Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I didn't watch the presser but was he asked a specific question with his name?

No.  This particular jab was in response to a question about Cole and  Symir.  He also criticized Benny’s offensive game earlier in the presser.  To be fair to JB, I thought all his criticism was fair up until this point.  As head coach, however, he needs to take responsibility and avoid calling out individual players.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

IDGAF, the head coach shouldn’t be calling individual players in post game pressers.  Poor form by JB.  He coached a ***** game too.

Agreed. it is total bush league, especially with a freshman. Give the kid a break, and coach him up; don’t publicly reprimand him after the second game of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/20/2021 at 10:06 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Didn’t see the game, but am

shocked by the score. Anyone see it? 

Oh I saw it.

Scary stuff. Outside of Edwards and Girard, it seemed as if the rest of the players were deliberately trying to avoid getting rebounds. And with Edwards, he just doesn't know how to catch the ball well so there were a lot of instances where Colgate's guards and big man were able to just take the ball out of his hands to get another possession.

Benny had a really nice finish at the rim that showed off his athleticism, but outside of that, he was a total liability on the offensive end of the floor. Symir continues to show that we probably need Girard to give us a good 35 minutes every game; Symir can't shoot and can't finish at the rim. Colgate was pretty much double teaming anyone they wanted by abandoning Symir whenever he was in the game and the only way he was able to score was to rebound his own misses.

Swider got in foul trouble and his shooting slump has continued, but I think he was mostly fine and seems like it's just a matter of time before his shots start dropping again.

Girard was once again great. Buddy was pretty much his usual self (not the NCAA Tournament version of himself, but just the pretty good version). We eventually tried to play Jimmy at C due to Edwards/Ansalem's struggles and it didn't help in any way; he's just too soft to play in the middle of the zone.

I suspect this team will still be pretty solid this year, but the C play and backup PG minutes will likely decide if we're just a bubble team again or something more.

• Thank you (+1) 1

ESPN needs to come up with something better than bumping all their games down a network when they have overtimes.  Tuning in to watch Cuse and getting stuck with f’n Wisconsin with no one mentioning the fact that the reason Syracuse isn’t on yet because of said overtime is plain stupid.  A litttle banner scrolling across the screen or the announcers saying something at any point would be nice.  It’s a billion dollar network owned by a trillion dollar enterprise.  Figure this ***** out idiots. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

ESPN needs to come up with something better than bumping all their games down a network when they have overtimes.  Tuning in to watch Cuse and getting stuck with f’n Wisconsin with no one mentioning the fact that the reason Syracuse isn’t on yet because of said overtime is plain stupid.  A litttle banner scrolling across the screen or the announcers saying something at any point would be nice.  It’s a billion dollar network owned by a trillion dollar enterprise.  Figure this ***** out idiots. 

This is inexcusable. Most of us DVR these games.  I avoid media all day and then haven’t even recorded the right game.

that said, I was able to see it later on ESPN app replay. And it was a sloppy mess of a game. 

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is inexcusable. Most of us DVR these games.  I avoid media all day and then haven’t even recorded the right game.

that said, I was able to see it later on ESPN app replay. And it was a sloppy mess of a game. 

Thoughts on the game?

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thoughts on the game?

I thought VCU’s defense was physical and aggressive, and it really led to a lot of bad turnovers and sloppy offense by Syracuse. Seemed like a lot of their jumpers were not in rhythm, and even when they had open looks, they were out of sorts and missing. Swider had a lot of good open looks and is just missing.

i thought the defense looked pretty good for most of the game, until VCU figured out how to really get close to the basket and kick it back from the middle to wide open shooters.  Edwards getting into foul trouble didn’t help, though at least 2 of his fouls were super weak calls.

You see any of it? 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I thought VCU’s defense was physical and aggressive, and it really led to a lot of bad turnovers and sloppy offense by Syracuse. Seemed like a lot of their jumpers were not in rhythm, and even when they had open looks, they were out of sorts and missing. Swider had a lot of good open looks and is just missing.

i thought the defense looked pretty good for most of the game, until VCU figured out how to really get close to the basket and kick it back from the middle to wide open shooters.  Edwards getting into foul trouble didn’t help, though at least 2 of his fouls were super weak calls.

You see any of it? 

Unfortunately I was busy today

Very rarely Miss SU games... That's why I was asking for your opinion

Swider eventually knocking down the shots we know he usually makes should improve things a lot, but at the end of the day, this team has too many uncorrectable issues to be more than a bubble team IMO. Three years in and Girard still folds against ball pressure and he’s our only ball handler (outside of Torrence who is pretty much unplayable right now).

