Former Bills Scapegoat DC Dennis Thurman Finds Work After 3 Years

Former Bills DC Dennis Thurman has finally found a job as a Defensive Coordinator in Bill Polian’s AAF.  

If you remember Thurman was famously the scapegoat for Rex Ryan’s incompetence at running the Bills defense.  He demoted after the 2015 season and replaced by Rob Ryan who turned out to be worse.  Thurman has not coached in the NFL since

https://aaf.com/memphis-express-coaching-staff-set-to-take-off/

Edited by GreatComeback
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GreatComeback said:

Former Bills DC Dennis Thurman has finally found a job as a Defensive Coordinator in Bill Polian’s AAF.  

If you remember Thurman was famously the scapegoat for Rex Ryan’s incompetence at running the Bills defense.  He was fired after the 2015 season and replaced by Rob Ryan who turned out to be worse.  Thurman has not coached in the NFL since

https://aaf.com/memphis-express-coaching-staff-set-to-take-off/

200w.webp

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I agree that he was DC in name only, but woundn't call him the scapegoat as everyone knew Rex and the 2nd year Rob were running the D.  For the most part don't recall hearing anyone ever try and blame Thruman, everyone blamed the Ryan boys for everything..

Rex made him the scapegoat by demoting him and relaxing his with Robb.

1 minute ago, GreatComeback said:

Rex made him the scapegoat by demoting him and relaxing his with Robb.

Except he didn't get demoted, he was still the DC and don't recall Rex Thurman in anyway or blaming him for anything. 

So if he wasn't demoted and never blamed for anything by Rex or most others in the press (everyone knew Rex was in charge) how exactly was he the scapegoat?

19 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Hummm.... guess I won't be seeing him doing Cowboys post game here on local TV.

I grew up in South Garland in the 70's and 80's when he played cb for the Cowboys..He was a decent cb. 

1 hour ago, fridge said:

David Lee was named their QB Coach.  The man is a living miracle. Over 40 years of pro-level QB coaching and hardly a single talented QB to hang on the resume.

I thought Romo was his saving grace

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Except he didn't get demoted, he was still the DC and don't recall Rex Thurman in anyway or blaming him for anything. 

So if he wasn't demoted and never blamed for anything by Rex or most others in the press (everyone knew Rex was in charge) how exactly was he the scapegoat?

Rex never blamed him by name but my understanding is the "we know what really happened" comment after the 10 players Miami debacle was aimed at Dennis Thurman despite the fact that Rob was calling the D. Because the Ryans are never wrong. Period. 

Rob is actually doing TV over here in the UK as Sky's main studio analyst. He did a guest spot last year and they seem to have him back as a permanent feature in 2018. He is pretty good at it in truth. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex never blamed him by name but my understanding is the "we know what really happened" comment after the 10 players Miami debacle was aimed at Dennis Thurman despite the fact that Rob was calling the D. Because the Ryans are never wrong. Period. 

Rob is actually doing TV over here in the UK as Sky's main studio analyst. He did a guest spot last year and they seem to have him back as a permanent feature in 2018. He is pretty good at it in truth. 

Exactly Rex was feeling a lot of pressure after the #4 ranked defense took a dive.  He obviously wasn’t going to fire himself or his pal Dennis Thurman.  But he did bring Rob Ryan on the staff to basically be the defensive coordinator - whether in title or not.  By most accounts it was seen as a demotion for Thurman.