The Walking Dead and the Whisperers

24 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

For whatever reason I wasn't impressed with Alpha's debut.  IMO they messed up the back story because of Lydia's brainwashing/confusion and Alpha's accent sounded stupid.  She did not, in that brief moment seem like anyone that would be followed.  I hope they develop that a little more.  

The girl playing Lydia did a nice job but Henry would have been more careful. He looked like @Joe in Winslow seeking an online date.  

based on the comic, I mean Graphic Novel?  

Yeah, more needs to be said .. (or not, I really don't care for a backstory of them yet) 

"I am Alpha".  Big Fing deal.   You look like a loon leading a group wearing shin masks. 

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

based on the comic, I mean Graphic Novel?  

Yeah, more needs to be said .. (or not, I really don't care for a backstory of them yet) 

"I am Alpha".  Big Fing deal.   You look like a loon leading a group wearing shin masks. 

I'm loosely aware of the comic and pictured Alpha's intro differently.  They took a lot of mystery out of it too soon IMO.  I am interested in how Alpha got followed and didn't just end up dead 5 minutes after going outside.  

Even if the main group doesn't know how many there are total, why not just mow them down?  They seem all about close combat without many guns.  Just shoot them from a distance.  Maybe that would be stupid.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

For whatever reason I wasn't impressed with Alpha's debut.  IMO they messed up the back story because of Lydia's brainwashing/confusion and Alpha's accent sounded stupid.  She did not, in that brief moment seem like anyone that would be followed.  I hope they develop that a little more.  

The girl playing Lydia did a nice job but Henry would have been more careful. He looked like @Joe in Winslow seeking an online date.  

Color me confused

22 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I'm loosely aware of the comic and pictured Alpha's intro differently.  They took a lot of mystery out of it too soon IMO.  I am interested in how Alpha got followed and didn't just end up dead 5 minutes after going outside.  

Even if the main group doesn't know how many there are total, why not just mow them down?  They seem all about close combat without many guns.  Just shoot them from a distance.  Maybe that would be stupid.

I've wondered about the lack of firearms myself because Alpha wielded a double barrel shotgun, firearms get "reintroduced" later in the books and Eugene was making ammunition for the Saviors.  Considering gunpowder was invented in 850AD, it's not like you needed a modern 21st century facility to manufacture it.

Edited by dpberr

14 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

I could see Carol slipping in the face skin and  going undercover to infiltrate the Whisperers. It’s her kind of skill.

Knowing her, she'll go undercover as Alpha herself, after killing and skinning her.  She'll figure out how to graft on Alpha's face so that it functions like a real face.  Either that or she weekend at Bernies her in order to wipe them all out.

I realize what they were trying to do, play off the confusion of her childhood, but it didn't come across all that well.  Daddy's got a beard, now he doesn't have a beard, now he has a beard again... it took a little too much thought to figure that one out.

6 years later    they may not have guns and Ammo.  

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

I realize what they were trying to do, play off the confusion of her childhood, but it didn't come across all that well.  Daddy's got a beard, now he doesn't have a beard, now he has a beard again... it took a little too much thought to figure that one out.

I noticed that too and wondered if it was a F  up or on purpose.  

29 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

A guy on the show got tricked by a love interest and almost got beaten to death with a hammer.  I don't think she had time to chop him to bits.

Either  Henry gets hammered  or  Daryl was in the weeds with his crossbow ready to shoot had she cocked the hammer 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

6 years later    they may not have guns and Ammo.  

Understood, but they do have arrows so there is some distance advantage.  The other group can bring in a million walkers any time though.  Also, Judith has a gun.  I doubt they let her be the owner of the last available gun.

Understood, but they do have arrows so there is some distance advantage.  The other group can bring in a million walkers any time though.  Also, Judith has a gun.  I doubt they let her be the owner of the last available gun.