Benny being a complete liability on the offensive end so far has really hurt our upside. 

Edited by DCOrange

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Swider eventually knocking down the shots we know he usually makes should improve things a lot, but at the end of the day, this team has too many uncorrectable issues to be more than a bubble team IMO. Three years in and Girard still folds against ball pressure and he’s our only ball handler (outside of Torrence who is pretty much unplayable right now).

Benny being a complete liability on the offensive end so far has really hurt our upside. 

I'm honestly not shocked by that though

Yeah he was a borderline five star recruit and billed as a future NBA player 

But he had a lot to learn about how to play in a real offensive system and not just use his athletic gifts.. which basically every division one basketball player is a pretty good athlete 

he has a flat jump shot and is not particularly consistent.. but Jim has always been great at developing and I'm sure he will correct that but in time

• Buffalo716 changed the title to Syracuse Basketball 2021-2022
Just now, DCOrange said:

Another hideous performance. I’ll never understand the people that thought this might be a top 25 team. There just isn’t much talent here and the talent we have doesn’t fit together to form a team. 

Definitely a super weak start to the season 

But Jim always gets the team to improve as the season goes on 

Definitely not looking good right now... They definitely aren't gelling right now

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Definitely a super weak start to the season 

But Jim always gets the team to improve as the season goes on 

Definitely not looking good right now... They definitely aren't gelling right now

Eventually he’ll stop taking all our scorers off the floor at the same time and starting mixing our talent around a bit and that will help but it just isn’t a very talented bunch to begin with. 

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Had a couple friends that went down to Battle for Atlantis.  Wife and I were thinking about making the trip, but I sure am glad we decided against it.  The Bahamas are nice and everything, but ***** that was some horrible basketball.  ACC play should be a real treat.  🤢🤮

i don’t know why I do it, but I have been checking how Kadary Richmond has been doing. Seton Hall is 4-1, with a win over Michigan. Richmond getting about 20 minutes per game. 

Maybe he did make the right decision.

But, boy, could we really use him. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i don’t know why I do it, but I have been checking how Kadary Richmond has been doing. Seton Hall is 4-1, with a win over Michigan. Richmond getting about 20 minutes per game. 

Yeah, having a point guard is important.  Yet another Boeheim screw job.  JG3 is a shooting guard at best, and Symir is just not good.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, having a point guard is important.  Yet another Boeheim screw job.  JG3 is a shooting guard at best, and Symir is just not good.

Agreed. Watching our guards being unable to bring the ball up the court against pressure this past week is embarrassing. Plus, Symir and JG give us nothing at the top of the zone on defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I've watched some of their games

Richmond is not playing that good.. playing the same amount of minutes he got here and he's not shooting well 

I wish we still had him but it's not like he's lighting the world on fire 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Miyagi-Do Karate 

Even guerrier isn't playing good for Oregon.. significantly looks worse

Jim really does get the best out of his guys and coaches them up well

Statistically the best looking guy that left is Robert braswell

thanks for the updates. I will never understand Guerrier’s thought process. 

i actually am happy for Braswell. I still think he could have gotten major minutes this year— but as I recall, he also wanted to be close to his family, and by going to a mid major, he was at least positioned to get a ton of PT. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Miyagi-Do Karate 

Just my opinion, but JB has really “phoned it in” since around the time of the NCAA sanctions.  Watching him throw Benny under the bus in his presser just further reinforced this for me.  

I think he should take a cue from Coach K and retire.  This program needs something new.  He’s got a pretty solid ‘22 recruiting class coming in and he’s going to blow it.  We’re staring directly down the barrel at a losing season.  He mishandled many players including Kadary, but always gets the benefit of the doubt.

Love Jim for being a legend.  A hero of mine since I have memories of Syracuse basketball.  He’s done IMO.  Time to move on.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Kadary has mostly struggled for Seton Hall, including losing his starting spot already. This team would look so much better if we had someone like him that can beat his man off the dribble and get into the paint though. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Miyagi-Do Karate 

I think we pretty much all knew Boeheim was playing Guerrier to his strengths. The issue is that Guerrier wanted an opportunity to expand his game to show off NBA traits. Unfortunately I just think he doesn’t have NBA traits. Shocked how bad Oregon has been as a whole though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Just my opinion, but JB has really “phoned it in” since around the time of the NCAA sanctions.  Watching him throw Benny under the bus in his presser just further reinforced this for me.  

