The season mistake was Teddy Bridgewater

betop

On 10/15/2018 at 3:36 PM, betop said:

Imagine this team with Teddy at QB and Josh Allen learning in the bench... with this defense and a QB like him the bills would be very good playoff team.

But they sing Macarron for the same money and then choose Peterman over him both big mistakes

I wrote the following in a different Bridgewater thread:

I guess I don't get the romanticizing with this guy. It's not like he took the league by storm. His stats are very similar to Tyrod's.

Bridgewater in 2014 (first year he started) - finished with a 6-6 record, 2919 yards, 14 TDs, 12 INTs, 39 sacks

Taylor in 2015 (first year he started) - finished with a 7-6 record, 3035 yards, 20 TDs, 6 INTs, 36 sacks - selected to Pro Bowl

Bridgewater in 2015 (second year as starter) - 11-5 record (great Minnesota defense), 3231 yards, still only 14 TDs, 9 INTs, 44 sacks - selected to Pro Bowl

Taylor in 2016 (second year as starter) - 7-8 record, 3023 yards, 17 TDs, 6 INTs, 42 sacks

Bridgewater was injured prior to the 2016 season and that sent him on the path that saw him lose the Vikings starting job, end up with the Jets and now the Saints.

Taylor had one more year as a starter in Buffalo, 8-6 record, 2799 yards, 14 TDS, 4 INTs, 46 sacks - helped end a 17-year playoff drought.

Both QBs are similar in size, both have a habit of holding onto the ball too long, both have trouble seeing over the line and seeing the entire field. Bridgewater's completion percentage was a few points higher than Taylor's but not by a whole lot.

So put Bridgewater behind this OL and see if the results are any better... doubtful.

Plus, Bridgewater is much less mobile than Taylor, and probably even Allen.

I know they say they tried with some of these options, but my question ( or questioning) of this staff is how hard did they try?

For example they tried with Derek Anderson in the off season but he wanted to keep his options open.

Well...OK...how hard did they try?  How important was it to them or how important SHOULD THEY HAVE REALIZED IT WAS TO THEM?

Right now it appears Anderson is getting the veteran minimum.  Is that what they offered him in the off season?  Is that why they didn't bother to offer Teddy anything?

Sure they are tight up against the cap, but Quarterback is different and they had the room to either double, or in Teddy's case, add a couple of million on to these offers.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:36 PM, betop said:

Imagine this team with Teddy at QB and Josh Allen learning in the bench... with this defense and a QB like him the bills would be very good playoff team.

But they sing Macarron for the same money and then choose Peterman over him both big mistakes

Did you ever think that the player needs to want to come to your city and play for your team?

This isn't Madden where you wave a big check and the player comes running ;)

Teddy B thought he could win the Jets job and prove himself to get a big payday in 2019.

BTW OP did you even see the PS games?

AJM looked bad.

But seriously...

We take Mahomes last year at 10, he sits behind Tyrod all year.  We lose White (though I world exists where we could have potentially had White instead of Zay Jones).  We don't have pick 22 this year.  So since we are all the way down the rabbit hole, lets say they move up and get White instead of Zay Jones (obviously White was higher on their board and obviously they were willing to move up)

In 2018, we have no need to move up in the draft for QB, so we keep Cordy at LT and pick 21.  We still trade Tyrod as Mahomes is the starter now, so we sit at the draft with picks 21 / 53 / 56 / 65. 

21 - Billy Price

53 - James Washington

56 - Royce Freeman

65 - Fred Warner

So basically we could have had:  Mahomes / White / Glenn / Price / James Washington / Royce Freeman / Fred Warner

Instead we have:  Allen / White / Zay / Edmunds

Yeah.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

But seriously...

We take Mahomes last year at 10, he sits behind Tyrod all year.  We lose White (though I world exists where we could have potentially had White instead of Zay Jones).  We don't have pick 22 this year.  So since we are all the way down the rabbit hole, lets say they move up and get White instead of Zay Jones (obviously White was higher on their board and obviously they were willing to move up)

In 2018, we have no need to move up in the draft for QB, so we keep Cordy at LT and pick 21.  We still trade Tyrod as Mahomes is the starter now, so we sit at the draft with picks 21 / 53 / 56 / 65. 

21 - Billy Price

53 - James Washington

56 - Royce Freeman

65 - Fred Warner

So basically we could have had:  Mahomes / White / Glenn / Price / James Washington / Royce Freeman / Fred Warner

Instead we have:  Allen / White / Zay / Edmunds

Yeah.

And there could have been an earth quake that swallowed up the entirety of WNY and then we'd have nothing to complain about.

