2019 FA's Who Can the Bills Snag in FA C to Make the Bills Better ?

T master

We all know that this years WR corp is really weak & that the Bills need help in quite a few areas on the team to make them more than respectable. Given that next year there will be a ton of cap room to work with even though some fans here think that Bean needs to be fired i wonder what they will think next year when they are able to bring in some really good FA's ?

Although the Bills have a number of draft picks & we all know they will have a bunch of rookies next year to help the long term future of the Bills let's keep this to FA's only !!

So i haven't really researched it which is why i thought this would be some thing interesting for us fans to do to see who the Bills might be interested in in the FA market come next year to bolster the roster .

First off who will be FA's next year & who do you all think that Bean & company will be taking a long hard look at to bring in here to help the team out that would make sense long term ?

I'm guessing that the likes of a Leveon Bell will not be coming around seeing as he has caused so much grief in Pittsburgh but who would fit into the plans & the type of culture that McD & Bean are trying to build here ?

Who would be a good long term fit & would be some one you as a Bills fan could see your self rooting for that could be in a Bills uni for years to come that could make a difference ? 

I see a rookie learning for a year under Bodine unfortunately.  But i would be cool with it if they were able to snag a G and T in frer agency. I don't see any free agent centers as big upgrades..... Too bad there were about 4 very good prospects we just missed out on this past draft :(

Edited by TheBeaneBandit

25 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I see a rookie learning for a year under Bodine unfortunately.  But i would be cool with it if they were able to snag a G and T in frer agency. I don't see any free agent centers as big upgrades..... Too bad there were about 4 very good prospects we just missed out on this past draft :(

If they cannot draft someone to unseat Bodine right away then something is wrong with the scouting department.  Cincy drafted Billy Price and he's starting already.  Their OL picked up partly because of him.  The lions took Ragnow, and right now he's one of their starting Guards but he has plenty of C experience.  The Cards have Mason Cole starting at C, who is also a rookie.  If it is difficult for this scouting department to find someone to unseat Bodine, someone needs their walking papers.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

If they cannot draft someone to unseat Bodine right away then something is wrong with the scouting department.  Cincy drafted Billy Price and he's starting already.  Their OL picked up partly because of him.  The lions took Ragnow, and right now he's one of their starting Guards but he has plenty of C experience.  The Cards have Mason Cole starting at C, who is also a rookie.  If it is difficult for this scouting department to find someone to unseat Bodine, someone needs their walking papers.

Hey,  i hope you are right, believe me man!

18 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Someone blew a gasket on Reddit when I suggested Ragnow would be a guard, said no way no how.  Wish i could remember who.   

13 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Someone blew a gasket on Reddit when I suggested Ragnow would be a guard, said no way no how.  Wish i could remember who.   

Well,  he is for this year,  but i see pro bowl center starting next year. I can see a similar situation for the Bills next year if the play their cards right. 

Edited by TheBeaneBandit

3 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Well,  he is for this year,  but i see pro bowl center starting next year. I can see a similar situation for the Bills next year if the play their cards right. 

I'd rather we got a guy like Price and just went day 1 week 1 starter at center.   If you're a good center in college you can step right in and start.   Wood should have been a center from day 1 that was just a stupid idea not to have him there.   I just hope they don't consider Bodine the next Mills.....and keep him around for 5 years refusing to upgrade the position. 

DE Trey Flowers (NE) He's a hard worker, he'll be 27 years young next year and we steal him from a division rival, win-win.

OT Darryl Williams (CAR) He has familiarity with the coach/GM and would upgrade the right side of the OL

WR John brown (BAL) or Cole Beasley (DAL) I think both of these WR are hard working, find a way to get open and could help out our young QB. I expect a drafted WR also.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I'd rather we got a guy like Price and just went day 1 week 1 starter at center.   If you're a good center in college you can step right in and start.   Wood should have been a center from day 1 that was just a stupid idea not to have him there.   I just hope they don't consider Bodine the next Mills.....and keep him around for 5 years refusing to upgrade the position. 

I hope so too! In fact i wouldn't be upset if they only added one 2nd tier WR if it meant they used their resources to upgrade 3 OL spots.  

The free agent wide receivers available next off-season aren't awe-inspiring, really. And based on the free agents they've signed so far, it seems like they look for guys coming off their rookie deals. Which is smart, it gives you a player in his prime age (25, 26, 27) but still has 3-5 years under his belt.

Larry Fitzgerald is the top one but I'm sure he'd rather retire than play elsewhere.

