Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

That was a beat down from the tip. And Tech only had 8 guys dressed, some pressure could have really worn on them.  

Seems half the games I watch in NCAA one team shows up with 7 players.

Kansas tried to go with 6 at Kentucky

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly why even tune into SU regular season basketball games?

Syracuse just needs to get into the NCAA Tournament in whatever fashion.

At that point they're going to make their inevitable "improbable" run to the Sweet 16 or beyond.

I think Boeheim is very transparent about his general regular season complacency and his players are a reflection of that.

Wow...Kudos to Buzz, and what he’s done with that Hokies team.  They play a tenacious and physical brand of pressure man defense. Also, Cuse isn’t going to beat too many teams that shoot 75% from 3 point range.  Tech happens to have 3 sharp shooters, and even their mediocre shooters were burying shots from NBA range.

That said, I thought JB actually made some nice adjustments at the half.  Extended the zone, and started to attack the rim with Battle and Brissett rather than chuck 3’s.  Had the Hokies on the ropes for a bit.  Unfortunately, it was not Syracuse’s night and Tech was fantastic.  Clearly that fan base is stoked up, and the house was rockin.  Good for them.  I still think we’re much better than we played last night.

Go ?

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wow...Kudos to Buzz, and what he’s done with that Hokies team.  They play a tenacious and physical brand of pressure man defense. Also, Cuse isn’t going to beat too many teams that shoot 75% from 3 point range.  Tech happens to have 3 sharp shooters, and even their mediocre shooters were burying shots from NBA range.

That said, I thought JB actually made some nice adjustments at the half.  Extended the zone, and started to attack the rim with Battle and Brissett rather than chuck 3’s.  Had the Hokies on the ropes for a bit.  Unfortunately, it was not Syracuse’s night and Tech was fantastic.  Clearly that fan base is stoked up, and the house was rockin.  Good for them.  I still think we’re much better than we played last night.

Go ?

He's one of those coaches that I really like watching.  He seems to be a really good basketball coach.  Regardless, having been in Richmond for 25 years.  F the Chokies, even if they did B word slap our orange butts

• Haha (+1) 1

For the first time in forever, both of my “sources” have no clue about Qudus Wahad.  Said he and his camp are holding their cards very close to their vest.  

My one guy who communicates with the coaches almost daily said “It looks like Georgetown, but it could be Georgetown, Pitt or Syracuse.”  Said that Stewart picking UW put Syracuse back in play (obviously).  

The most interesting part of our text exchange was learning that the coaching staff views Wahab as a very similar prospect as current ‘19 commit John Bol Ajak.  Both viewed as “4 year projects.”

FWIW....I’ll post if I learn anything else between now and tomorrow at 4:00.

Yeah, Ajok plays in the next town over from me, West Chester, PA, he seems to be injury prone, plus he's only been playing organized for a couple few years, plays for a dynamite program, but he seems like another Chukuwu/Sidibe player, both effective at times, but never really consistently dominant

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

For the first time in forever, both of my “sources” have no clue about Qudus Wahad.  Said he and his camp are holding their cards very close to their vest.  

My one guy who communicates with the coaches almost daily said “It looks like Georgetown, but it could be Georgetown, Pitt or Syracuse.”  Said that Stewart picking UW put Syracuse back in play (obviously).  

The most interesting part of our text exchange was learning that the coaching staff views Wahab as a very similar prospect as current ‘19 commit John Bol Ajak.  Both viewed as “4 year projects.”

FWIW....I’ll post if I learn anything else between now and tomorrow at 4:00.

21 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, not sure if this helps..BUt Va Tech is beating NC State 47-24...and there is 2 minutes left. 

24 points with a shot clock!!!!

