Derek Anderson signed; Peterman QB2 week 6; Anderson Presser

YoloinOhio

30 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's implicit that if you have a veteran QB on your team there is no need to bring in another one to "mentor." 

The Bills knew they were drafting a rookie and they brought in McCarron as a veteran. Then they just traded him which was stupid. 

The Jets knew they were drafting a QB and they re-signed McCown specifically for that role. 

The Browns knew they were drafting a QB and they specifically brought in Tyrod to start right away and mentor Mayfield. They said it publicly. 

The Cards knew they were drafting a QB and they signed Bradford as the vet for one season. 

The Bears knew they were drafting a QB but ( stupidly) signed Glennon who had already played three years to be the veteran so they wouldn't have to start the rookie. 

The Rams had Keenum and started him so they didn't have to start the rookie Goff. 

The Eagles had Bradford and Chase Daniel who had played six seasons when they drafted Wentz but they traded Bradford when Bridgewater got hurt. 

The Bills were the only team that didn't have a veteran around to help the rookie. Mettenberger and the Titans four years ago was a good answer of a team that didn't, and while I wasn't thinking specially about them, I knew that once in a great while it happened so I said "virtually" every team. And every single one of them is also there to mentor the rookie. Some do it begrudgingly. 

Taylor had no plan to mentor Mayfield.  You can't argue persuasively otherwise.  He wants that job back. 

Maccarron was not there to mentor Allen--he was there to be the starter in week 1, as McD had planned to not start Allen until who knows when.  That's until McD's goofball decision to go with NP as his veteran week 1 starter.

The Cardinals didn't pay Bradford 20 million (15 fully guaranteed) for one year to be a mentor to Rosen.  And he has no intention of doing that.  They brought him in to be the starter.

So if you want to modify your contention to: 

"many teams have QBs already on the roster when they draft a rookie QB and most of those QBs are guys who are likely still legitimate starters or are guys too young themselves to provide any meaningful mentoring to a rookie and that situations like the Bills, where a truly seasoned vet with no aspirations to be a starter other than cases of injury to the rookie starter is already on the roster, or is brought in by the team....is a very rare occurrence"

---then I will agree with you as that would be the accurate description the circumstances surrounding this signing.

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Taylor had no plan to mentor Mayfield.  You can't argue persuasively otherwise.  He wants that job back. 

Maccarron was not there to mentor Allen--he was there to be the starter in week 1, as McD had planned to not start Allen until who knows when.  That's until McD's goofball decision to go with NP as his veteran week 1 starter.

The Cardinals didn't pay Bradford 20 million (15 fully guaranteed) for one year to be a mentor to Rosen.  And he has no intention of doing that.  They brought him in to be the starter.

So if you want to modify your contention to: 

"many teams have QBs already on the roster when they draft a rookie QB and most of those QBs are guys who are likely still legitimate starters or are guys too young themselves to provide any meaningful mentoring to a rookie and that situations like the Bills, where a truly seasoned vet with no aspirations to be a starter other than cases of injury to the rookie starter is already on the roster, or is brought in by the team....is a very rare occurrence"

---then I will agree with you as that would be the accurate description the circumstances surrounding this signing.

Both the Bills and McCarron said publicly that they want him to help Josh and McCarron said he is happy to do so. The Browns and Taylor and Mayfield all said publicly that Tyrod was there to help Mayfield and show him how to be a pro on and off the field and Mayfield went out of his way before Tyrod was benched to say how great he has been to him in that regard. So you can go on believing whatever you want. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Both the Bills and McCarron said publicly that they want him to help Josh and McCarron said he is happy to do so. The Browns and Taylor and Mayfield all said publicly that Tyrod was there to help Mayfield and show him how to be a pro on and off the field and Mayfield went out of his way before Tyrod was benched to say how great he has been to him in that regard. So you can go on believing whatever you want. 

They said what they all say, what they are supposed to say.  They say what the GM and owner know the fans want to hear--that this veteran Qb is a benign presence who in no way is meant to see significant starting time this or next season.

But TT and AJM fully expected themselves to be week 1 starters, not grizzled and wise mentors for rookies.  Obviously the same is true for Bradford. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They said what they all say, what they are supposed to say.  They say what the GM and owner know the fans want to hear--that this veteran Qb is a benign presence who in no way is meant to see significant starting time this or next season.

But TT and AJM fully expected themselves to be week 1 starters, not grizzled and wise mentors for rookies.  Obviously the same is true for Bradford. 

Every player in the entire league thinks they should play and wants to start and play as much as possible.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Derek Anderson doesn't.  

You mean except that he emphatically said that of course he really wants to play in his first interview here. But go ahead and say he's a liar and you know he doesn't really want to play because, well... just because you say so.