Randall Cobb will be an FA but has dealt with a number of injuries over the last few years and is currently making $10 mil a year. Obviously, he won't get that again seeing how he's 29, but he'll try and I don't think Buffalo would be willing to come close to what he wants.

Donte Moncrief could be available, he's on a one-year deal in Jacksonville right now and has actually played pretty well for them so they may extend him during the season, who knows.

Tavon Austin would be available but no thank you.

Golden Tate would be a great addition but he's 31, so unless they bring him in to be like the "elder statesman" of the WR group, that's the only way I can see it happening. He's quietly had big numbers year after year so I think any young receiver would benefit in learning from him.

Ryant Grant from Indy could be a possibility. He's 27 and on a one-year prove it deal. So far he's played really well in Indy, has 24 catches for 246 yards and a score. He might be a name to keep an eye on.

John Brown from Baltimore will be available. He said earlier this year that his decision came down to the Bills and Ravens and he chose to go with the team not in a rebuild, can't blame him. Dude is a legit deep threat, has 19 receptions for 396 yards, a nearly 21 yard average per reception. He'll be 29 or 30 next year so, we'll see if they circle back to him and try again.

Jermaine Kearse formerly of Seattle and currently with the Jets would be available. Seems like his best play was in Seattle though as he hasn't been much of a factor since joining the Jets.

Terrelle Pryor, also a Jet, also would be available. He'll be 31 next season so... I doubt they'd be interested.

Cordarrelle Patterson would be free but I don't think he's a real big "process" guy.

Kevin White out of Chicago... this is an interesting one. Injuries have completely derailed the start of his career but he's still only 27 and does have a lot of athletic ability. But is he made of glass? Can't say I'd be surprised if they kicked the tires on him.

Mike Wallace, he'll be 34 by next off-season so I think they'd pass.

Chris Hogan, Bills board LEJUND will have completed his time in New England. He'll be 31 next season. Still has some left in the tank, I think. Not sure if this staff has high grades on him.

Cole Beasley... Bills already have a small, shifty receiver in Ray-Ray McCloud and will probably continue to develop him as opposed to signing a guy with similar size and skill set.

Quincy Enunwa from the Jets will be available. This one interests me, guy came outta nowhere a couple years ago and burned a Rex-led Bills team on Thursday night (if I recall correctly). Great route runner with sure hands, will be 27 or 28. However, he's currently a captain with the Jets so I can see the Jets making him an offer this season, unless they think they can do better or plan to look elsewhere. But he'd be a guy I'd bring in.

There are a bunch more names but I'll just list the ones that stick out...

Cody Latimer - former early 2nd round pick of the Broncos, currently with the Giants and hasn't produced much of anything, but that Giants offense seems to be spinning its wheels so, who knows.

Philip Dorsett - former first-round guy, on the smaller side, speed is his game but he struggles to shake off tough press coverage. Currently in New England with 19 receptions for 190 yards and 2 scores. Would be a very manageable contract.

Devin Funchess - ah, the Carolina connection. He's only 25, as big as KB but plays a lot harder, which is why Carolina had no problem trading KB. He started kinda slow over his first two years but last season was their #1 guy, caught 63 balls for 840 yards and 8 touchdowns. And he'll only be 26 next season. Four years in the can, still only 26, coming off his rookie deal... exactly the situation McBeane seems to look for when signing free agents. Wouldn't surprise me.

De'Anthony Thomas - Will be finishing up his rookie deal and be 26 next season. Probably not a #1 WR but definitly an upgrade over what Buffalo has in terms of WR depth. And he's been buried behind an all-star lineup of Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and Travis Kelce. Keep an eye on this one. They may see him as a young guy they can still develop. 

Justin Hunter - Hey, look at this guy. Former second round pick. Actually played fairly well for the Bills in what...2016? Has never lived up to the early 2nd-round pick that Tennessee used on him. Big dude, can high point the ball well (caught 10 passes for the Bills, 4 of them being TDs) but has never broke more than 30 receptions in a season. I think he struggles a lot to separate and the Bills already have enough of those guys.

Other names: Jordan Matthews (been there, done that), Aldrick Robinson (playing well this year but will be 31 next season), Josh Gordon (not really the "process" type), Kendall Wright (former 2nd round pick, will be 30 next season), Michael Floyd (has never lived up to his 1st round status and has had loads of off-field issues), Chris Conley (this one is intriguing, still only 26 years old, former 3rd round pick, and like De'Anthony Thomas, buried on KC's depth chart, keep an eye on this one), Geronimo Allison (will be 26 next year but Aaron Rodgers loves the guy so I could see him kinda banging the table for the Packers to retain him but if not, he's a 6'3" 215 lb. target that can get open. Would be worth a look), and after that it's a bunch of no-name guys.