It’s like when the banner shows a score of 82-13 and then I see it’s NCAAW hoops

Even though there is a lot of basketball left I feel like UVA/Dook/UNC are locks for the top three spots based upon how all are playing.  I just don't see Louisville/Cuse/VA Tech breaking that trifecta but the battle for 4th is important, to avoid playing that extra game in the ACC tourney.  I've talked to a lot of people about the pros/cons of conference tournaments and it's no joke that a lengthy conference tournament run can zap a team going into the big dance the following week.  When a coach like Roy Williams says he's not crazy about conference tournaments he's not just blowing smoke.

some random thoughts about last night and I guess the season so far...

They were out of sync last night for a good chunk of the first half which continues a trend of just being ice cold to start.  Hughes tripped himself on a break away, people couldn't dribble, bad passes, etc..

The pick and roll with Chukwu is a broken play.  They NEVER pass him the ball so the ball handler is just left double teamed as Chukwu rolls.  I don't even blame them not passing to him since he can't catch but please stop running that play.

Jalen Carey continues to frustrate the hell out of me.

This team that has so much experience lacks leadership.  Brissett is playing hero ball trying to improve his draft stock, Battle disappears for stretches/ sometimes entire games, Howard's lack of ball handling skills and rbf aren't helping.

Other than Hughes and Battle how can these guys not make free throws?  How is this always an issue with Cuse?

The crowd last night was one of the best all season.  Even down 20 they stayed loud and during the comeback the place was rocking.  It was a nice change from the refusal to stand up/be engaged that usually happens.

I think Cuse ran out of gas.  FSU was hot but you can't spot a team in the ACC a 20 point lead and hope to win.  There were a lot of poor closeouts by the top of the zone that led to some open looks.

This team should be so much better than they are.  I hope they have a lot of pg and c help coming....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

some random thoughts about last night and I guess the season so far...

They were out of sync last night for a good chunk of the first half which continues a trend of just being ice cold to start.  Hughes tripped himself on a break away, people couldn't dribble, bad passes, etc..

The pick and roll with Chukwu is a broken play.  They NEVER pass him the ball so the ball handler is just left double teamed as Chukwu rolls.  I don't even blame them not passing to him since he can't catch but please stop running that play.

Jalen Carey continues to frustrate the hell out of me.

This team that has so much experience lacks leadership.  Brissett is playing hero ball trying to improve his draft stock, Battle disappears for stretches/ sometimes entire games, Howard's lack of ball handling skills and rbf aren't helping.

Other than Hughes and Battle how can these guys not make free throws?  How is this always an issue with Cuse?

The crowd last night was one of the best all season.  Even down 20 they stayed loud and during the comeback the place was rocking.  It was a nice change from the refusal to stand up/be engaged that usually happens.

I think Cuse ran out of gas.  FSU was hot but you can't spot a team in the ACC a 20 point lead and hope to win.  There were a lot of poor closeouts by the top of the zone that led to some open looks.

This team should be so much better than they are.  I hope they have a lot of pg and c help coming....

Not much help in the pg or C position yet...

Joe Girard is coming but he’s more a combo guard... Brycen Goodin is a SG

they have 1 center coming, Ajok... probably a lot like sidibe...

for note... Buffalo Native Howard Washington is redshirting this year for SU because a Torn ACL... He will bring more PG depth back next year

I thought the team looked better with Battle running the point and Boeheim at the 2, Howard belongs on the bench.

I also hate that they run the pick and roll and never pass it to the roller. Even when they run it with Dolezaj no one ever covers him but they never give it to him, very frustrating.

They should roll with Chukwu (for defense) or Dolezaj  (for offense) at the 5, Brissett, Battle Hughes and Boeheim. Carey off the bench or Howard if his head seems in it to spell Battle at the point, Sidibe for a sub at the 5.  But that starting 5 gives two penetrators and two outside shooters.

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I thought the team looked better with Battle running the point and Boeheim at the 2, Howard belongs on the bench.

I also hate that they run the pick and roll and never pass it to the roller. Even when they run it with Dolezaj no one ever covers him but they never give it to him, very frustrating.