This kind of hindsight stuff is useless.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And there could have been an earth quake that swallowed up the entirety of WNY and then we'd have nothing to complain about.

This kind of hindsight stuff is useless.

It's not though.  There were plenty on the board who liked Mahomes (or Watson) and there were plenty who thought we overpaid to move up for a subpar QB prospect.

It's the same old as this franchise has been the last two decades.  Plenty see the brick wall coming every time, but many claim we should blindly support everything the franchise does.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's not though.  There were plenty on the board who liked Mahomes (or Watson) and there were plenty who thought we overpaid to move up for a subpar QB prospect.

It's the same old as this franchise has been the last two decades.  Plenty see the brick wall coming every time, but many claim we should blindly support everything the franchise does.

I liked Watson.  I was disappointed they didn't take him.  I watched last week.  He didn't play well.

Now tell me exactly how my wanting Watson last year is in any way useful.

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Are only the "probation" posters allowed to start new Teddy threads, because if not, I have some really unique takes on this topic that I think deserve their own thread...

I'll be happy to read it, but make sure you start the post with "Hear me out...."

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I liked Watson.  I was disappointed they didn't take him.  I watched last week.  He didn't play well.

Now tell me exactly how my wanting Watson last year is in any way useful.

I'm sorry, I thought a message board was a place for a conversation.  I was replying in a thread about someone wishing we had signed Bridgewater and simply stating taking Mahomes + not having to move up this past spring looks like the clear mistake.  How are you adding anything replying in a "I wish we had done...." thread stating it's a useless exercise.  Literally everything that's done here is a useless exercise, a place for fans to talk about frustrations or things that interest them.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I wrote the following in a different Bridgewater thread:

I guess I don't get the romanticizing with this guy. It's not like he took the league by storm. His stats are very similar to Tyrod's.

Bridgewater in 2014 (first year he started) - finished with a 6-6 record, 2919 yards, 14 TDs, 12 INTs, 39 sacks

Taylor in 2015 (first year he started) - finished with a 7-6 record, 3035 yards, 20 TDs, 6 INTs, 36 sacks - selected to Pro Bowl

Bridgewater in 2015 (second year as starter) - 11-5 record (great Minnesota defense), 3231 yards, still only 14 TDs, 9 INTs, 44 sacks - selected to Pro Bowl

Taylor in 2016 (second year as starter) - 7-8 record, 3023 yards, 17 TDs, 6 INTs, 42 sacks

Bridgewater was injured prior to the 2016 season and that sent him on the path that saw him lose the Vikings starting job, end up with the Jets and now the Saints.

Taylor had one more year as a starter in Buffalo, 8-6 record, 2799 yards, 14 TDS, 4 INTs, 46 sacks - helped end a 17-year playoff drought.

Both QBs are similar in size, both have a habit of holding onto the ball too long, both have trouble seeing over the line and seeing the entire field. Bridgewater's completion percentage was a few points higher than Taylor's but not by a whole lot.

So put Bridgewater behind this OL and see if the results are any better... doubtful.

Plus, Bridgewater is much less mobile than Taylor, and probably even Allen.

Oh my god. Tyrod was in the NFL for 5 years!

11 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'm sorry, I thought a message board was a place for a conversation.  I was replying in a thread about someone wishing we had signed Bridgewater and simply stating taking Mahomes + not having to move up this past spring looks like the clear mistake.  How are you adding anything replying in a "I wish we had done...." thread stating it's a useless exercise.  Literally everything that's done here is a useless exercise, a place for fans to talk about frustrations or things that interest them.

I was too harsh.  My apologies. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I'll be happy to read it, but make sure you start the post with "Hear me out...."

Or "I was just thinking..."

Or "I apologize if this is being discussed in another thread...."

Edited by Mr. WEO

59 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Oh my god. Tyrod was in the NFL for 5 years!

And?

If Bridgewater is as good as some people believe, he'd be starting somewhere. 

There's also something to be said about his knee. It was a massive injury. He's potentially one hit away from ending his career. Granted, that can be said for all players but the likelihood for it happening to him is much higher because of the knee. I think that's had a lot to do as to why he hasn't received any real starting opportunities anywhere.

55 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

And?

If Bridgewater is as good as some people believe, he'd be starting somewhere. 

There's also something to be said about his knee. It was a massive injury. He's potentially one hit away from ending his career. Granted, that can be said for all players but the likelihood for it happening to him is much higher because of the knee. I think that's had a lot to do as to why he hasn't received any real starting opportunities anywhere.

The team with Drew Brees traded for him. He should start over Brees?

Edited by BringBackOrton