I think he should take a cue from Coach K and retire.  This program needs something new.  He’s got a pretty solid ‘22 recruiting class coming in and he’s going to blow it.  We’re staring directly down the barrel at a losing season.  He mishandled many players including Kadary, but always gets the benefit of the doubt.

Love Jim for being a legend.  A hero of mine since I have memories of Syracuse basketball.  He’s done IMO.  Time to move on.

Once his sons are gone he will be looking to move on imo.

The question will be, who replaces him? Will Hop come back? (Havent heard much about how he is doing out west)

21 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think JB is struggling with his sons on the team.  It could just be my view from the nosebleeds but it seems that Jimmy has a terrible turnover that would normally lead to a hook and he gets to stay out there.  It then cascades to Buddy who has very questionable shot selection at times.  The leash both have seems much longer than the other players.  I have no idea what kind of offense they are running most of the time as it doesn't seem like there is one besides give Buddy the ball.  I would be interested to hear if there is turmoil on this team behind the scenes.

Talent isn't lacking on this team imo more noticeable is a lack of effort.  Colgate was getting every loose ball, chasing rebounds, and had no business winning that game other than they seemed to want it more.  I couldn't even make it all the way through the VCU game as I watched more of the same.

It isn't even the ACC season yet and I've already thought about giving up my seasons next year.  Outside of the final poll last year they haven't been ranked in the top 25 for 3 years.  I don't see them getting into the top 25 this year either.

On a side note I think Swider is playing better than his numbers show.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, section122 said:

I think JB is struggling with his sons on the team.  It could just be my view from the nosebleeds but it seems that Jimmy has a terrible turnover that would normally lead to a hook and he gets to stay out there.  It then cascades to Buddy who has very questionable shot selection at times.  The leash both have seems much longer than the other players.  I have no idea what kind of offense they are running most of the time as it doesn't seem like there is one besides give Buddy the ball.  I would be interested to hear if there is turmoil on this team behind the scenes.

Talent isn't lacking on this team imo more noticeable is a lack of effort.  Colgate was getting every loose ball, chasing rebounds, and had no business winning that game other than they seemed to want it more.  I couldn't even make it all the way through the VCU game as I watched more of the same.

It isn't even the ACC season yet and I've already thought about giving up my seasons next year.  Outside of the final poll last year they haven't been ranked in the top 25 for 3 years.  I don't see them getting into the top 25 this year either.

On a side note I think Swider is playing better than his numbers show.

Jim's offense have been the same forever 

He lets his players play to their strengths and basically do what they want on the court to a degree  

Unfortunately we really don't have anybody who could take it to the rack consistently so we have to settle for a lot of jump shots

Buddy does Chuck up a lot of shots but he really can make them in bunches

And by all accounts including the players, Jim is tougher on his kids than anybody on the team

I think the problem with the team is lack of athleticism , which leads to a lack of defense in the 2-3 zone.. and rebounding problems

The team will figure out how to score 

Buddy Joe and Jim are solid basketball players but not exactly top acc athletes in basketball.. swider is probably In that category 

Benny is a great athlete but not there yet as a player.. Edwards is definitely a good athlete tho 

We just don't have the size speed athleticism combo that we've had in the past

Especially at the guard and Wing positions

Edited by Buffalo716

We don’t have a point guard.  Plain and simple.  Neither JG3 or Symir are good enough ball handlers, and neither are going to create much off the dribble.  We have some shooters, but no one who can consistently drive, draw defenders, and dish.  Kadary COULD do that.  Our so called offense is essentially crippled.  

We’re also hurting at the C and PF positions.  Jesse has been okay, but there is no depth and he is going to get drubbed by more physical ACC centers.  I would say that this team does seem to lack aggressiveness as a whole.  Not going to be a pretty season, gang.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

We don’t have a point guard.  Plain and simple.  Neither JG3 or Symir are good enough ball handlers, and neither are going to create much off the dribble.  We have some shooters, but no one who can consistently drive, draw defenders, and dish.  Kadary COULD do that.  Our so called offense is essentially crippled.  

We’re also hurting at the C and PF positions.  Jesse has been okay, but there is no depth and he is going to get drubbed by more physical ACC centers.  I would say that this team does seem to lack aggressiveness as a whole.  Not going to be a pretty season, gang.

No depth again ..

Symir adds nothing rn .. no SG depth 

Outside of Edwards who is solid but not strong we have no real size 

Ughh