They should roll with Chukwu (for defense) or Dolezaj  (for offense) at the 5, Brissett, Battle Hughes and Boeheim. Carey off the bench or Howard if his head seems in it to spell Battle at the point, Sidibe for a sub at the 5.  But that starting 5 gives two penetrators and two outside shooters.

Frank was cold but you can’t just bench him... even Boeheim admits the team goes as frank goes and they need him

Battle can’t run the point full time and Howard IS the most steady option we have... when he’s good , he’s good... when he’s off , he’s bad... but that could be said for a lot of people

this team is going to go as Frank goes... when he’s playing good , they win... when he’s off , they lose

but hes the only real PG we have rn

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Frank was cold but you can’t just bench him... even Boeheim admits the team goes as frank goes and they need him

Battle can’t run the point full time and Howard IS the most steady option we have... when he’s good , he’s good... when he’s off , he’s bad... but that could be said for a lot of people

this team is going to go as Frank goes... when he’s playing good , they win... when he’s off , they lose

Howard reminds me of Scoop Jardine, but less of a scorer. Howard has wayyy to many mental lapses to be on the floor as much as he is. And you are probably right, but he definitely needs a wakeup call, perhaps have him come off the bench against BC and see if that lights a fire under him. It seemed to work well for Chukwu

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Howard reminds me of Scoop Jardine, but less of a scorer. Howard has wayyy to many mental lapses to be on the floor as much as he is. And you are probably right, but he definitely needs a wakeup call, perhaps have him come off the bench against BC and see if that lights a fire under him. It seemed to work well for Chukwu

He played 40 minutes a night last year and lead the ACC in steals... he may have mental lapses but he also has stretches of very good ball 

he definitely lost confidence after the injury and hasn’t gotten it all back yet and he’s naturally streaky... not a good combo

Him and scoop were both wildly inconsistent but figured it out there last 2 years... Howard a better defender , scoop a bit better shot perhaps

Frank NEEDS to be better and I’m sure Boeheim let him know

1 minute ago, The Poojer said:

Hit free throws and it's a 5 point lead for FSU at halftime, it's so frustrating to see the missed FT's, the errant passes, brisette pretending to be a point guard and chukwu's inability to catch a basketball

SU has had FT woes for 20+ years...

Jimmy B never has a good FT shooting team for some reason

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

You have to bench Howard when he is playing like he currently is.  He’s been flat out terrible in every facet of the game, and his effort out there (especially on defense) is deplorable.

I agree we need Howard to play well, but if he continues to be a detriment to the team...roll with Battle and Boeheim.  

JB pulls Battle for Howard (seemingly to give Tyus a brief rest) down by 1 point and look what happened?!  Two quick turnovers by Howard and very quickly we are out of the game again.

I don’t know what happened to Howard between last season and this one, but he really, really sucks right now.  Also, the getting over the injury excuse is growing old.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

Hit free throws and it's a 5 point lead for FSU at halftime, it's so frustrating to see the missed FT's, the errant passes, brisette pretending to be a point guard and chukwu's inability to catch a basketball

He has gotten much stronger rebounding since being benched and he gives the effort, but you are right he doesnt have much natural talent when it comes to catching the ball on a pass. Almost as bad as Keita who my father dubbed, "ping pong paddle hands"

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You have to bench Howard when he is playing like he currently is.  He’s been flat out terrible in every facet of the game, and his effort out there (especially on defense) is deplorable.

I agree we need Howard to play well, but if he continues to be a detriment to the team...roll with Battle and Boeheim.  

JB pulls Battle for Howard (seemingly to give Tyus a brief rest) down by 1 point and look what happened?!  Two quick turnovers by Howard and very quickly we are out of the game again.

I don’t know what happened to Howard between last season and this one, but he really, really sucks right now.  Also, the getting over the injury excuse is growing old.

