Allen looked very good today

8 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

He is a rookie QB and I'm not expecting him to decipher NFL defenses within his first 5 games.  If he can't do it by next season he is probably a bust.  You can be of the opinion that the coaches are putting him in the best position to win but I am not.

Giving him more to do in with a higher degree of complexity when he can't process fast enough isn't putting him in the best position to win. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

it's always interesting when people talk about progression after 6 games. like what am i supposed to see after he's played like 20 hours of NFL football? his whole game changed? Is he supposed to be throwing TD after TD? or is he going to slowly learn to read blitzes and coverages, and build relationships with pass catchers and learn situational awareness. things that take time. that don't show up on the scoreboard immediately. buffalo will run every single QB out of town before their second season is over. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Giving him more to do in with a higer degree of complexity when he can't process fast enough isn't putting him in the best position to win. 

That is a valid point but I still don't think Daboll is doing him any favors?  How much play action do we use for as much as we run?  It seemed to work the one time I remember us doing it yesterday.  Can Allen not process running more play action passes when the opposing defense is stacked up to stop the run?

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

An unpolished QB who can’t make presnap reads... a porous OL...   a WR corps that struggles to gain separation and make catches...  It all adds up to a horrendous passing attack and some of the blame is Allen’s.

We can all guess if Allen will get better but no one knows.  He has a NFL arm but we don’t know if he will learn the other stuff which is sometimes learnable.   All we can do is cross our fingers and pray to the gridiron gods.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

it's always interesting when people talk about progression after 6 games. like what am i supposed to see after he's played like 20 hours of NFL football? his whole game changed? Is he supposed to be throwing TD after TD? or is he going to slowly learn to read blitzes and coverages, and build relationships with pass catchers and learn situational awareness. things that take time. that don't show up on the scoreboard immediately. buffalo will run every single QB out of town before their second season is over. 

No, but one TD in 13 quarters would be nice.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
4 minutes ago, fridge said:

No, but one TD in 13 quarters would be nice.

Moving the team down the field and running the ball in is just as good.

Why I am down on Allen Development. Is the coaches 

Culley and Daboll

Allen has regressed from the Strides he made with Palmer and that lays directly at the feet of those charged with his development. Culley and Daboll

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Moving the team down the field and running the ball in is just as good.

Yikes. There's nothing "good" to look at there.  It's getting to the point where the only positives for Allen are his arm strength, his tenacity, and his youth.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why I am down on Allen Development. Is the coaches 

Culley and Daboll

Allen has regressed from the Strides he made with Palmer and that lays directly at the feet of those charged with his development. Culley and Daboll

Regressed how? Things change dramatically when you have 5-7 guys rushing you as opposed to working on mechanics against air in gym shorts. This comes back to him being placed in a horrible situation where he was forced to play. That’s on BB and McD.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Regressed how? Things change dramatically when you have 5-7 guys rushing you as opposed to working on mechanics against air in gym shorts. This comes back to him being placed in a horrible situation where he was forced to play. That’s on BB and McD.

His Mechanics were fine in Preseason and in SD and Minny and now they have gone completely away. But I agree it is on BB and McD not only with how the entire QB thing was handled. What they put around the QB and the coaches they have charged with developing the QB 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

His Mechanics were fine in Preseason and in SD and Minny and now they have gone completely away. But I agree it is on BB and McD not only with how the entire QB thing was handled. What they put around the QB and the coaches they have charged with developing the QB 

If Allen is a bust it’s because this regime set him up to fail which is mind boggling given what they invested to get him. For guys that talk about the process and making smart decisions, this was horrible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, In Nate We Trust said:

Agreed. He has looked good at times. That is what you want from a rookie. He needs some weapons, especially a deep threat.

...why the hell NOT?....Jesus, he's FIVE games into his NFL body of work...imagine if Peyton (3-13) or Aikman (1-15) in their rook years had to endure the TBD Tribunal?.....UBER would be on overload to get their butts outta town.......word to Josh: RENT...do not BUY........you ain't here for long......

I think the biggest thing he needs to show, even as a rookie, is that he can occasionally stand in the pocket, feel the rush and maneuver around it without putting his head down and taking off, and find receivers down field for chunk yardage. I'll take the odd bad decision, INT, or sack if he's showing progress in this area. 

Josh is never going to be Phillip Rivers manipulating coverage at the line, but perhaps he might eventually show signs of being a big play threat with his arm and his legs. Think Jeff George.

The concern right now is that outside of the Minnesota game, he really hasn't shown much of anything. Part of that is the game plan - clearly McD and Daboll don't trust him to not lose us the game Peterman-style, and so they've been ultra-conservative with play calling and limiting Josh's reads. I expect that once we're out of the playoff race they'll open things up and let Allen play a little more freely so he can learn from his mistakes.  

Edited by VW82

The main reason for hope is that despite almost no passing offense and barely scratching the surface of his NFL potential, he’s led the team to victories over the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans. That’s two NFL teams that wanted to rip his head off. And yes, defense was awesome, but he led the team.  Winning NFL games is a hard deal. 

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I agree Allen needs to improve.  I suspect if you asked Allen, he would say he needs to improve.  But he has played less than half an NFL season.

The last rookie QB I can remember that walked in and actually played great was Dan Marino.

Cam put up 400yds in back to back his 1st 2 games...but I hear U....I'm not giving up on him yet.

..He has garbage at the Wr position but he creates some of those problems.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

The main reason for hope is that despite almost no passing offense and barely scratching the surface of his NFL potential, he’s led the team to victories over the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans. That’s two NFL teams that wanted to rip his head off. And yes, defense was awesome, but he led the team.  Winning NFL games is a hard deal. 

Hello dominating defense!

• Haha (+1) 1