So Eli Manning gets a pass but Josh Allen needs to produce NOW??

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

You’re missing the point. Guys need to chill out. Give Josh Allen OBJackass, Shepherd and a real TE and he might actually shut some people up. 

Might be that you’re missing the counterpoint, that there is no comparison between declining two time Super Bowl champion Eli Manning (a qb who probably will be a HoF nominee at some point) and Josh Allen

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I don't think Eli is getting much of a pass to be honest. Basically every NFL writer I follow on Twitter was ridiculing him last night and everyone was begging for Kyle Lauletta to play (who was inactive for the game lol).

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not much.  Like the song goes   You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em.   

Reading a defense and make progressions is great.  But when you can't deliver the ball.   Its not going to work.  

Joe Montana clung on to playing in KC and the one thing I clearly remember from that time,  was him getting sacked by Bruce Smith in a playoff game lying on the ground dazed and confused.   The last play of his career.    Go out on top and not looking like a man lost.  

NE lost to Nick Foles,  a backup QB.    

Things happen 

that was a small potatoes hit on Joe compared to what Jim Burt and Leonard Marshall did to him.

10 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Eli has never been a great QB in my opinion vastly overrated.

He was pretty good for a long time, but I agree he was never great. He's probably only had like one season where he was a top 10 QB in the league.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

There is no sure thing that "Josh will be fine". Time will tell.

part of the fun of being a fan is watching something good (and maybe great) develop

i don't have to put a Brady mask on the Bills young QB

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sure.

I just hope that development part happens. There's no guarantee it will. 

People said the same about many QBs who were added to a long list of NFL busts.

I"m not betting on the Bills straight up too many times this season.

I've seen greatness for the Bills and long to see it again

people fall in love with college QBs using a tinker-toy option game to run the score up on totally outmatched cupcakes

Simple answer: some people are dumb.

The Giants FO, for example. They passed on Darnold for a RB. Time will tell with Darnold, but he looks like he'll be a good one, which matches the general thought pre draft. 

Maybe they get lucky and hit on one of the QBs next year, but it's by far a weaker QB class. If not, the Giants will be guilty of making basically the same mistake that the Steelers made by sticking with Bradshaw and passing on Marino.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

10 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Simple answer: some people are dumb.

The Giants FO, for example. They passed on Darnold for a RB. Time will tell with Darnold, but he looks like he'll be a good one, which matches the general thought pre draft. 

Maybe they get lucky and hit on one of the QBs next year, but it's by far a weaker QB class. If not, the Giants will be guilty of making basically the same mistake that the Steelers made by sticking with Bradshaw and passing on Marino.

Pack stumbled into back to back HOF QBs, dumped one who still had great years left in him

with our luck Brady will be eased out by a replacement who is another Rodgers from Day One...  :(

Edited by row_33

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Funny how Eli Manning can look like absolute trash and the overwhelming majority give him a pass. This is despite his having a solid TE, Shepherd and the highest paid WR in the league (OBJackass). 

Yet, Josh Allen has a mishmash of WR’s, a suspect line and is starting his FOURTH game and some of the experts think he should sit. 

Sad

BBF is partly right and partly wrong.  One the right side: Eli hasn't looked good this year and Allen needs more time. 

On the wrong side: his concern with what others are saying.  I don't know if others are saying what he thinks they're saying and even if they are, who cares?

For example, I don't know how many people are giving Eli a pass.  I don't see that at all.

And the few people who think Allen should sit say so usually  because they worry about the Bills ruining his confidence playing before he's ready - playing behind a bad line with no one to throw to.  I think everyone who matters realize Allen is a rookie and a works-in-progress.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

So you fellas think I'm dumb. Well take a look at the preseason projections of the so called "experts" who have the Giants either winning the NFC East or having a record of 10-6 or better.  All based on the addition of Barkley, a solid WR corpse and an improved O Line.  So from day one, Eli has been given the benefit of the doubt given the improved team.

Yet Josh Allen has "Turnstile Trio" (Miller, Ducasse, Bodine), St. Francis High School JV split backs and a TE who averages a whopping 20 yards per game, yet he needs to sit??

This boy has fire in his belly, he's a wrecking machine and only wants to win. He needs to be unleashed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Reminds me a bit of Bledsoe at the end of his career in terms of needing an all star cast of lineman to function.

However, Bledsoe would still suck with all pros on the line. Eli would be good. 

I saw numerous times where his severe lack of mobility made his line look worse than it really is. It's still not a good offensive line, but Manning makes it look worse at times. 

Eli Manning has always been statuesque and needed an all-pro OL in front of him.  I agree, if a passer with more pocket presence and mobility were playing behind that line it would look better, but the other part of the equation is from what I saw, there's some unintended truth in BBF description of the "WR corpse".   Either the play design sucks, or the WR are demoralized; they're not getting the separation they should.  Shurmur is capable of being an excellent, excellent offensive coach but for some reason that isn't coming out.  I get the feeling he may be totally over his head as a HC.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eli Manning has always been statuesque and needed an all-pro OL in front of him.  I agree, if a passer with more pocket presence and mobility were playing behind that line it would look better, but the other part of the equation is from what I saw, there's some unintended truth in BBF description of the "WR corpse".   Either the play design sucks, or the WR are demoralized; they're not getting the separation they should.  Shurmur is capable of being an excellent, excellent offensive coach but for some reason that isn't coming out.  I get the feeling he may be totally over his head as a HC.

We may be looking for an OC in a couple of years.