Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

saying a candidate needs a black VP to bring out the black vote - 

without any respect for the black candidate and his or her vision...just the very notion that they’re being black will bring blacks out to vote. 
while it might be true - how racist is that???

Progressive idiots seem to have no idea. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I think the Dem base is really changing. Suburban women are becoming a major factor for the Democrats. The labor vote is still sort of there but dwindling. Bernie got a lower percentage this time than four years ago and the moderate candidates got over or close to 50% so I'm not sure Bernie will be standing at the end. I hope not, personally, but I'd vote for him over Trump for sure. 

Any vote whether it be moderate or hard left can't be split between two or more candidates and still have meaning if those candidates are not there in the final round.  At some point somebody like Klobuchar has to start grabbing a much larger portion of the overall voter base to have real momentum.  Big Labor's golden age was from 1945 to 1990 in terms of union participation.  Big labor was still effective for years afterward as those people retired but still went out to the town halls to vote.  These same people today are dying literally or are getting too old to participate.  

This is going to be interesting to watch, how Bloomberg handles that tape that came out about him. Can he unring this bell? 

Inside Bloomberg's sprawling Manhattan headquarters, his team sprung to action: Emails started flying before sunrise about how to respond. Strategies about how to handle President Donald Trump’s tweet calling him a “total racist” were debated. And staffers gathered for a morning meeting worried about how to manage black surrogates and supporters whose endorsements were to be rolled out that week.

Leaders for Bloomberg’s black and Latino constituency teams gathered on a call with staffers spread across the country to get ahead of the news and calm their nerves. They talked about Bloomberg’s evolution from high-profile defender to deeply apologetic critic of “stop and frisk,” sources familiar with the exchange told POLITICO. Advisers to the former New York City mayor distributed talking points that catalogued his work on economic opportunity and racial justice.

1 hour ago, Hedge said:

Thread.

A retweet of Bernie marxism on this page is truly astounding.  Here's the snippet

Two weeks ago Jeff Bezos added $13 billion to his wealth in 15 minutes. $13 billion in 15 minutes. Think about that compared to the pain and struggle of millions of Americans who are living paycheck to paycheck. We have a rigged economy and that has got to change.

I am speechless how a near-octogenarian who sets legislative policy doesn't understand how equity markets work.

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I'm not sure Bernie will be standing at the end. I hope not, personally, but I'd vote for him over Trump for sure. 

This is a tough one for me.

I don't like Trump at all as a person, and I"m iffy on his policies.  I really do not want to see him there for another 4 years (like really, REALLY don't want it), but you know what?  There is a way I might be OK with it..and that if the other choice is Sanders.  A year ago I would have told you it was a certainty that I'd want any Democrat over Trump...but the more I hear of Sanders and what he/his supports want, I'm not so sure I'd take that plunge.

Basically, I want a centrist. Republican or Democrat...doesn't matter...whoever is closes to the center would be my choice. Trump is too extreme to the right for me (plus his personality..ugh).  But Sanders seems SO far left...if only given the choice of those two...I just may abstain from voting but in the back of my head 'accepting' Trump as the better of the two.

16 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Basically, I want a centrist. Republican or Democrat...doesn't matter...whoever is closes to the center would be my choice. Trump is too extreme to the right for me (plus his personality..ugh).  But Sanders seems SO far left...if only given the choice of those two...I just may abstain from voting but in the back of my head 'accepting' Trump as the better of the two.

With all respect to your personal political opinion (no snark intended :beer: ) .... 

Trump's policies are more centralist democrat than anyone running for the DNC. He was a democrat for most of his life, and his policies reflect that thus far: no endless war, civil liberty protections, rolling back of the police state/draconian sentencing, et al. 

If you're looking for a centrist, you're not going to find it in any of the dems running. The party sold its soul to the pro-fascist wing and there's no going back.