Eugene was making bullets for the Saviors and you'd have to imagine he's still doing that now.  Those would wind up going to Alexandria, but you'd have to think that someone from Hilltop would have picked up the skill over the 6 or so years.  It's all going to depend on exactly when the fallout between the communities happened.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Eugene was making bullets for the Saviors and you'd have to imagine he's still doing that now.  Those would wind up going to Alexandria, but you'd have to think that someone from Hilltop would have picked up the skill over the 6 or so years.  It's all going to depend on exactly when the fallout between the communities happened.

Six Years Prior!!!

If you recall  - all of those bullets exploded (by design) 

That was last season 

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2018/07/15/the-walking-dead-season-9-address-bullets-gas/

After eight seasons, The Walking Dead will address and correct a long-running and oft-pointed out criticism: the seeming infinite supply of gas and ammunition in the zombie apocalypse.

When audiences see the survivors next, the series will have undergone a “good time jump — big enough that the world has changed around our characters,” 

Judith is the only one I can recall tat carries a gun.  

https://undeadwalking.com/2018/08/24/walking-dead-daryl-gets-new-weapons-season-9/

With bullets in short supply on The Walking Dead the group has to find alternate means of defense, so Daryl Dixon will sport some new hardware in season 9.

The time jump in season 9 of The Walking Dead gives us a look at what the communities are like after having some time to recover from All Out War and move forward. We’ve seen crops and new buildings, and wagons and horses. The gas is gone, so that means cars are scarce. Weaponry has changed as a result of the time jump as bullets become scarce, too. Survivors need new methods of defense, and Daryl Dixon has a new set of knives that are perfect for offense, and defense.

With his crossbow at the ready, Daryl has never needed to rely on guns. So long as he was able to retrieve the arrows, Daryl had an efficient weapon that didn’t make a lot of noise that was perfect for killing walkers. In season 9 he adds a set of knives to the mix, and their finger loops make them perfect for attacking from different directions.

I really hate when they have scenes in the dark. Maybe it’s my old eyes, but I can’t make out a lot of what’s going on.

Why not mow the Whisperers down?  Next week’s preview shows that one of them is carrying a baby, and they have the two hostages.  Alpha says they’ll leave if they give them her daughter.

9 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

I really hate when they have scenes in the dark. Maybe it’s my old eyes, but I can’t make out a lot of what’s going on.

Why not mow the Whisperers down?  Next week’s preview shows that one of them is carrying a baby, and they have the two hostages.  Alpha says they’ll leave if they give them her daughter.

lousy writing by the comic book creator???   LOL 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Six Years Prior!!!

If you recall  - all of those bullets exploded (by design) 

I'm not really sure how you missed the fact that I acknowledge the time jump in every single sentence in that short post.  Eugene sabotaging the bullets shouldn't have any impact on him going back to making them after that.  Yes they'll have less of them over time and they'll be lower quality, but at the very least Alexandria is going to still have a supply.  The story has hovered around Hilltop primarily, so we really haven't seen all that much from the other places.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'm not really sure how you missed the fact that I acknowledge the time jump in every single sentence in that short post.  Eugene sabotaging the bullets shouldn't have any impact on him going back to making them after that.  Yes they'll have less of them over time and they'll be lower quality, but at the very least Alexandria is going to still have a supply.  The story has hovered around Hilltop primarily, so we really haven't seen all that much from the other places.

They were short on bullets and materials before Sanctuary fell.   Why waste a bullet when a machete, spear or arrow works just as well?  

Guns make noise and draw attention. 

They were short on bullets and materials before Sanctuary fell.   Why waste a bullet when a machete, spear or arrow works just as well?  

Guns make noise and draw attention. 

At the same time, if bullets are a precious resource, why let the 7 year run around with them?

On 2/19/2019 at 6:27 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Stupidity 

plain in and simple.  Who the F lets a 7 year old roam free?  