I mean he had surgery 4 months ago on his lower body...There is no chance his explosion is at 100%... he can play basketball and he won’t make excuses... but you can get swelling for a year that comes and goes 

he definitely isn’t as explosive as last year

and he was pretty dang good vs duke in the second half . He can score quick when he’s on

I understand he isn’t playing at the level he did last year but Tyus can’t be the primary PG.. Buddy is a liability ball handling still and can’t be playing 20+ min

Frank is still the best option at PG for SU. He needs to get his head out his ass

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

He has gotten much stronger rebounding since being benched and he gives the effort, but you are right he doesnt have much natural talent when it comes to catching the ball on a pass. Almost as bad as Keita who my father dubbed, "ping pong paddle hands"

Ever notice how Chukwu can dunk like a mofo on an alley-oop, but it is impossible for him to catch and dunk under the hoop?  Mystery of physics....

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I mean he had surgery 4 months ago on his lower body...There is no chance his explosion is at 100%... he can play basketball and he won’t make excuses... but you can get swelling for a year that comes and goes 

he definitely isn’t as explosive as last year

and he was pretty dang good vs duke in the second half . He can score quick when he’s on

I understand he isn’t playing at the level he did last year but Tyus can’t be the primary PG.. Buddy is a liability ball handling still and can’t be playing 20+ min

Frank is still the best option at PG for SU. He needs to get his head out his ass

Certainly not ideal, but if Howard is sucking like he has, why not exactly?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Ever notice how Chukwu can dunk like a mofo on an alley-oop, but it is impossible for him to catch and dunk under the hoop?  Mystery of physics....

Because I don’t think BB can be a primary SG rn ... only against certain teams with a certain  style of defense 

unless you roll with 

1) Tyus

2)Hughes 

3)Brissett

4)Dolezaj 

5)Chukwu

i can see that working 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because I don’t think BB can be a primary SG rn ... only against certain teams with a certain  style of defense 

unless you roll with 

1) Tyus

2)Hughes 

3)Brissett

4)Dolezaj 

5)Chukwu

i can see that working 

I thought about that as well, to be truly effective with that Dolezaj would have to get some early buckets to make them honor him more but he seems to be playing with more confidence lately so why not

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It is mind boggling isnt it??

Also that was why I was thinking Carey could spell Tyus at the point some too. If we are struggling on O, that may be a good spark off the bench

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I thought about that as well, to be truly effective with that Dolezaj would have to get some early buckets to make them honor him more but he seems to be playing with more confidence lately so why not

I honestly think Dolezaj is really good. He just doesn’t have the killer instinct.... 

he is a modern stretch 4 who played SG overseas. He can put the ball on the deck and go, his passing is phenomenal for 6’10... and he has a pretty stroke which is getting cleaner... not to mention nifty floaters around the basket

he is just really slight of frame...

he will be tremendous as a SR

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I honestly think Dolezaj is really good. He just doesn’t have the killer instinct.... 

he is a modern stretch 4 who played SG overseas. He can put the ball on the deck and go, his passing is phenomenal for 6’10... and he has a pretty stroke which is getting cleaner... not to mention nifty floaters around the basket

he is just really slight of frame...

he will be tremendous as a SR

I have been a Dolezaj fan since early last season, and he seems to be getting his mojo back after he looked a little shaky early this year. And I agree with most everything you say here, I feel like right now he doesnt feel like its his place to do somethings when he absolutely should.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

unless you roll with 

1) Tyus

2)Hughes 

3)Brissett

4)Dolezaj 

5)Chukwu

i can see that working 

I don’t see why Buddy can’t be the primary SG.  He has grown so much.  He hustles, plays good defense, and can hit shots.  I’d take Tyus and Buddy over Howard and Tyus all day right now.

I want Howard to return to form just as much as anyone, BTW.  I’ve seen spurts from him, but he has looked worse and worse as of late.  I think injury plays a role, but I also think FH has character issues that make it difficult for him to overcome adversity.  Put the best 5 on the floor.