I was kinda confused by OPs post, but as for Centers, I was hoping Ali Marpet from Tampa Bay would be available. He plays guard down there but he's a versatile interior OL that can play both guard spots as well as center. However, Tampa Bay just extended his deal for another 3 years so that's out. Other than him, Ryan Kalil (Carolina connection!) will be available, but he'll be 35 next season. Still, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him in and also drafted a guy in the middle rounds to develop behind Kalil, who would provide a solid veteran presence. But, I think his situation is similar to Eric Wood's, he's played his entire career in Carolina and may just keep doing one-year deals to remain with the team until he decides to hang it up. Then there's Mitch Morse and Matt Paradis, after that it's a lot of backup players. Maybe they try to bring back Adam Redmond? I heard they were high on him and wanted to develop him but he was claimed before they could stash him on the PS. They may just continue to roll with Bodine, at least he's experienced, and try to upgrade one or both of the guard spots. Maybe they should upgrade the OL coach too if they still look like a trainwreck by the end of the year.

Hope this helped. Spotrac is yo friend.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I hope so too! In fact i wouldn't be upset if they only added one 2nd tier WR if it meant they used their resources to upgrade 3 OL spots.  

with all these resources, 10 draft picks and a ton of cap space there is no reason they cannot get talented free agents and some solid rookies.   Package those middle and late rounders and move up we need 3-4 starters in the draft and 2-3 free agents that can start.   If they can't manage that with all that someone should be canned. 

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

We all hope so, but with Castillo coaching the line, how much hope can we have for any rookie we draft? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

The free agent wide receivers available next off-season aren't awe-inspiring, really. And based on the free agents they've signed so far, it seems like they look for guys coming off their rookie deals. Which is smart, it gives you a player in his prime age (25, 26, 27) but still has 3-5 years under his belt.

Larry Fitzgerald is the top one but I'm sure he'd rather retire than play elsewhere.

Randall Cobb will be an FA but has dealt with a number of injuries over the last few years and is currently making $10 mil a year. Obviously, he won't get that again seeing how he's 29, but he'll try and I don't think Buffalo would be willing to come close to what he wants.

Donte Moncrief could be available, he's on a one-year deal in Jacksonville right now and has actually played pretty well for them so they may extend him during the season, who knows.

Tavon Austin would be available but no thank you.

Golden Tate would be a great addition but he's 31, so unless they bring him in to be like the "elder statesman" of the WR group, that's the only way I can see it happening. He's quietly had big numbers year after year so I think any young receiver would benefit in learning from him.

Ryant Grant from Indy could be a possibility. He's 27 and on a one-year prove it deal. So far he's played really well in Indy, has 24 catches for 246 yards and a score. He might be a name to keep an eye on.

John Brown from Baltimore will be available. He said earlier this year that his decision came down to the Bills and Ravens and he chose to go with the team not in a rebuild, can't blame him. Dude is a legit deep threat, has 19 receptions for 396 yards, a nearly 21 yard average per reception. He'll be 29 or 30 next year so, we'll see if they circle back to him and try again.

Jermaine Kearse formerly of Seattle and currently with the Jets would be available. Seems like his best play was in Seattle though as he hasn't been much of a factor since joining the Jets.

Terrelle Pryor, also a Jet, also would be available. He'll be 31 next season so... I doubt they'd be interested.

Cordarrelle Patterson would be free but I don't think he's a real big "process" guy.

Kevin White out of Chicago... this is an interesting one. Injuries have completely derailed the start of his career but he's still only 27 and does have a lot of athletic ability. But is he made of glass? Can't say I'd be surprised if they kicked the tires on him.

Mike Wallace, he'll be 34 by next off-season so I think they'd pass.

Chris Hogan, Bills board LEJUND will have completed his time in New England. He'll be 31 next season. Still has some left in the tank, I think. Not sure if this staff has high grades on him.

Cole Beasley... Bills already have a small, shifty receiver in Ray-Ray McCloud and will probably continue to develop him as opposed to signing a guy with similar size and skill set.

