better than they were advertised? That Tre White plays as if he is a 5th overall pick rather than in late 20s??  Coaching in this league matters big time.  All Im saying is the OFFENSE needs that same quality staff  - and Pegula (unlike Ralph) is willing to pay for it  - go get it !!!

1 minute ago, jahbonas said:

I dont need an article about a KC coach - we know they are doing it right.  Im sure there is no SI article about how the Bills have cultivated an atmosphere here for our QB position - Dennison already fired and we have a WR coach as a first time NFL QB coach

AGAIN - ANDY REID is the KC Chiefs coach/offensive coordinator  - he needs no help - he is proven  - WE HAVE NOTHING LIKE THAT ON OUR OFFENSE

We have a power house coaching staff on the defensive side and surprise surprise we keep playing over our heads  on that side of the ball - gee ya think coaching over there makes a difference when we have Leslie Frazier & Mcdermott with great experience?  You think its a coincidence that those 2 safeties are playing better than they were advertised? That Tre White plays as if he is a 5th overall pick rather than in late 20s??  Coaching in this league matters big time.  All Im saying is the OFFENSE needs that same quality staff  - and Pegula (unlike Ralph) is willing to pay for it  - go get it !!!

Of course you won't read it.  Because it is conflict with your preconceived opinion.

By the way Eric Bienemy is the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs.

I am sure Reid has a lot of impact just like McD has on our D.  And I am equally sure the Bills know they have to address the offense.  Drafting a QB high is part of that.  Coaches as part of that.  And you have zero clue how the coaching is being done.

And I did all that without resorting to using capital letters.  Imagine that.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:47 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I’ve wondered about Culley also and why they wouldn’t take a look at bringing in someone like Palmer who JA already has trust in, to beef that part of the staff up?

If Palmer was hired by the Bills he would have limited contact with Allen because of nfl rules limiting the time coaches can spend with players. As of now Palmer can work with Allen whenever. 

1 hour ago, jahbonas said:

Daboll isn’t a rookie OC.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Of course you won't read it.  Because it is conflict with your preconceived opinion.

By the way Eric Bienemy is the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs.

I am sure Reid has a lot of impact just like McD has on our D.  And I am equally sure the Bills know they have to address the offense.  Drafting a QB high is part of that.  Coaches as part of that.  And you have zero clue how the coaching is being done.

And I did all that without resorting to using capital letters.  Imagine that.

Eric Bienemy doesn't call the plays..........but by all means keep digging..........if the world is flat then you'll be out soon.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Eric Bienemy doesn't call the plays..........but by all means keep digging..........if the world is flat then you'll be out soon.

Yeah, and his title is offensive coordinator.  He helps out the scheme together.  

I just said said above I am sure Reid has a lot of impact.  But you just keep showing the world that you can't read.  

5 hours ago, jahbonas said:

Its absolutely ridiculous you keep comparing back to marrone.  Marrone era was under Ralph Wilson who would not pay for top coaching staffs  - this is a new era under Pegila where he will properly pay for the coaches requested  !  - also under Marrone we were not grooming a QB we spent the 7th pick overall on plus gave up Cordy Glenn & two #2's to obtain .

Marrone was grooming a first round pick also

and yes I can compare NFL coordinators and coaches , they are in the same league 

Culley was a D1 QB and has been with some great coaches. He is not someone who knows nothing about QBs

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Marrone was grooming a first round pick also

and yes I can compare NFL coordinators and coaches , they are in the same league 

Culley was a D1 QB and has been with some great coaches. He is not someone who knows nothing about QBs

...but if his 25 year experience leans towards WR AND if we have Robiskie on staff with 37 years as a WR Coach, how can we possibly have WR's that can't run routes despite 62 combined years coaching of WR's?....what did I miss bud?...........

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but if his 25 year experience leans towards WR AND if we have Robiskie on staff with 37 years as a WR Coach, how can we possibly have WR's that can't run routes despite 62 combined years coaching of WR's?....what did I miss bud?...........

I certainly feel like it’s an attention to detail thing

KB isn’t exactly known as the most fluid route runner and unfortunately we don’t have too many Contributors at the WR position 

Zay is starting to run pretty nice routes but that’s 1 guy

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Good point

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I certainly feel like it’s an attention to detail thing

KB isn’t exactly known as the most fluid route runner and unfortunately we don’t have too many Contributors at the WR position 

Zay is starting to run pretty nice routes but that’s 1 guy

...so then it sounds like a blatant communications issue between McBeane and coaches with 62 years experience as far as personnel selection they have to work with.......he turned 40 in April.......how could he NOT solicit the combined 62 years on the coaching staff for input so we arrive at where we are today?.....shades of Tom "Terrific" Donohole and his egotistical control freak regime...."here are YOUR players....make it work"........paid HUGE dividends for this club..............

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The 1st question you had about why we didn't sign a veteran QB, well I copied an article in another thread that said the Bills were looking to sign Sam bradford but obviously he opted for Arizona, Found another one where they were interested in Case Keenum and again, the WR position probably seemed better for him there is the only reason I could think of because both would be starters here also right now. So to say we didn't try to find a veteran to mentor Allen seems far fetched and we don't even know a 1/3 of what happens behind those doors, they could have been offers draft picks for a QB we have no idea of the situation.

As far as the WR coach hired as a QB coach, he was recommended by Andy Reid so I'd think that would have a big influence on the decision.

Exactly. 

I said the the same thing a while back in another thread. 

We know the Bills tried to sign -

Josh McCown -

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/23/report-bills-were-serious-about-josh-mccown-before-he-re-signed-with-jets/

Sam Bradford -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920603/article/buffalo-bills-have-interest-in-qb-sam-bradford

Case Keenum -

According to Steve Tasker they had been trying to sign Derek Anderson all offseason, too. It just took that long to get him to agree. 

Then they finally landed on AJ Maccarron after striking out on the others. 

There very well may have been more Qbs they went after that we didn’t hear about.