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

....the McCarron trade for a coveted, envious 5th made no sense.....obvious ring rust in the 4th pre-season game, but did rebound nicely....."all set" with Peterman and Josh?...seriously....based on PeteredOut in the pre-season with rubber bullets and complex defensive schemes(COUGH)??............as far as Taylor, he left Bflo saying he could "still be a starter in this league" and Hugh anointed him early on.....I'd bet he certainly wants his starting job back and has zero interest in a mentor role......

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....the McCarron trade for a coveted, envious 5th made no sense.....obvious ring rust in the 4th pre-season game, but did rebound nicely....."all set" with Peterman and Josh?...seriously....based on PeteredOut in the pre-season with rubber bullets and complex defensive schemes(COUGH)??............as far as Taylor, he left Bflo saying he could "still be a starter in this league" and Hugh anointed him early on.....I'd bet he certainly wants his starting job back and has zero interest in a mentor role......

Josh has a long way to go, obviously. But I was all in favor of starting him right away. The idea of starting Nate even now seems so crazy, which it was. To not have a decent QB coach or veteran on the team to help him was unfathomable. There was a shot last week when Josh was on the sidelines and he was sitting alone, and instead of looking at that tablet he was seen reading the Jim Morrison biography, "No One Here Gets Out Alive."

I’m baffled by this. When they signed Anderson I thought that McDermott had finally come to his senses and signed someone who could passibly play if Allen got injured. But now it appears that they are paying Anderson to be a mentor, which should be the coaches job, while keeping Peterman as the backup, even though he has shown no signs of being able to play. I don’t get it but maybe I’ll see the light as the season progressed.

47 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

The AJM signing/trade takes second place only to the TJax signing/refusal to play/resigning/cut before training camp episode in the Bizarro World of Bills QB Handling

When it comes to explanations of why we got room for 3 QB now, but we didn't then....I got nothin'

I do think the Daboll wants very much to be the sole Svengali to Allen. 

I'm sure Taylor wants to start, but a person can want to start and work hard for that right and still be a mentor to a younger player.

10 minutes ago, vincec said:

I’m baffled by this. When they signed Anderson I thought that McDermott had finally come to his senses and signed someone who could passibly play if Allen got injured. But now it appears that they are paying Anderson to be a mentor, which should be the coaches job, while keeping Peterman as the backup, even though he has shown no signs of being able to play. I don’t get it but maybe I’ll see the light as the season progressed.

It was reported that Anderson will be the backup and play in case of injury 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's implicit that if you have a veteran QB on your team there is no need to bring in another one to "mentor." 

The Bills knew they were drafting a rookie and they brought in McCarron as a veteran. Then they just traded him which was stupid. 

The Jets knew they were drafting a QB and they re-signed McCown specifically for that role. 

The Browns knew they were drafting a QB and they specifically brought in Tyrod to start right away and mentor Mayfield. They said it publicly. 

The Cards knew they were drafting a QB and they signed Bradford as the vet for one season. 

The Bears knew they were drafting a QB but ( stupidly) signed Glennon who had already played three years to be the veteran so they wouldn't have to start the rookie. 

The Rams had Keenum and started him so they didn't have to start the rookie Goff. 

The Eagles had Bradford and Chase Daniel who had played six seasons when they drafted Wentz but they traded Bradford when Bridgewater got hurt. 

The Bills were the only team that didn't have a veteran around to help the rookie. Mettenberger and the Titans four years ago was a good answer of a team that didn't, and while I wasn't thinking specially about them, I knew that once in a great while it happened so I said "virtually" every team. And every single one of them is also there to mentor the rookie. Some do it begrudgingly. 

Yes they had AJM, BUT if hes going to be off in the corner throwing a hissy fit that he isnt the starter, what good is he? In fact, rather than potentially just being useless - he could have also hurt the room. I wasnt there to personally assess the situation, but one could certainly argue it was addition by subtraction even taking into consideration that meant no vet presence 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You mean except that he emphatically said that of course he really wants to play in his first interview here. But go ahead and say he's a liar and you know he doesn't really want to play because, well... just because you say so.

They pulled him off of his vacation couch.  He hasn't played since January.  He has no real hope of being a starter unless Allen is injured.   Then, yes, he wants to play. That's far different from AJM, Bradford, TT.....I mean you know what I'm talking about.  

You've painted yourself into a silly corner.  Wait until the paint drys and just walk out....

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They pulled him off of his vacation couch.  He hasn't played since January.  He has no real hope of being a starter unless Allen is injured.   Then, yes, he wants to play. That's far different from AJM, Bradford, TT.....I mean you know what I'm talking about.  

You've painted yourself into a silly corner.  Wait until the paint drys and just walk out....

Not really when they forced him into a corner he said of course he's going to go out there and compete as hard as he can that doesn't mean he doesn't know why he was brought here though.

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Not really when they forced him into a corner he said of course he's going to go out there and compete as hard as he can that doesn't mean he doesn't know why he was brought here though.

Anderson's not the one in the corner......