Quincy Enunwa from the Jets will be available. This one interests me, guy came outta nowhere a couple years ago and burned a Rex-led Bills team on Thursday night (if I recall correctly). Great route runner with sure hands, will be 27 or 28. However, he's currently a captain with the Jets so I can see the Jets making him an offer this season, unless they think they can do better or plan to look elsewhere. But he'd be a guy I'd bring in.

There are a bunch more names but I'll just list the ones that stick out...

Cody Latimer - former early 2nd round pick of the Broncos, currently with the Giants and hasn't produced much of anything, but that Giants offense seems to be spinning its wheels so, who knows.

Philip Dorsett - former first-round guy, on the smaller side, speed is his game but he struggles to shake off tough press coverage. Currently in New England with 19 receptions for 190 yards and 2 scores. Would be a very manageable contract.

Devin Funchess - ah, the Carolina connection. He's only 25, as big as KB but plays a lot harder, which is why Carolina had no problem trading KB. He started kinda slow over his first two years but last season was their #1 guy, caught 63 balls for 840 yards and 8 touchdowns. And he'll only be 26 next season. Four years in the can, still only 26, coming off his rookie deal... exactly the situation McBeane seems to look for when signing free agents. Wouldn't surprise me.

De'Anthony Thomas - Will be finishing up his rookie deal and be 26 next season. Probably not a #1 WR but definitly an upgrade over what Buffalo has in terms of WR depth. And he's been buried behind an all-star lineup of Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and Travis Kelce. Keep an eye on this one. They may see him as a young guy they can still develop. 

Justin Hunter - Hey, look at this guy. Former second round pick. Actually played fairly well for the Bills in what...2016? Has never lived up to the early 2nd-round pick that Tennessee used on him. Big dude, can high point the ball well (caught 10 passes for the Bills, 4 of them being TDs) but has never broke more than 30 receptions in a season. I think he struggles a lot to separate and the Bills already have enough of those guys.

Other names: Jordan Matthews (been there, done that), Aldrick Robinson (playing well this year but will be 31 next season), Josh Gordon (not really the "process" type), Kendall Wright (former 2nd round pick, will be 30 next season), Michael Floyd (has never lived up to his 1st round status and has had loads of off-field issues), Chris Conley (this one is intriguing, still only 26 years old, former 3rd round pick, and like De'Anthony Thomas, buried on KC's depth chart, keep an eye on this one), Geronimo Allison (will be 26 next year but Aaron Rodgers loves the guy so I could see him kinda banging the table for the Packers to retain him but if not, he's a 6'3" 215 lb. target that can get open. Would be worth a look), and after that it's a bunch of no-name guys.

I was kinda confused by OPs post, but as for Centers, I was hoping Ali Marpet from Tampa Bay would be available. He plays guard down there but he's a versatile interior OL that can play both guard spots as well as center. However, Tampa Bay just extended his deal for another 3 years so that's out. Other than him, Ryan Kalil (Carolina connection!) will be available, but he'll be 35 next season. Still, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him in and also drafted a guy in the middle rounds to develop behind Kalil, who would provide a solid veteran presence. But, I think his situation is similar to Eric Wood's, he's played his entire career in Carolina and may just keep doing one-year deals to remain with the team until he decides to hang it up. Then there's Mitch Morse and Matt Paradis, after that it's a lot of backup players. Maybe they try to bring back Adam Redmond? I heard they were high on him and wanted to develop him but he was claimed before they could stash him on the PS. They may just continue to roll with Bodine, at least he's experienced, and try to upgrade one or both of the guard spots. Maybe they should upgrade the OL coach too if they still look like a trainwreck by the end of the year.

Hope this helped. Spotrac is yo friend.

Thanks for the write up! Went through the Spotrac lists myself and thought Funchess would be a great WR add to match a WR draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd. Doubtful (even with the Carolina-Buffalo pipeline) unless Carolina picks up another receiver or Funchess would rather try his worth elsewhere, but I would prefer this signing to most other FA's out there for next year. He could still demand a decent penny though given his age and upside.

I like the idea of Kalil for a year or two, but agree it's not likely - I'd honestly only pick-up Paradis if anyone at all to help fill out the line. I'd prefer us to address OL and WR in the draft early this year, perhaps even in that order. I'd rather build our line through the draft and develop these guys internally. It's a cheaper method and may help to preserve an effective line for the next 3-5 years depending on rookie contracts and how they pan out performance wise.

Need to look into the OL draft, but I'd love OL in the 1st round, and AJ or other top WR in the 2nd.

Edited by ctk232
  • Thank you (+1) 1