Picking Mcdermott over McVay

LFC24

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

Except that Goff hardly looked all that great as a rookie so there was a real question about whether he was a massive bust.  Wentz was the only one of the 2016 first round QBs who truly looked promising after his rookie campaign.

Errr.... Dak? 

Wentz and Goff's rookie campaigns were much closer than the box scores showed. Take it from someone who went back that summer and graded every snap. Wentz was better... but the perception that it was a big gap was wrong. I was pretty confident after that work that Goff would come good and said so on here. 

6 hours ago, fridge said:

This is one of those ones where I don't want to hear crap about hindsight is 50/50. Anyone that knows me knows I was actively calling for McVay.

I really don't understand our desire for ultra conservatism.  Last year we made the playoffs and it was the flukiest thing ever.  I flew from LA to JAX and had an absolutely miserable time watching Marrone HAND US THE GAME on a platter.  Outside of one drive where McDermott's D let Blake f***ing Bortles run for like 40 yards, the Jaguars did nothing.  They gave us the ball several times in good field position and we squandered it due to a complete misunderstanding of how and when to coach aggressively.

I guess this is just another dumb rant, but really I'm discouraged by our front office.  They've shown me no reason to think they're the answer, and I have a very similar feeling to how I felt around 25 games into all of our coaches since Wade.

The McBeane experiment should be cancelled, sooner rather than later IMO.

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes lets build the anomaly that has a razor thin margin of error and even a smaller window of long term success. That is the Run First and play defense model. 

That's what the defense/run people never seem to understand.

For that to work, about many variables have to work in your favor, consistently.  Which is almost impossible to orchestrate with any type of predictability, and in fact, defensive performance is totally unpredictable.  It's up and down around the league all the time. 

With a strong passing attack lots can go wrong every game and you can still win/bail yourself out of trouble.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Errr.... Dak? 

Wentz and Goff's rookie campaigns were much closer than the box scores showed. Take it from someone who went back that summer and graded every snap. Wentz was better... but the perception that it was a big gap was wrong. I was pretty confident after that work that Goff would come good and said so on here. 

Dak wasn't a first rounder.  He lasted until the fourth IIRC. 

2 years ago we could have left Anthony Lynn in place & kept the continuity of his offense in place along with Kromer as our O line coach to keep the top 5 rushing attack that we had which would have kept the consistency with the offense & made total sense but they didn't !

And 2 years before that we could have kept Schwartz on as HC or Rex could have just left him alone & brought in some of the coaches he did then when they fired him we would have had Schwartz & Lynn in place but Rex expertise over rides those decisions !!

Now he just wishes Jerry would have played as hard for him DUH !! 

It's all water under the bridge & we have to live with what we have until they decide the experiment is over !! 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LFC24 said:

2 years ago we had a chance to pick the young offensive minded coach or the conservative defensive minded coach. 

We had a chance to erase almost 2 decades of mediocrity and not make the same mistake of hiring the same old defensive minded coach who has no idea how to develop a QB or run a offense. 

Rams took the risk, Pegula played it safe. One coach is running the best team in the NFL and the other is on a downward spiral  being blown out every other week with no real plan for the future. Offensive minds like McVay really do not come around that often in this league. He was special and we made a massive mistake not hiring him. Sean McVay would have been the perfect coach to develop Allen into the QB he has the potential to become. Missing out on players in the draft hurts, but making wrong decisions like this cripples a franchise and 

I don’t think Mcvay would have even took Allen to be honest. But we’d never know. And this is what the bills do. 31 years of watching ***** never changes. People have it set in their head that the Buffalo Bills need to be defense first and run the ball. Until someone changes their perception of what football is in Buffalo it will always be the same

15 hours ago, LFC24 said:

2 years ago we had a chance to pick the young offensive minded coach or the conservative defensive minded coach. 

We had a chance to erase almost 2 decades of mediocrity and not make the same mistake of hiring the same old defensive minded coach who has no idea how to develop a QB or run a offense. 

Rams took the risk, Pegula played it safe. One coach is running the best team in the NFL and the other is on a downward spiral  being blown out every other week with no real plan for the future. Offensive minds like McVay really do not come around that often in this league. He was special and we made a massive mistake not hiring him. Sean McVay would have been the perfect coach to develop Allen into the QB he has the potential to become. Missing out on players in the draft hurts, but making wrong decisions like this cripples a franchise and 

Could you please explain what you mean by playing it safe?

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

Keep making excuses for McDermott. 

Am I wrong? Had Mcdermott taken the Rams job what would he really had to have changed? Getting WR help? More secondary help? Call it excuses I guess but I just feel Mcvay would be in the same boat here that McDermott is in. 

13 hours ago, LFC24 said:

nope

McVay means no Brandon Beane. So there is a chance we could have had actual talent on this roster. 

I really don't get that since he's only been the GM of this team not even a full year but you're entitled to your opinion.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:44 PM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Am I wrong? Had Mcdermott taken the Rams job what would he really had to have changed? Getting WR help? More secondary help? Call it excuses I guess but I just feel Mcvay would be in the same boat here that McDermott is in. 

I really don't get that since he's only been the GM of this team not even a full year but you're entitled to your opinion.

Since McVay took over, The Rams have replaced 2 starting OL, top 4 WR, starting TE, and their top-3 CB’s among others. The Aaron Donald or Gurley situation could have also blown up if the Rams decided they weren’t worth the money (like Mack or Bell).

It’s not like nothing has changed in LA. I don’t think McDermott identifies the WR talent at the very least and he’s definitely not drawing up the creative scheming you see the Rams run every week.