Long hair is not a strategic advantage

7 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I have great hair, but totally agree with the OP in this. 

OP makes some good points. No doubt a crucial first down was lost due to Ivory's glorious mane.

But Ray Ray muffed a punt because he wasn't able to concentrate due to his well-maintained coiffure? That's really splitting hairs. On the contrary, his pre-game attention to tonsorial resplendence should have allowed him to concentrate fully on his in-game punt catching responsibilities. Now if you want to argue that residual hair product on his hands impacted his ability to secure the catch I'm willing to consider that aspect. 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

OP makes some good points. No doubt a crucial first down was lost due to Ivory's glorious mane.

But Ray Ray muffed a punt because he wasn't able to concentrate due to his well-maintained coiffure? That's really splitting hairs. On the contrary, his pre-game attention to tonsorial resplendence should have allowed him to concentrate fully on his in-game punt catching responsibilities. Now if you want to argue that residual hair product on his hands impacted his ability to secure the catch I'm willing to consider that aspect. 

Hair products typically leave a “sticky” residue on the hands (mousse, hair gel)...that should have helped him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The obvious solution is just don't have long hair sticking out to grab - but I don't understand why the horsecollar rule doesn't include hair - it has the same risk of injury (probably even more so)  as yanking on the back of the pads

7 minutes ago, stevewin said:

The obvious solution is just don't have long hair sticking out to grab - but I don't understand why the horsecollar rule doesn't include hair - it has the same risk of injury (probably even more so)  as yanking on the back of the pads

It’s not part of the uniform.  Let’s say a WR had a wooden leg and a CB tackled him and his leg came off. That isn’t a penalty. The WR chose to play with a wooden leg. Same idea. 

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Hair products typically leave a “sticky” residue on the hands (mousse, hair gel)...that should have helped him. 

So by "extension" you're refuting your own point. Ray Rays dreads should have resulted in sticky hands and had nothing to do with the muffed punt, likely just the opposite. I appreciate when posters can walk back from their original misguided premises. Maintaining anything else would be a bald-faced lie and I'd probably wig out.

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

It’s not part of the uniform.  Let’s say a WR had a wooden leg and a CB tackled him and his leg came off. That isn’t a penalty. The WR chose to play with a wooden leg. Same idea. 

I understand, but you can easily treat it as part of the uniform.  The whole point of the horse collar rule is safety - to prevent injury from being hauled down from the back of the neck - the exact same injury risk exists when grabbing the hair.  

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Any of you anti-dreadites ever hear of a dude named Samson?

/dread? No, /thread

More like he got Absalomed there

37 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That would be freaking awesome to see

Edited by row_33

I've been thinking about this problem all day.  

On the one hand, we all know that the less you have down there, the longer you probably grow your hair.  These extensions are clearly most widely employed by those who are phallically challenged.  

You make these guys cut their hair and you may take away what little virility they have.  The virility goes and so does their confidence.  Their confidence goes and there goes their game.

So while short hair is more efficient and functional, it also means a timid, tame, torpid, team.  

I don't know how to reconcile this.  

I'm at my wit's split end.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, stevewin said:

I understand, but you can easily treat it as part of the uniform.  The whole point of the horse collar rule is safety - to prevent injury from being hauled down from the back of the neck - the exact same injury risk exists when grabbing the hair.  

Agreed. Honestly, from the first camera angle, I thought it was a horse collar. Then, when I didn´t see a flag, I realized that either the refs were entirely incompetent (which is always a distinct possibility) or more likely that he was dragged down by the long and straights. Either way, he was yanked pretty good and he snapped straight back. It was dangerous and probably painful. But, hey, it´s all good...at least you´re not allowed to land on a QB during the natural course of a tackle.

Long hair is stupid for two positions, well 3 if some had it: RB, WR, and if it'd ever happen, QB. I was mentioning it to my sons and 5 minutes later Ivory gets pull down by the hair. 

For others, certainly not a "strategic advantage" but doesn't matter.

• Like (+1) 1