Crappy writing 

The lack of firearms and ammunition is lousy, uneducated writing, I agree, considering the locale of the entire show.  Virginia is home to numerous ammunition and weapons manufacturers, not to mention several large military bases.  Even if it's a few years post apocalypse, materials and equipment are still around, even if you could only make .22 caliber munitions.  

Eugene was making ammunition for the Saviors and gunpowder can be created.

Last night I saw Ezekiel had one of those fancy new Beretta FS92A3s in a thigh holster which is a major plot error as they would have never been invented in that timeline.    I think as TWD goes on, the firearms inconsistency will be a major plot hole for anyone who cares about the details.  haha.  

I figure they want to make the Whisperers scary and they aren't scary at all if your hunting parties are armed with 21st Century firearms.    

Edited by dpberr

20 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I figure they want to make the Whisperers scary and they aren't scary at all if your hunting parties are armed with 21st Century firearms.    

On that note, I think they revealed Alpha a bit too early.  A little bit of a cloud of mystery around their big bad leader could have gone a long way.

This show has fallen off over the past few seasons. I’ve been in it from episode one  back when my college buddies and I would look forward to Sunday evenings with TWD and too much beer. Part of the excitement for me was that it was about surviving the apocalypse and the walkers. Now that has been maneuvered and spent, it just doesn’t have the same excitement factor as it once had (Herschel’s Farm, the prison).

As related to this latest time jump (six years, correct?) I am also disappointed by the development of the communities. They should be much more well defended and prepared. 

I really don't have any complaints about yesterday.  The only thing that bugged me was Connie roaming through the corn field with no sound playing seemed a bit hokey to me.  Yeah, we all know she's deaf, but it didn't really seem necessary.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I really don't have any complaints about yesterday.  The only thing that bugged me was Connie roaming through the corn field with no sound playing seemed a bit hokey to me.  Yeah, we all know she's deaf, but it didn't really seem necessary.

I liked it.....made me feel like I was feeling what she was feeling

by the way.....she hot

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I haven't picked this back up again since the new season started...worth it or nah?

Judith is worth some entertainment.  

New enemy tie in.  It may get interesting this week 

IMO a decent opener  2 of the last 3 were worthy entertainment 

Negan.  Let me out.. I can be a good enforcer for Alexandria 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, shrader said:

So what exactly did Alpha use that cut through the woman's spine like butter?  I don't usually care about stuff like this, but that was a bit ridiculous.

A Magically infused Wire?

yes, it was  a bit ridiculous

I wanted Lydia to stab Alpha when she was told to kill Henry  

Beta was holding Henry and may not have been able to stop her. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

11 hours ago, Bandito said:

yea then beta survives that ridiculous fall geesh

LOL  

I knew before he fell he'd live   though he did bounce a few times to soften the blow ...  it was only 2 floors 

the bigger crock was the Highwaymen.  There has to be a story there right?  

58 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL  

I knew before he fell he'd live   though he did bounce a few times to soften the blow ...  it was only 2 floors 

the bigger crock was the Highwaymen.  There has to be a story there right?  

I liked the way that played out with the Highwaymen, who doesn't like a good movie. Stealing corn and apples is easy, but you just can't run off with a movie.

They didn't strike me as savior killer types, why wouldn't they jump at a chance to get back to a somewhat normal life?

42 minutes ago, Gary M said:

I liked the way that played out with the Highwaymen, who doesn't like a good movie. Stealing corn and apples is easy, but you just can't run off with a movie.

They didn't strike me as savior killer types, why wouldn't they jump at a chance to get back to a somewhat normal life?

the premise was just weak IMO.   It was just too easy. 

Joining up was the easy way out, the bad guy to good guy was just too quick

the premise was just weak IMO.   It was just too easy. 

Joining up was the easy way out, the bad guy to good guy was just too quick

I didn't see them as bad guys as much as I saw them as desperate guys. They didn't seem like they wanted a fight.